Summershade School Board Represenative MIA

Posted in the Edmonton Forum

concerned parent

Glasgow, KY

#1 Sep 15, 2008
Someone clue me in on what the School board member for our school actually suppose to do for the school. My thought is that they are to oversea the function and disposition on the school its self. Here is one case I have been to several open house's and have been to several events for fund raisers and for the life of me I have never seen our school board rep. We have things in the school that needs to be looked at in summershade and brought to the boards attention. Who does that? Isn't that what we elect a rep for. Aren't they suppose for instance summershades poor bathroom quality be looked at and brought to the boards attention may be for a remodel or some funds for fixing broken stuff. If being a school board member in summershades district means you go to board meeting and do nothing for the school you represent then that is what we have. It would be nice to see our MIA board member at the school once in a while and talking to parents.
I don't know what a board member for our districts job is and may have nothing to do with helping the school they represent. So if some one can say what a board member does please clue me in.
board

Glasgow, KY

#2 Sep 15, 2008
thats a good point. anyone gonna comment? i would like to know the answer to that. is being a board member a paid position?
wow

Glasgow, KY

#3 Sep 15, 2008
board wrote:
thats a good point. anyone gonna comment? i would like to know the answer to that. is being a board member a paid position?
I am not sure if board members are paid, but they most certainly should be seen in the schools and at events sponsored by the school. Call them and voice your concerns.

Since: Aug 08

Osage City, KS

#4 Sep 16, 2008
board wrote:
Yes but I think only like $ 100
hello

Decorah, IA

#5 Sep 16, 2008
You don't have to go to a Board Member to voice your complaints. You can go to the board of Education & let them know what needs to be fixed. Or start a petition. If enough parents get involved then things can change. There is alot of things need to change there. The bathrooms, the way the Teachers teach & treat the kids, etc. Don't get me wrong some of the teachers are great but it's not many of them. The school is having an Audit if you have real concerns then go sign up to be a part of it. Tell the people who are going to be there what you want to have change there. I have signed up & I'm gonna let them know how disappointed I am with alot of the things that are going on there. Let your voice be heard don't wait for other to do it. I want the best education for my kids & right now I don't feel like they are getting the best.
Hillbilly

Glasgow, KY

#6 Sep 16, 2008
Then why have a board member represent our district if she or he is not involved in our school. Maybe parents should run the school. What i am trying to figure out is what is our board members role in summershade. Our if she or he has a role or not. If she or he has a role maybe she or he needs to do the job. Parents do have role in voicing concern at the board meetings. Meetings are once a month. Well maybe our board representative can take parent concerns to the board before the meeting. Then we have representation.
Citizen

Mount Sherman, KY

#7 Sep 16, 2008
Do you know who your board member is in the Summer Shade District? If you do, call them and voice your complaints.
Parent

Glasgow, KY

#8 Sep 16, 2008
The most important thing right now for school IS for the parents to sign up for the Scholastic Audit. They have 2 dates they will be there. September 22 and 23. They have times slots from 730 in the morning continuing on through the day. Sign up even if you cant be there. They can call you on the phone and ask you questions to. Summer Shade needs to be changed. Please dont lay all the blame on the teachers just yet. All problems you see now fall back on the principal. If and I said IF the teachers are miserable because of him then that will reflect back on our children. You couldnt ask for a better school 2 years ago. Now look at it. Teachers who dont want to be there and students who arent learning. Children get in trouble on purpose now just so they can go to the principals office and get a toy. As far as the board rep.... I agree.. they need to either become more involved with the school or step down. I believe there is more to the job than just attending a meeting every month and agreeing on everything Hurt has to say.
Hillbilly

Glasgow, KY

#9 Sep 16, 2008
Why should I have to call the summershade board member. Should not the board member be proactive with out having to call. but Understand this I need to know what our board member's job is. Is it to represent the district our just be on the school board. So what is the individual job of a school board member. All I see is someone that attends the meeting.

Since: Aug 08

Osage City, KS

#10 Sep 16, 2008
Hillbilly wrote:
Why should I have to call the summershade board member. Should not the board member be proactive with out having to call. but Understand this I need to know what our board member's job is. Is it to represent the district our just be on the school board. So what is the individual job of a school board member. All I see is someone that attends the meeting.
I think you are right.....they should be going to the school.....if they aren't someone needs to run that will....
Hooray

Decorah, IA

#11 Sep 16, 2008
Congradulations to every single one of you who are worried about your childrens welfare. I don't know exactly what a Board member's responsibilities are but I am reasonbly sure you can get that information at your local central office. GET IT, READ IT and WAGE YOUR BATTLE. Don't be afraid to do what is in the best interest of your child and everyone else's because they really are our FUTURE.
Sol Source

Glasgow, KY

#12 Sep 16, 2008
have been to the central office. You would be better at getting doc frodge to let you pull teeth than trying to get information. All you get there is excuses and put offs. Been there done that. If you know the job do tell. That is why I am asking a simple question. What is a board member supposed to do in the school district they represent.
heres more

Decorah, IA

#14 Sep 17, 2008
Also you should really look in to the SBDM (School Based Decision Making) at summer shade. You can read the monthly meeting minutes http://www.metcalfe.k12.ky.us/sse/site%20base...
The minute for last August are RECORD OF COUNCIL PROCEEDINGS
The Summer Shade Elementary School Council met at the Summer Shade School at 4:30 p.m. on August 28, 2008 with the following members present:(1) Ron Hurley,(2) Jessica Miles,(3) Tara Landrum,(4) Teresa Shaw,(5) Sean Anderson, and (6) Lori Hernandez.
CALL TO ORDER
Chairperson/Principal Ron Hurley called meeting to order at 4:35 pm following the pledge. All members present with no visitors.
OPENING BUSINESS
Agenda: After reading and additions, a motion to approve the agenda made by L. Hernandez and seconded by T. Shaw. Motion passed.
Minutes: A motion to approve the June and July minutes was made by L. Hernandez and seconded by T. Landrum. Motion passed.
GOOD NEWS REPORTS
Club News: The following clubs have started; KJHS, Academic, and STLP.
Video on Website: A faculty and staff video has been added to the homepage of SSE.
Public Comment: None
Student Achievement
Assessment: Chairperson/Principal Ron Hurley reviewed with the council the following placement tests administered; Dibels, Grade, Star, G Made, Success Maker (CCC), NCLB.
NCLB: Scores from last year have been received and the results show that all NCLB goals were met with successful growth.
PLANNING
CSIP: Chairperson/Principal Ron Hurley explained to the new council members the Comprehensive School Improvement Plan. This is a blueprint to guide the school based on state assessments (test scores). This empowers the parents, teachers, staff, and community in making all students successful. Kelly Biggs will replace S. Claywell as the component manager. A parent requested information on why the tests arenít made available before school starts and the council was advised that the testing is through bids.
PTO: Page Edwards has been elected President, Susan Rea VP, Marlene Cassidy recording secretary, and a treasurer. Recruitment is presently ongoing and will continue during Open House.
Budget Report
SBDM: Chairperson/Principal Ron Hurley answered questions regarding expenditures and the additional monies in the budget due to BOE taking over the payment of the copier.
Activity: Chairperson/Principal Ron Hurley advised the council that we can spend Fall Festival funds but not other funds belonging to clubs, yearbook, field trip (FRC funded), etc. A motion to approve the budgets made by J. Miles and seconded by T. Shaw. Motion passed.
COMMITTEE REPORT
Committees: Due to the size of the school, Chairperson/Principal Ron Hurley recommended that there be three committees formed that will sub-divide the responsibilities. During Open House a sign-up sheet will be posted to recruit parent members.
I & I Checks: Committee will evaluate where we are in implementing the CSIP and what we have completed. Chairperson/Principal Ron Hurley went over components we are working on, what has been completed, and what needs to be removed based on the test results. He went over some on the components that have been completed to date.
OLD Business
Basketball Goals: Chairperson/Principal Ron Hurley explained to the council the process/criteria of purchases by adhering to a bid list.
Vandalism: The outside basketball goal was broken after regular school hours had ended. Herbie Bunch will replace shortly.
Playground Equipment: Chairperson/Principal Ron Hurley gave the council the protocol that will be followed concerning the need/location for the Preschool playground equipment. All preschool requests are to first be given to Rita McMurtrey who will determine the merit of the request, and will present it for funding. Next year, preschool will be in the main building rather than the trailer.
heres more

Decorah, IA

#15 Sep 17, 2008
More of the minutes from aug.

NEW BUSINESS
SAM: The school administrator manager will be funded through a national grant and the new part time SAM for SSE is Jessica Miles. Her assistance with managerial issues will allow Chairperson/Principal Ron Hurley to visit classrooms. Motion to approve a SAM was made by L. Hernandez and seconded by T. Landrum. Motion passed.
FRC Parent Rep: FR is in need of parent member. The council recommended T. Rigsby and S. Rea.
Grading Policy: The first reading of the new grading policy was discussed at length by all members of the council taking into careful consideration parental input. The following motion was made by J. Miles and seconded by L. Hernandez; Grading for Math will be 20% homework, 60% test, 20% Accelerated Math; Grading for Reading will be 20% homework, 60% test, 20% Accelerated Reader; Grading for all other subjects will be 20% homework, 60% test, 20% journal. Motion passed. Policy will be amended with second reading at next meeting.
Parent Issues: Parents brought to the council several issues that were discussed and explained; behavior, recess, color coded sticks, snacks, caffeine free drinks, diet drinks, state laws governing certain issues.
Fund Raisers: Academic Team dance on Sept. 18. Motion to approve made by J. Miles and seconded by S. Anderson. Motion passed. STLP dance on Oct. 30. Motion to approve made by J. Miles and seconded by T. Landrum. Motion carried. KJHS recycling program and the selling of suckers only during recess/break. Motion to approve made by T. Shaw and seconded by J. Miles. Motion passed.
Fall Festival: Fall Festival in October with date to be determined by PTO. Motion to approve made by T. Landrum and seconded by L. Hernandez. Motion passed.
4th Grade Swim Lessons: A motion to approve swim lessons for the 4th grade at the YMCA was made by J. Miles and seconded by L. Hernandez. Motion passed.
There is only one member on this board who does not work for this school. If you want to have your problems adress then you need to go to a meeting & find out what they can do. Meeting are open to parents. Find some parents that will sign a petion to get things changed or go in as a group & tell them what you want changed! Do it for your kids they desever a better education without all the headache.
heres more

Decorah, IA

#16 Sep 17, 2008
Sbdm (School Based Decision Making)
you can read the minutes from these meeting here
http://www.metcalfe.k12.ky.us/sse/site%20base...

RECORD OF COUNCIL PROCEEDINGS

The Summer Shade Elementary School Council met at the Summer Shade School at 4:30 p.m. on August 28, 2008 with the following members present:(1) Ron Hurley,(2) Jessica Miles,(3) Tara Landrum,(4) Teresa Shaw,(5) Sean Anderson, and (6) Lori Hernandez.

CALL TO ORDER

Chairperson/Principal Ron Hurley called meeting to order at 4:35 pm following the pledge. All members present with no visitors.

OPENING BUSINESS

Agenda: After reading and additions, a motion to approve the agenda made by L. Hernandez and seconded by T. Shaw. Motion passed.
Minutes: A motion to approve the June and July minutes was made by L. Hernandez and seconded by T. Landrum. Motion passed.

GOOD NEWS REPORTS

Club News: The following clubs have started; KJHS, Academic, and STLP.
Video on Website: A faculty and staff video has been added to the homepage of SSE.
Public Comment: None

Student Achievement

Assessment: Chairperson/Principal Ron Hurley reviewed with the council the following placement tests administered; Dibels, Grade, Star, G Made, Success Maker (CCC), NCLB.
NCLB: Scores from last year have been received and the results show that all NCLB goals were met with successful growth.

PLANNING

CSIP: Chairperson/Principal Ron Hurley explained to the new council members the Comprehensive School Improvement Plan. This is a blueprint to guide the school based on state assessments (test scores). This empowers the parents, teachers, staff, and community in making all students successful. Kelly Biggs will replace S. Claywell as the component manager. A parent requested information on why the tests arenít made available before school starts and the council was advised that the testing is through bids.
PTO: Page Edwards has been elected President, Susan Rea VP, Marlene Cassidy recording secretary, and a treasurer. Recruitment is presently ongoing and will continue during Open House.

Budget Report

SBDM: Chairperson/Principal Ron Hurley answered questions regarding expenditures and the additional monies in the budget due to BOE taking over the payment of the copier.
Activity: Chairperson/Principal Ron Hurley advised the council that we can spend Fall Festival funds but not other funds belonging to clubs, yearbook, field trip (FRC funded), etc. A motion to approve the budgets made by J. Miles and seconded by T. Shaw. Motion passed.

COMMITTEE REPORT

Committees: Due to the size of the school, Chairperson/Principal Ron Hurley recommended that there be three committees formed that will sub-divide the responsibilities. During Open House a sign-up sheet will be posted to recruit parent members.
I & I Checks: Committee will evaluate where we are in implementing the CSIP and what we have completed. Chairperson/Principal Ron Hurley went over components we are working on, what has been completed, and what needs to be removed based on the test results. He went over some on the components that have been completed to date.

OLD Business

Basketball Goals: Chairperson/Principal Ron Hurley explained to the council the process/criteria of purchases by adhering to a bid list.
Vandalism: The outside basketball goal was broken after regular school hours had ended. Herbie Bunch will replace shortly.
Playground Equipment: Chairperson/Principal Ron Hurley gave the council the protocol that will be followed concerning the need/location for the Preschool playground equipment. All preschool requests are to first be given to Rita McMurtrey who will determine the merit of the request, and will present it for funding. Next year, preschool will be in the main building rather than the trailer.

Sorry its out of order it didn't go through the first time!
concerned

Hurricane, WV

#17 Sep 20, 2008
When does a board member stand up and say the school at summershade has issues and need resolved . School board meeting are for improvement. At none of the meeting are education ever discussed. Boards members worry more about offending people then they do making sure our kids are taught good education. Read the minutes and see that the board does not dicuss education ever.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Edmonton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wreck on 496 1 hr truthhurts 31
Wreck at crossroads hwy 90 an 163 (Jan '14) 16 hr sad 21
james Robertson drives a light blue beetle bug . Fri hellboy 4
Misty Edwards Neal Fri hellboy 3
Justin Pearson (Jul '10) Fri Big E 16
Faith Shawhand is still around Fri Haha 2
Edmonton bingo (Jun '14) Fri zooey 12

Flood Warning for Metcalfe County was issued at February 28 at 3:07PM EST

Edmonton Dating
Find my Match