Landslide wipes out 30 years of work

Landslide wipes out 30 years of work

There are 77 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Feb 28, 2009, titled Landslide wipes out 30 years of work. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Jon Ostendorff * [email protected] * published March 1, 2009 12:15 am MAGGIE VALLEY Bruce and Lorraine Donin hadn't planned to live in the house they built in Maggie Valley, at least not ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Stays informed

Hendersonville, NC

#65 Mar 1, 2009
Hi Nikki. Glad to hear your parents are okay. I have been in and around the real estate business in Haywood County for years, and I have said for many of those years that houses were being allowed to be built in places that were extremely dangerous. If anyone is responsible for what happened, it would be the county, although I must admit, your parents should have known better. Expecting the person who sold them the land to cut his own throat isn't practical. That's why the county is there, and the county didn't do its job.
Nikki

Inman, SC

#66 Mar 1, 2009
Stays informed wrote:
Hi Nikki. Glad to hear your parents are okay. I have been in and around the real estate business in Haywood County for years, and I have said for many of those years that houses were being allowed to be built in places that were extremely dangerous. If anyone is responsible for what happened, it would be the county, although I must admit, your parents should have known better. Expecting the person who sold them the land to cut his own throat isn't practical. That's why the county is there, and the county didn't do its job.
I agree, the county, among others didn't do its job. Also- no one is blaming the land seller or the builder etc. The blame falls on 2 parties Dr. McAloon who was told what would happen & the county who didn't tell us what would happen. The laws have to change no matter who is to blame- we must protect other people from this sort of thing, This was an act of greed, not an act of god. It was avoidable-yet everyone passes the buck. Let's protect each other. Why were able to obtain building permits if our land & dwelling weren't safe?
Keith former Gun-bunny

United States

#67 Mar 1, 2009
Nikki wrote:
<quoted text>We all have our stories- the best we can do is support one another. You sound like a lovely man- good for you for fighting for your kids. I wish you the best!!!
Thank you. Even though I lost the fight, I am handling the lose with the Lord beside me keeping me sane.
Carlos the Jackal

Maxton, NC

#69 Mar 1, 2009
Its all about greed- the greedy developer, the greedy realtor, the greedy banker, the greedy commissioners/council members, and the greedy homeowners. All were looking to make a buck or save a buck
Kevin

Hendersonville, NC

#70 Mar 1, 2009
Nikki, in response to your question about building permits. It simply shows you what many of us have known for years. The government is incompetent at most things that it does. Some want to blame greedy contractors, and that isn't right. Those guys are acting in their own best interests, trying to get ahead in the world. That's what people do, and that's what has made this a great country. We have got to stop handing the government more and more control over our economy and our lives. If we don't do that, it will end up destroying this nation that so many have worked so hard to build. With all that said, slope ordinances should have been put into effect years ago. I'm from this area. My grandfather used to log property like this, because that was all it was good for. That's still really all that it's good for.
DOC45

Auburn, AL

#71 Mar 1, 2009
BobbyO wrote:
I am quite surprised to see so many ignorant,hateful and vicious comments from so called "god fearing people" . To take joy from someones misfortune is truly despicable, which for you ignorant ones means "deserving to be despised."
Floridians buy homes in North Carolina and contribute to the community by spending their money, paying taxes, and frequenting your busineses. Yes, we even get to look at your junk and cars in front of many of your homes. For the most part , the arrogant Floridians maintain their homes in decent condition and take pride in the transplanted communities in which they have invested their money.
These people who suffered the loss of their home almost lost their lives. They did not have any idea the were in danger unlike some of the hateful ones chain smoking pack after pack of cigarettes.
Shame on you hateful ones.
Thank You!!!!
Forma NYandFLorida 2

Boca Raton, FL

#72 Mar 1, 2009
Nikki wrote:
HI Folks- I'm Nikki, the daughter of the Donins. You know, the people who's home fell on them caused by a preventable landslide? LET'S JUST GET THE FACTS STRAIGHT... We did our due dilligence, had our land inspected & all pemits legally administered. The people above- a doctor-no less had been warned several times by Haywood County officials that their land WOULD give way if they didn't take certain erosion control measures. The county neatly layed out what they were to do. They did nothing & no officials or law enforcement held them accountable. THEY BROKE THE LAW & my parents nearly died. So- do any of you want to comfort my mom while she screams out in her sleep? Anyone want to volunteer to pick up my dad every time he falls? Anyone want to tell the Floridiots that they deserved this. If we-as people- no matter where we are from - if we don't take care of & look out for our neighbors, who will? Why don't you go to the good Dr. McAloon & haul his law breaking behind to jail where it belongs. Why don't you all ask the county officials why they never disclosed their knowledge that our lot was a ticking time bomb?
Its pretty sad that people blame your parents. They suffered enough of a loss in Florida after the hurricanes, and now this... the good neighbors in Maggie Valley would rather help out someone like a Popcorn Sutton that a couple who could have used their help after the mudslide. I just don't understand the viewpoint of these people who profess to be religious - pious et al... and yet don't show any compassion for neighbors who chose their little neck of the woods to build their house and make a home.
I just don't understand all their outrage. I look around at some of the property of the old-time locals and see rusty cars on lawns, beat up refrigerators, and houses with nothing to add to the views or the environment around the mountains. They have a treasure up there and totally don't want to share it with anyone. The Eagles had a song, The Last Resort... and one of the lines in the song said, "...you call someplace paradise, kiss it good-bye..." Wrong message... if you call someplace paradise, you then those NCers say that all newcomers are invaders.... That's not a very inviting thing to say about newcomers, is it?
We former NYers have been villanized for creating a paradise in Florida and now NC.... I guess maybe they just totally dislike us because of jealosy or something evil like that...but your parents did nothing wrong. I just wish they could be compensated for their losses.
Frankly, we so-called Floridiots have been making the mountains our paradise... and it's the so-called "natives" (of which there are hardly any indigenous people left there) are creating the ugliness there and its not just physical ugliness either.
CJB

Inman, SC

#73 Mar 1, 2009
Kevin wrote:
Nikki, in response to your question about building permits. It simply shows you what many of us have known for years. The government is incompetent at most things that it does. Some want to blame greedy contractors, and that isn't right. Those guys are acting in their own best interests, trying to get ahead in the world. That's what people do, and that's what has made this a great country. We have got to stop handing the government more and more control over our economy and our lives. If we don't do that, it will end up destroying this nation that so many have worked so hard to build. With all that said, slope ordinances should have been put into effect years ago. I'm from this area. My grandfather used to log property like this, because that was all it was good for. That's still really all that it's good for.
Amen to that!!

In terms of development, that land is good for nothing!! These greedy realtors and developers are like used-car-salesmen selling people clunkers for a hundred times there worth by convincing them that they are buying a Bentley.
CJB

Inman, SC

#74 Mar 1, 2009
Don't build on the mountains, play on them!!

On a serious note, how could the county let this happen?

Some people want to complain about stupid things like someone's exhaust or the amount of junk in one's yard while turning blind eye to an entire mountain being stripped away for development!!

It is easier to turn a blind eye to someone's junk than an entire mountain scarred with ugly "McMansions"!!
Nikki

Inman, SC

#75 Mar 1, 2009
Hey guys- THAT is the big question-How could the county let this happen? It would be one thing if they had no prior knowledge,but... What about a moral or ethical responsibility to tell folks they very well may be killed. How could no-one say anything? How could the good Dr. above not fix his land & get away with it? I will say this-- the people who I knew as my mom & dad are gone. in my heart, I can't help but feel they were murdered
CJB

Inman, SC

#77 Mar 1, 2009
Nikki wrote:
Hey guys- THAT is the big question-How could the county let this happen? It would be one thing if they had no prior knowledge,but... What about a moral or ethical responsibility to tell folks they very well may be killed. How could no-one say anything? How could the good Dr. above not fix his land & get away with it? I will say this-- the people who I knew as my mom & dad are gone. in my heart, I can't help but feel they were murdered
First off, I am sorry for what happened.

Secondly, they were victims of greedy people who thought they could beat the system and fool mother nature.

What happened to your parents is nothing new in this area as such reckless abandonment and downright arrogance has cost others their lives, and yet not enough is done.

How the county let this happen is anyone who is unfamiliar with the "Who's Who" in the realm of Haywood County politics' guess.

My guess would be that there are one or more big developers with a lot of pull in the "Good Ole Boy Network".
CJB

Inman, SC

#78 Mar 2, 2009
RedNecksAreQueer wrote:
<quoted text>
It's easy to understand. It's called ignorance. So, just "ignore" the whiny so-called locals and build, baby, build. It's the only industry left. Without building there would be nothing left.
"Build Baby Build"? lol Maybe if it is up and not out!! It is not practical in this area given the landscape and job market. Besides, I doubt anyone here, transplant or local, wants to see WNC become like Florida, New Jersey, or any other "trash heap, hellhole" people are migrating from.
Kevin

Hendersonville, NC

#79 Mar 2, 2009
One person made a very good point here. The real estate market is just about all we have left. That's really the root of the problem. Greedy this and greedy that is what it isn't about. It's people trying to make a living, and this is where the government is supposed to step in......when the natural tendencies of business threaten the well being of land, people, etc... Truth is, the government really sucks at it.
CJB

Inman, SC

#80 Mar 2, 2009
Kevin wrote:
One person made a very good point here. The real estate market is just about all we have left. That's really the root of the problem. Greedy this and greedy that is what it isn't about. It's people trying to make a living, and this is where the government is supposed to step in......when the natural tendencies of business threaten the well being of land, people, etc... Truth is, the government really sucks at it.
It is not as though the developers, such as Mcloon, are starving or barely getting by. Many are doing quite well for themselves.

The real estate market is one of the only things left in this market, and it seems the market is becoming flooded. To build a strong local economy, you need more than just real estate or any other industry for that matter.

Have you ever heard the phrases "Celebrate Diversity" or "You can't put all your eggs in one basket"? That has become a problem here.

Since: Oct 08

Maiden, NC

#81 Mar 3, 2009
Many people are going belly up because they did put their eggs in one basket, the stock market.
CJB

Inman, SC

#82 Mar 4, 2009
Reform Advocate wrote:
Many people are going belly up because they did put their eggs in one basket, the stock market.
Just as some cities have gone belly up by putting all their eggs in one basket as in one industry.
born here

Spartanburg, SC

#83 Mar 4, 2009
Meg wrote:
Why don't you all ask the county officials why they never disclosed their knowledge that our lot was a ticking time bomb? Stop blaming & fight for the rights & safety of your mountains & loved ones, I intend to. So it's pretty ironic that a Floridiot will testify before legislature in order to prevent an uneccessary tragedy like this from harming anyone.
LOL, never had too until outsiders started moving in. Funny how that happens a place where people know better then all of a sudden we have to fight for regulations and big government. SIGH.
AGREED! Like I keep saying- WE DIDN`T HAVE THIS PROBLEM TILL THE YANKEES AND FLORIDIOTS MOVED IN. CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Edward Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Moving to New Bern Mar '17 MamaBear 1
News Pamlico County arrests, citations (Oct '10) Jan '17 Howard 3
News 13 MLK Day Celebrations and Observances in Char... Jan '17 MLK eh 1
Tracy Parker Jan '17 Ju5tm3 1
Tracey pierson Jan '17 Ju5tm3 1
News Think You Know Everything About Liposuction Dec '16 watson983 1
Election Who do you support for State Senate in North Ca... (Oct '10) Sep '16 Wicked 26

Edward Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Edward Mortgages