Edmonds PD follows-up with firearm sa...

Edmonds PD follows-up with firearm safety tips for neighborhood children and parents

There are 8 comments on the Edmonds Beacon story from Feb 11, 2011, titled Edmonds PD follows-up with firearm safety tips for neighborhood children and parents. In it, Edmonds Beacon reports that:

An Edmonds resident brought a found gun into the Edmonds Police Department on January 29, and reported that his six-year-old son had found the pistol in the dirt and bushes while playing in their cul-de-sac. The pistol was a small .22 caliber "derringer" type of handgun that was so small that the neighborhood children thought it was a toy and ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Edmonds Beacon.

Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#1 Feb 12, 2011
I wonder if this was based on the "Eddie Eagle" princples.
BackStabber

United States

#2 Feb 12, 2011
Never in my lifetime have I found a gun, loaded or unloaded. Never.

From all the accidents with guns, you would think ALL kids were being taught to seek and locate a discarded loaded gun, point it at their friend or sibling and pull the trigger.

The newsmedia portrays guns as if they were bombs.

The typical kid who finds a loaded gun (a very rare event in itself) is not being watched by his or her parent. Or,

how about kids (say age 6 thru 13) who walk to and from school alone ? When they disappear, the newsmedia never blames the kidnapping on neglecting parents.

Bottom line:

Don't blame gun owners or the 2nd amendment on the typical consequences of bad parents. Blame the fking parents (or blame it on the coincidental nature of bad outcomes).

If police want to protect children, they should give parents classes on driver safety, not guns.

Guns are the least causes of death.
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#3 Feb 12, 2011
BackStabber wrote:
Never in my lifetime have I found a gun, loaded or unloaded. Never.
From all the accidents with guns, you would think ALL kids were being taught to seek and locate a discarded loaded gun, point it at their friend or sibling and pull the trigger.
The newsmedia portrays guns as if they were bombs.
The typical kid who finds a loaded gun (a very rare event in itself) is not being watched by his or her parent. Or,
how about kids (say age 6 thru 13) who walk to and from school alone ? When they disappear, the newsmedia never blames the kidnapping on neglecting parents.
Bottom line:
Don't blame gun owners or the 2nd amendment on the typical consequences of bad parents. Blame the fking parents (or blame it on the coincidental nature of bad outcomes).
If police want to protect children, they should give parents classes on driver safety, not guns.
Guns are the least causes of death.
I have...last summer....found a Mossberg 500, 12 gauge shotgun and a case.
BackStabber

United States

#4 Feb 12, 2011
And I don't know a person (or know of a person) who found a gun. Usually it's the kids that find loaded guns "on the ground".

In low income/high crime communities, the probability of that happening is high. People will shoot someone and then toss the gun to avoid being caught with it.
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#5 Feb 12, 2011
BackStabber wrote:
And I don't know a person (or know of a person) who found a gun. Usually it's the kids that find loaded guns "on the ground".
In low income/high crime communities, the probability of that happening is high. People will shoot someone and then toss the gun to avoid being caught with it.
Well I just told you I found one...the person that left it did it intentionally and it was very stupid to do. I'm just glad I was the one to find it and not some kid or a teenager. Now I have another shotgun.
BackStabber

United States

#6 Feb 12, 2011
Marauder wrote:
Well I just told you I found one...the person that left it did it intentionally and it was very stupid to do. I'm just glad I was the one to find it and not some kid or a teenager. Now I have another shotgun.
The gun isn't yours until after you publicly announce you have it, and then a period of time has passed so the owner can claim it.

Why did they "intentionally" leave it (or abandone it), and why do you blame it on "stupidity" ?

Also, my wife has never found a loaded gun either (two of us).
Marauder

Anchorage, AK

#7 Feb 12, 2011
BackStabber wrote:
<quoted text>The gun isn't yours until after you publicly announce you have it, and then a period of time has passed so the owner can claim it.
Why did they "intentionally" leave it (or abandone it), and why do you blame it on "stupidity" ?
Also, my wife has never found a loaded gun either (two of us).
It is mine. It was left in a "re-use-it" area of our local refuse/trash receiving area. It was placed on a table along with a case. It was discarded. I have no reason nor legal obligation to publicly announce anything. A call to the local police showed that it was not stolen. Under the laws of my jurisdiction, it's my shotgun.
Ace

Lynnwood, WA

#8 Mar 8, 2013
Wow, backstabber....you re a real piece of work to try to politicize this issue. I livein Edmonds, and this was a great time to present gun safety issues to our kids. Stay where you are, dolt!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Edmonds Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: iLoveKickboxing - Lynnwood 7 hr sabrinawood 3
News Momma Lynn Records (MLR) Announces John Kingsle... Nov 5 Momma Lynn 1
We will REMEMBER in NOVEMBER (Apr '10) Sep '16 jay drai 679
Adult breastfeeding (Aug '10) Sep '16 Mr Thirsty 5
News 'Stuck in an All Lives Matter theology': Pastor... Sep '16 Ben 4
News Early morning fire in Bothell started by candle... Aug '16 Aida 1
Family Help Needed (Apr '14) Jun '16 SadDadlovesSonNDa... 2

Edmonds Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance