Haunted Stone Lion Inn in Guthrie, Oklahoma

Sep 17, 2008 Full story: BellaOnline 43

Guthrie, Oklahoma was the home of F.E. Houghton, the wealthy founder of Cotton Oil Company.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
elly

Choctaw, OK

#1 Sep 29, 2008
i am going to stay here in two months and i am very excited me and my friend are going to find out if it is really haunted or not this will be my frist time ghost hunting so wish me luck i am going to need it i will post back when i find out if it is haunted or not see you then
Guthrie Oklahoma

Oklahoma City, OK

#2 Sep 29, 2008
Scared

Pendergrass, GA

#3 Nov 3, 2008
I have seen the ghost at that inn and i am never going back!!!!!!!!!!
Lynn

United States

#4 Nov 9, 2008
We stayed there and found the house old. Looked like an old unkept Victorian. Grounds were unkept, did not see lush grounds as advertised. Gazeebo was nasty dirty, unkept, plastic dirty chairs with a lawnmower plopped in the center of it. House was dusty, sheets smelled. Murder Mystery lacked characters and at the end some paying guest played two or three characters. Food served was less than OK, not good, not bad. No wait staff, guest touched everyones used plates. Owner nice and tried but overall everything lacked in class, flavor, being clean.
Lynn

United States

#5 Nov 9, 2008
NOT as Expected! Save your money.
Sam

Hutchinson, KS

#6 Nov 20, 2008
I am planning on a trip this weekend! Our stay will include a Murder Mystery Dinner. I hope it's good. My friends and I are very excited so I hope our experience is a good one!
Pam

New Port Richey, FL

#7 Dec 27, 2008
I participated in a murder mystery and stayed at the Bed and Breakfast in the 80s, a year or two after the renovation. Had a great time except I had problems getting to sleep because of all the noise. I heard children playing, running down the halls and people laughing in the wee hours of the morning. Found out later that the place was rumored to be haunted.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Since: Jun 07

Planet Earth

#8 Dec 27, 2008
O.K., just curious. Small wonder only unregistered people visit here, LMFAO!
okedmondmom

Oklahoma City, OK

#9 Jun 18, 2009
I had wanted to go to this place for a long time. My husband and I decided to go for our 14th anniversary. We got a group of four other couples to go with us. It started out great! We all arrived in costume and character. We didn't have a great welcoming, but it was fine. Our room was just like the website had shown. It is old and all, but kind of adds to the whole haunted theme. However, my friends room had a completely broken bed! The cocktail party was supposed to be from 6:30 to 7:30 and was BYOB. We were cutting up a lot and having a great time, even with the other guests (except for two ladies who did not act like they wanted to be there). At 8:15 when the lady that owns the place finally showed up as the main character she spent a lot of time talking nonsense and then we went to dinner. The dinner was mediocre at best, but most of us were starving and would have eaten anything. During dinner the owner proceeded to use lots of curse words and sexual innuendos. This was actually just fine with us, as we were all adults and played right along. However, she spent the dinner collecting our dishes (alone because she has no staff), and berated us on our table manners. We were a bit taken aback, but thought maybe it was just here "characters" role. Then she pulled my husband aside and told him to tell one of our friends to stop using bad words or she was going to kick him out! She had said all of those words herself thoughout the evening! My husband said he would talk to him, but she insisted on being present for that conversation. My husband pulled our friend aside and told him we need to cool the language, but that was not good enough for her. She told our friend off and ended it with, " if you say one more word tonight you are out of here"! Well needless to say, it was not much fun for our friend after being treated that way. My husband was the character that was murdered, and after his demise he was taken to the kitchen to be told what to do next. The owner told him that he would play the murdered characters "good" twin now and would have to look like he had swum a river to get to the inn. She then poured an entire pitcher of cold water on my husbands face and body, with no warning whatsoever. He was very upset about that! Then see told him he could not change is clothes. At the murder mystery clue section after dinner in the living room, she was extremely rude to everyone that was reading aloud there clues. She yelled at us, told us to "Shut the hell up", and even made fun of a couple of people at how they were reading. She told one of our friends to sit down when he needed to use the restroom and told him we were not having a break. She told off two people for going in the hallway to check a tornado warning we heard coming from their kitchen TV. She told them they were interupting and to go sit down. She didn't even have enough people to play all the character roles, and so we all had to take two or three more roles. The friend she had told not to say another word, was given three roles! How does that make any since! She finally screamed at all of us, staring straight at that friend of ours she had threatened with removal, and said, "There is a such thing as manners, just where do you people come from anyway"! Well, out of 24 people in the room, only 6 stayed, the rest all stood up, got our things and left. She never tried to apologize, or set things straight. She just watched everyone walk out. It turns out she did not even have the "murderer" cast at all. The only good thing I can say about her, is that she had someone call all of us the next day, and say they were giving us a full refund. I don't know if she has mental problems, or if she is a drunk or both, but something is just not right with her. Save your time and money! There are other places in Oklahoma that do the Murder Mystery weekend, try one of those. What a shame, it could have been an incredible night.
Racoon

Edmond, OK

#10 Jun 20, 2009
I truely believe the whole town of Guthrie is possessed and haunted because of that Masonic Temple. I always get an strange feeling when I am in that town and have had many others express the same thing.
fistfullofdollar s2009

Guthrie, OK

#11 Jul 2, 2009
We stayed there Saturday June 12th & 13th . We attended the murder mystery party on one evening and the Pollard Theatre on the other. Everything was outstanding! Anyone with any complaints obviously has no appreciation for authenticity or history, and would probably be more at home at a motel 6. I plan to come back another weekend. Some good shopping in the historic district. OK, hereís where it gets good. Saturday night after the murder mystery dinner,(really funny, we went to the graveyard for a pretend Memorial Service for Elmer McCurdy; itís a true story), we were ready to go to bed around 12:30am and there was a paranormal team upstairs with some awesome equipment set up. They were very nice and explained everything. They had an infrared camera set up in the hallway wired to a laptop in there room. We couldnít believe our eyes at what we saw, ORB'S! little balls of light flying around everywhere! And one of the guys left a recorder going in his room, and when he reviewed it, he heard a child singing something, and there were no kids at the hotel that night! Needless to say after finally getting to bed, it took us a bit to get to sleep...lol CANíT GET THAT AT THE HAMPTON! I look forward to our next stay.
Bird Dog

Oklahoma City, OK

#12 Jul 3, 2009
Those so-called "orb's" are nothing more than dust particles floating in the air. Let me guess, the recorder was a magnetic tape model? If so all you heard were residuals of a prior use for the tape, happens all the time with those antiques lol!
guthrieborn

AOL

#13 Jul 7, 2009
To Racoon: Wow!The whole town?? typical comment from someone from "Edmond"

To Bird Dog: I think the people from "Ghost Hunters" use more "up-to-date equipment...LOLOLOL
Steve

Edmond, OK

#14 Jul 9, 2009
Guthrie Oklahoma Very Weird Place filled with lotsa weird people!
Ed- Yock

Edmond, OK

#15 Jul 9, 2009
I had a terrible dental experience with a dentist in Guthrie named James Seemans. Lied about the expence and then did such a sorry job that I had to go to another dentist to have his bad work redone. I will sue him for malpractice soon. Also has a very rude secretary. He gives all Jews a bad name.
bush pilot

Guthrie, OK

#16 Aug 14, 2009
Racoon wrote:
I truely believe the whole town of Guthrie is possessed and haunted because of that Masonic Temple. I always get an strange feeling when I am in that town and have had many others express the same thing.
I know what you mean. I just moved to Guthrie 6 months ago. I live south of downtown across the street from the airport. I do not like downtown. There are spiritual problems here and it seems to affect the people who live in downtown Guthrie. The Masonic Temple, I believe, does contribute to this. Guthrie is not a bad place to visit for a day. If you want to see some tourist stuff and check out the antique shops, you will have a nice time. But get a hotel room in Edmond. You'll sleep better. And I wouldn't suggest moving here. I only did since I am a private pilot and wanted to live very close to an airfield where I can keep my airplane hangared. That has been the only benefit of me moving here. Something just feels wrong about this place. And if you see it from the air as I do nearly daily, it is a very dirty place. People don't realize that pilots see what their back yards look like. From the air, it looks like a garbage dump compared to other places I frequently fly over. I am now already considering selling this place and moving to another state. It's a quiet town with not much crime, at least so it seems so far. But it just feels twisted somehow. Now I only go from my home, to the airport, and back. Never downtown. I don't even like flying OVER downtown from the bad feeling I get, though I have to when landing. The airport itself, by contrast, is clean with a nice long runway and friendly people working there. If what I'm saying sounds a little absurd: Stay downtown at a little inn for 3 or 4 days. If you still think I'm crazy.... well maybe you might be interested in a barely used house within walking distance of the airfield?
jonsey11002

United States

#17 Aug 15, 2009
Racoon wrote:
This is 'tongue in cheek', right? You can't really be serious...
Bird Dog

United States

#18 Aug 15, 2009
I'm thinking he is serious? Have you been to the west side of Guthrie lately?

What are these people thinking?
jonsey11002

United States

#19 Aug 15, 2009
Bird Dog wrote:
I'm thinking he is serious? Have you been to the west side of Guthrie lately?
What are these people thinking?
I think they must be doing something right because they just shot two movies in the West side of Guthrie. I guess I am not sure what you are talking about. Please explain.
Evans

Edmond, OK

#20 Jan 15, 2010
Racoon wrote:
You should watch it buddy. Guthrie is my home and I find it to be full of wonderfull and polite people. Calling us "possessed" is really going to far! You should be so lucky as me not call Guthrie HOME.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Edmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Plumb Genius (May '13) Oct 20 Anonymous 14
Philadelphia Church of God way overboard with i... (Apr '10) Oct 17 Me again 43
Any good local ghost stories? Oct 9 Johnny 1
Holy Spirit Condemnation!. Oct 9 Tamm 3
"Santa Fe Sam" accused of child molestation Oct 7 SJS 1
Review: Blue Quail Ridge HOA Oct 5 dean 1
bill w ward pd. Sep 29 truth will out 2

Freeze Watch for Oklahoma County was issued at October 30 at 2:56AM CDT

Edmond Dating
Find my Match