12 worst schools in Ky: Metcalfe coun...

12 worst schools in Ky: Metcalfe county High

Posted in the Edmonton Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Parent

Glasgow, KY

#1 Jan 17, 2010
Jan 8 there was a article in the Lexington Hearld naming Metcalfe Co one of the worst schools in Ky.All parents need to read it.
well

Glasgow, KY

#2 Jan 17, 2010
I doubt we changed much in the last 9 days! Hope I'm wrong though.
Yeppers

Glasgow, KY

#3 Jan 18, 2010
Metcalfe is in there:

"The bill, sponsored by House Education Chairman Carl Rollins, D-Midway, would provide several options for intervening in low-performing schools, including a "school closure" option in which a school could be closed and its students transferred to better-performing schools.

Other options that could be chosen by a school's site-based decision-making council include:

■ Consolidation with another school.

■ Transferring the day-to-day management of a school to a for-profit or non-profit organization selected by a local board of education from a list of organizations approved by the state board of education.

■ Replacing the principal and at least half the faculty and staff.

■ Instituting an extensive set of specifically prescribed reforms, such as increasing learning time.

The proposal does not permit charter schools, which are privately run schools that receive public tax dollars even though they don't have to follow many of the state's rules and regulations.

The state would determine low-achieving schools on the basis of graduation rates and math and reading scores in three or more consecutive years. State officials first would focus on the 12 worst-performing schools and later expand that number to 60, Holliday said.

If the money were available now, the 12 schools impacted would include seven in Jefferson County: Shawnee High School Magnet Career Academy, Western Middle School, Robert Frost Middle School, Western MST Magnet High School, Valley Traditional High School, Iroquois High School Magnet Career Academy and Fern Creek Traditional High School.

The others would be Leslie County High School, Lawrence County High School, Metcalfe County High School, Caverna High School in Barren County and Henry County High School."

http://www.kentucky.com/news/state/story/1087...
serious

Glasgow, KY

#4 Jan 18, 2010
I wouldn't doubt it, the teachers in the Metcalfe District are just about as rude as the students. I've seen with my own two eyes, teachers hitting students for no reason, they could have politely told the students to sit down. But no they shove them down, which doesn't do nuthing but cause rebelion in the school. It wouldn't suprise me if the Metcalfe schools were lower on the charts next year.
citizen

Glasgow, KY

#5 Jan 18, 2010
Where is Ms. High and Mighty hiding?
School Board

Glasgow, KY

#6 Jan 18, 2010
It all starts with your leader. Oh but they hire her back. Just wanted to thank the wonderful school board. I bet they hire her back when this contract is up. Pat yourself on the back because you guys deserve it.
kygirl

Glasgow, KY

#7 Jan 19, 2010
read post #3---if you check out the whole article, if this bill passes in Frankfort and Gov. Beshear signs it--Metcalfe County High could be closed down and their students bussed to another school that is rated better (my guess would be Barren). Also the state could force the school board to fire up to half the faculty and staff or else pull state funding to the county until they comply. If they expand that number of 12 schools to 60, how much u want to bet the rest of Metcalfe schools will land on the list?? Is our school board even reading this article and what are they intending to do about it?????
School Board

Glasgow, KY

#8 Jan 19, 2010
Look at some of the people on the board. No education what so ever! Get rid of KT and ST. They have been in there since the down fall of Metcalfe education. People have to be replaced in order for things to change. KT and ST should do Metcalfe a favor and resign immediately!!!
citizen

Glasgow, KY

#9 Jan 19, 2010
All school board member should be required to have a college degree.
citizen

Glasgow, KY

#10 Jan 19, 2010
Oops, I meant members. Typo.
metcalfe parent

Glasgow, KY

#11 Jan 20, 2010
I cannot believe what I am hearing. This is so sad. You can go to schooldigger.com and see our ranking. 209 out of 221 schools. What is going on?
mommy08

Glasgow, KY

#12 Jan 21, 2010
dang I cant believe metcalfe is duing that poorly... I heard that if things do change they will b shut down... But North Metcalfe is doing great
student of mchs

Cave City, KY

#13 Jan 21, 2010
haha, i find this funny because the school faculty just recently started caring more about our math and reading scores. every grade had a meeting with the faculty and the juniors are being pushed more than any other grade. i dont find that fair at all. shouldnt the sophmores and freshman be pushed more too? every student has been required to take the thinklink test online during the school day it says where you rank in what subject cirriculm. if the school does get shut down and we are bussed somewhere else. dont you think parents will rebel because that means more gas money for the students who drive, getting up earlier in the mornings and causing rebelion in the school we get transfered to? the board of education needs to step in and realize this is a serious thing.
Desperate

Glasgow, KY

#14 Jan 21, 2010
North Metcalfe isnt doing so well either. Check it out.
skool

Tompkinsville, KY

#15 Jan 21, 2010
just wondering...do you like fish sticks???
Chase Etown

Lexington, KY

#16 Jan 22, 2010
In 1991, at a public meeting, it was brought to the attention of the Board that Metcalfe County was
very low on the list.

They had the nerve (this was when Jeffries was Supt.)to say they knew nothing about it. Connie Coleman ask for a comment on this situation and the board just sat like a 'owl on a tomestone.'

That meeting was attended by 200 people at the
library in the old High School.

Reform was just starting. So....this has been going on for a long time. But 'the day of
facing the music' has arrived.

Metcalfe will not allow but a 'chosen few' to stay more than 4 years. They want the money for other things. Teachers are let go at that point. It is now a system when the vast majority of teachers are in their first or second year.

To make a good teacher takes time and the support of the the leadership. Those who work their have neither.

The last board and leadership with any sense of what education was about occured in the late 1980's. It has desolved to this sad point year by year ever sense.

Please.....people of Metcalfe County.....change your board and clean out the leadership as quickly as possible. The state is poised to do it for you.

Chase
mommy08

Glasgow, KY

#17 Jan 22, 2010
North Metcalfe is doing better then all the Elementry schools in Metcalfe
mommy08

Glasgow, KY

#18 Jan 22, 2010
out of almost 700 elementry's in Ky North Metcalfe 377. SSE is 467. EES is 557
metgal

Glasgow, KY

#19 Jan 22, 2010
metcalfe parent wrote:
I cannot believe what I am hearing. This is so sad. You can go to schooldigger.com and see our ranking. 209 out of 221 schools. What is going on?
dang, hart and barren smoked yall! hart is 88!
Just Sayin

Northbrook, IL

#20 Jan 22, 2010
student of mchs wrote:
haha, i find this funny because the school faculty just recently started caring more about our math and reading scores. every grade had a meeting with the faculty and the juniors are being pushed more than any other grade. i dont find that fair at all. shouldnt the sophmores and freshman be pushed more too? every student has been required to take the thinklink test online during the school day it says where you rank in what subject cirriculm. if the school does get shut down and we are bussed somewhere else. dont you think parents will rebel because that means more gas money for the students who drive, getting up earlier in the mornings and causing rebelion in the school we get transfered to? the board of education needs to step in and realize this is a serious thing.
The faculty wouldn't have to "push" the students if they were motivated themselves to learn. I realize that no one expects that to happen in the real world. As long as education has to be force-fed, it isn't going to be assimilated.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Edmonton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
five star (Apr '15) Sun greatguy 11
Randall bowling Dustin bowling Larry p Sun Abraham woods 1
Wendy Kearney(or) Wendy McCoy Sun Jill 2
Jeff Dial Sun Meddling 2
Wet/dry vote Jul 22 Truth 30
the white house. Jul 20 get it 3
stevie page (May '14) Jul 19 Teter 15

Edmonton Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance