Stabbing in Edgewood
Concerned

United States

#1 Jan 17, 2011
Does anyone have any information about the stabbing that occured yesterday in Edgewood, IL? I had heard that they have a man in custoday and that two people (woman and daughter) were severly injured??
Karen

United States

#2 Jan 18, 2011
Yes, Jody Harris and her daughter Lauran were stabbed by a man named Gary Schmitt..they were both transfered to Carle Hospital..one of them is in very poor condition..Schmitt is in custody.
Goosebumps

Mundelein, IL

#3 Jan 18, 2011
He was my next door neighbor in Troy. This is creepy. I hope he doesn't get the option to post bond.
Karen

United States

#4 Jan 18, 2011
Apparently they are doing alot better and have been released from ICU, thank goodness!! I just heard the Schmitt man is also being charged in the murder of his father last June. I doubt he will get the option to post bond but if he does Effingham co. will make sure its so high he will never be able too.
Beth

Nashville, TN

#5 Jan 18, 2011
Jody and Lauren are still in ICU they were just transferred to Carle Hospital in Champaign. Lauren has improved but Jody is still in critical condition. I am a friend of the family.
concerned

United States

#6 Jan 18, 2011
Has Lauren been released? That is very sad to hear that about Jody!! Do you know if they have started any surgies for her?
horribly devstated

Dekalb, IL

#7 Jan 19, 2011
jodi and lauran are both doing way better
horribly devstated

Dekalb, IL

#8 Jan 19, 2011
concerned wrote:
Has Lauren been released? That is very sad to hear that about Jody!! Do you know if they have started any surgies for her?
Lauran is still in the hospital but is so much better and Jodi has had surgery and apparently is doing better than before
curious

Saint Louis, MO

#9 Jan 19, 2011
What kind of surgery was required?
Pamello

United States

#10 Jan 20, 2011
They had to close Jodi's throat, he cut her from ear to ear.

stitches for Lauran. 5 stabs.
curious

Saint Louis, MO

#11 Jan 20, 2011
I am still in total shock! I worked at catholic with Gary..... Never thought he could do this. He was very nice. Creepy the people you trust could do such a thing.
Concerened

United States

#12 Jan 20, 2011
Well according to the EDN, he will be spending the rest of his life behind bars which is a good thing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Effingham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pregnant and looking for friends Jul '15 Newmama 1
Debate: Marijuana - Effingham, IL (Sep '10) Jul '15 tax payer 13
Who do you support for U.S. House in Illinois (... (Oct '10) Jul '15 Ivoted 38
Congratulations Rotary Jun '15 Deceive 1
News Police: 2 dead, 6 wounded in city shootings sin... Jun '15 reality is a crutch 1
Poll Heartland: Tabloid Twister out of control..don'... Jun '15 MuDuD 0
Catholic Charities (Oct '10) May '15 Shocked 18
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Effingham Mortgages