Review: Decorating South

Posted in the Eighty Four Forum

G Jackson

Pittsburgh, PA

#1 Apr 2, 2013
Decorating South in Canonsburg re-upholstered one piece (a reclining loveseat) of my nine piece leather sectional sofa. They ruined it. Their reworked loveseat is made poorly. It does not match itself. I definitely does not match the other eight pieces of my sectional.

Decorating South in Canonsburg PA had my loveseat from Nov 1, 2012 and never touched it until Dec 28th, 2012, the very last job of the last hour of the last business day of the year. They rushed thru the job to finish it by closing time at 4PM, and the lack of workmanship is evident. The pictures tell the story.
I had never had anything upholstered before, and was ignorant and naive. I asked Decorating South on at least three occasions for help selecting a faux leather that would resemble my leather. They've been in business a long time, I asked for their guidance. Each time, I was told I had to choose myself, Decorating South wouldn't help me. So I went home with two arms full of fabric books, and my family and I made a selection from a two inch by two inch swatch from a book entitled Faux Leathers, that cost $85 a yard. Again, I asked what they thought, and again I was told that because my leather and fabric was out of production, the color would never be an exact match, so I had to choose by myself.
I ended up choosing poorly. The fabric was a total mismatch. But I chose it....Decorating South MADE me choose it for liability reasons. You know, CYA. Now that I've had a piece of furniture ruined, I can clearly see that the process of fabric selection should have included ordering in a yard of each of the possible fabric choices, and then comparing them to the original piece. That would have assured a more satisfactory outcome. That was NEVER suggested to me, and I didn't know to ask. I know now.
Decorating South told me upfront that the color of the fabric chosen would never be an exact match, but they NEVER said that they would not or could not replicate the styling, size, or craftsmanship of my original sectional. The work they did was second rate. Look at the pictures. The truth is in the pictures. It looks like my loveseat was upholstered by high school kids at the local VoTech.
Decorating South never even bothered to sew seams on the side of my loveseat. They just wrapped the fabric around and tacked it down. I looks like a 1950's vinyl chair.
The footrest on the recliner no longer fully extends now that Decorating South had their way with the loveseat. They had the nerve to try to tell me the footrest mechanism didn't work when they got my loveseat. Trouble with that little lie is that it's their store policy to make a notation on the work order about any broken or non-functioning parts.....you know.....for liability purposes....CYA. And there was NO mention of any non-functioning parts on my work order. THEY broke it.
Decorating South filled my loveseat with foam instead of fiberfill, which is what the rest of my sectional is filled with. Maybe I'm the crazy one, but wouldn't you think they should have tried to recreate the look of the original loveseat so that it would match the other eight pieces of my sectional? Well that was apparently too much to ask. Decorating South didn't think that was important. Their recovered piece doesn't look anything like the rest of my sectional.
The loveseat that Decorating South reupholstered has two separate seating surfaces. Well, the two seats don't even look like each other. One side is higher and bigger than the other side, the backs don't line up, the seams don't match.
DNicholson

Canonsburg, PA

#2 Apr 13, 2013
Decorating South recently completed a spectacular two year renovation project of THE FARM, which was named by Pittsburgh Magazine as HOME OF THE YEAR 2013, March edition. Decorating South upholstery is also featured in New York Times as well as 15 worldwide publications and magazines, some appearing on front cover. Check out hundreds of beaufifully crafted pieces on facebook, decorating south.
Pferricks

Pittsburgh, PA

#3 Sep 18, 2013
Lovely fabric selection and meticulous upholstering!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Eighty Four Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 13 min Martin Luther 4,019
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 6 hr Armpitsylvania 51,523
PA Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in P... (Oct '10) Mon R Nixon 186
Recent indictment linked to March raid in city (Jul '12) Sep 10 Bagman 21
What's with the junk hole across from the Giant... Sep 9 Finley Resident 1
Another case dismissed because not prosecuted i... Sep 3 maskedtex 1
Can we get a "pull up to the light to activate ... Sep 2 Finley resident 1
Eighty Four Dating

more search filters

less search filters

Eighty Four Jobs

Eighty Four People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Eighty Four News, Events & Info