Lugoff, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2007

Judged:

I was recently on the island for an extended visit and heard news of the new Enterprise Pavilion building an 800 ft. pier. I was so excited, as I plan to spend a lot of time there, since we will retire soon. Much to my suprise I learned that the mayor and some council members were against the pier. I was told Edisto has no parking for any further development on the island. What is up with this? I only ask becuase noiw I hve learned that the old Belle Bouy seafood will be developed, and the town owns it. I remember the old pier, and think that an 800 ft. pier would atttract more tourism and more tax dollars for all the island businesses. Is the town a monopoly now or what?
Aresident

Mount Pleasant, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 10, 2007

Judged:

A lot of us moved to Edisto Island for the slower pace, lack of traffic, and the peacefulness it offers.

I would sure hate to see it turn into another Myrtle Beach and I think the pier would be a stepping stone towards that goal.

Just my opinion.
2gone2long

Lugoff, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2007

Judged:

Aresident wrote:
A lot of us moved to Edisto Island for the slower pace, lack of traffic, and the peacefulness it offers.
I would sure hate to see it turn into another Myrtle Beach and I think the pier would be a stepping stone towards that goal.
Just my opinion.
Honestly, your oppinion is greatly appreciated and understood, however Edisto is only able to house so many tourists and vacationing families, and the houses for rent and the camp grounds are full for the busy season, so it would just be another place of relaxation and peace for thsoe who are already there anyway. Edisto will never be another Myrtle Beach, it once had a pier in the same location. Rest assured if the tenns and young people living on the beach and island are not given alternative activities, eventually the same problems will occur there as everywhere else. I would love to have my teen agers have the ability to go to an old fashion beach dance, for some clean fun, or to have my grandson go fishing wiht me on the pier.
zip123123

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2007

Judged:

This pier is the world's worst idea. Sink it fast.
2gone2long

Lugoff, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2008

zip123123 wrote:
This pier is the world's worst idea. Sink it fast.
Well, maybe you would like to elaborate as to why you think it is so bad? This is a DISCUSSION forum you know.
edisto beach resident

Goose Creek, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2008

Judged:

You know there are so many reasons that I don't want the pier to be another pier like Folly. The pier being proposed is designed to be very similiar to Folly, with a pier head that will eliminate the ocean view, with as much rented time as possible for receptions, parties, music at all late hours and during the day. Many people from out of Edisto remember the old pier and if this one was only going to be for fishing it would be different. Now we have to content with the problems being brought on by a bus/big vans bringing people in from Charleston everyday. That is the plan from the project owners. We don't need hoards of people/tourists to be happy at Edisto.
We have to think about the sanitary issues, litter and contamination that our local system is probably not designed for and we already have a serious problem with our water supply in the peak season. Parking is just one of the reasons that this project is not within our cultural vision here. Lighting is an important issue with the sensitive culture now present with our turtle program. Seems everyone who has a disagreement with the way our elected officials are performing want to change our beloved beach and island. They infact have not stated their position, but have asked responsible questions about how these issues would be addressed. I say if you want a Folly Beach environment here, go to Folly Beach instead. Edisto is very undeveloped and that is why most of the residents came here...we're trying to preserve it as it is.
2gone2long

Lugoff, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2008

Judged:

edisto beach resident wrote:
You know there are so many reasons that I don't want the pier to be another pier like Folly. The pier being proposed is designed to be very similiar to Folly, with a pier head that will eliminate the ocean view, with as much rented time as possible for receptions, parties, music at all late hours and during the day. Many people from out of Edisto remember the old pier and if this one was only going to be for fishing it would be different. Now we have to content with the problems being brought on by a bus/big vans bringing people in from Charleston everyday. That is the plan from the project owners. We don't need hoards of people/tourists to be happy at Edisto.
We have to think about the sanitary issues, litter and contamination that our local system is probably not designed for and we already have a serious problem with our water supply in the peak season. Parking is just one of the reasons that this project is not within our cultural vision here. Lighting is an important issue with the sensitive culture now present with our turtle program. Seems everyone who has a disagreement with the way our elected officials are performing want to change our beloved beach and island. They infact have not stated their position, but have asked responsible questions about how these issues would be addressed. I say if you want a Folly Beach environment here, go to Folly Beach instead. Edisto is very undeveloped and that is why most of the residents came here...we're trying to preserve it as it is.
I am assuming you msut personally know the new owners since you have specualted so much on what "their" plans would be for the pier. Last I checked there was a noise ordinance on the Beach. Seems to me that we need a classy place on the Island to have a cocktail, and they do have a nice abr already, so why would they need one on the pier? I guess you forgot to talk to them about the fishing!! Afterall the Hoy sons are avid fisherman and that was the entire idea of taking the pier out so far. Also, I didn;t realize they were sharing plans with anyone. Well, I am headed down for the superbowl game this weekend, and as I understand it the Pavilion Bar and lounge will be having a SuperBowl aprty, so I think I'll look those 3 good looking Hoy boys up that runt he place and find out what their true intentions of the pier are all about. Ya know what.....its odd that you would suggest a bunch of nonsense would go on under the new ownership, its the classest thing on Edisto....of coarse I realize that class has not been a welcomed thing on the beach.
2gone2long

Lugoff, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2008

Judged:

edisto beach resident wrote:
BTW........you left out another issue you prbably have with the pier, especially if you stand behind the mayor. I read a troubling article in the Walterboro News sometime back....does it bother you that the pier may entertain to black fisherman........Because seems to me Edisto is the last white beach on the East Coast "So Says the Mayor"!
EDISTOONMYMIND

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2008

THE PIER DOES NOT NEED TO BE EXTENDED & EVEN IF IT DID THE HOY BOYS ARE NOT THE ONES FOR THE JOB. THOSE BOYS WON'T LAST ON EDISTO LONG....THEY WENT IN SCREWING OVER THE LOCALS AND THEY WILL GO OUT BENT OVER. WITHOUT LOCAL SUPPORT ON EDISTO, YOU DON'T MAKE IT!!!!!!THEY WANT TO EXTEND A PIER FOR FISHING & PARTY THROWING BUT APPARATEL THEY HAVEN'T CHECKED INTO THE LAWS OF ALCOHOL OVER WATER....DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH CONTAMINATION THAT IS? CIGARETTE BUTTS, TRASH AND NOT TO ENTION THE CHUM THAT WILL BRING MORE SHARKS IN TO FEED ON SWIMMERS. OPEN YOUR EYES PEOPLE!!!!!SAVE EDISTO & KEEP IT FOR WHAT IT IS LOVED FOR.
edisto beach resident

Goose Creek, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2008

to 2gone2long...I am embarassed for you, playing the race card. You really do need to go elsewhere.
Everyone is welcome to visit Edisto Beach, or own property here or rent here. I am proud to say that we have more diversity here at Edisto because people from all over the SE region are realizing what an institution Edisto really is...and most of the people we come in contact with really appreciate the fact that we have kept it undeveloped. People like you... we try to educate.
Edisto Island Resident

Charleston, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2008

My, my... some fact and some fiction. Logically, business owners do not buy property, renovate, and now oversee/operate a commercial business in order to lose money. Extending the pier for any purpose will be a pricey endeavor. Expanding the pier so that people can just fish and take a walk is naive, and not profitable. Building a facility at the end of the extended pier which is geared toward private parties can be profitable. The current operation has already disappointed residents by blocking the ocean view (as you drive over the causeway to the beach) with high sand berms. This is made worse by the business owners parking a commercial bus in front of their leased parking lot and right at the end of the (Hwy 174) causeway. What an eye sore! Yes, it might be their creative work-around to local ordinances limiting advertising, but it is not in keeping with the Edisto Island family-oriented environment. Good community stewards are quick to work with local officials and residents to find solutions. Sadly, that is not yet occurring.
new2unme

Lugoff, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2008

I have spoken with the new owners regarding the potential income for the pier. The plans drawn up do not have any buildings on it. As I am understanding it they plan to generate income from the pier by renting out fishing poles, selling bait, and charging to use the pier for fishing. I don't know about the concern of the view being blocked, and really if they own the property and bought it, then I think its up to them what they park where, as long as its not an eye sore. I love the cleanliness and restoration of the Pavilion in general. It looks a lot better than it did, and honestly I think the place has more class than the other places I patronize. As far as playing the race card, from gone 2 long....That is not for me to comment on, however I did read an article in the Walterboro paper a few months back, which did sound as if the mayor was afraid that black people would invade the beach. I love Edisto, but the mayor has left a bad taste in my mouth for years now. I just do not see a problem with having the pier extended for fishing and selling bait. Seems to me that the young people have nothing to do in Edisto but party and get drunk. I would love to see the Pavilion add to the arcade for the younger people.
Just Wondering

Lugoff, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2008

Edisto Island Resident wrote:
My, my... some fact and some fiction. Logically, business owners do not buy property, renovate, and now oversee/operate a commercial business in order to lose money. Extending the pier for any purpose will be a pricey endeavor. Expanding the pier so that people can just fish and take a walk is naive, and not profitable. Building a facility at the end of the extended pier which is geared toward private parties can be profitable. The current operation has already disappointed residents by blocking the ocean view (as you drive over the causeway to the beach) with high sand berms. This is made worse by the business owners parking a commercial bus in front of their leased parking lot and right at the end of the (Hwy 174) causeway. What an eye sore! Yes, it might be their creative work-around to local ordinances limiting advertising, but it is not in keeping with the Edisto Island family-oriented environment. Good community stewards are quick to work with local officials and residents to find solutions. Sadly, that is not yet occurring.
Sorry, but the Pavilion did not by choice block your vision of the beach with the high sand banks, the town of Edisto required that for parking safety.
Beach Bum

Simpsonville, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

The Hoy boys will not be long in Edisto. As a Edisto native we all know that this community stands by its neighbors. The fact that these guys are fish out of water here is clearly evident in their marketing strategy. Instead of trying to get the locals behind them, they are instead sueing the town. The owners are trying to bring in traffic from off of I-95 and make Edisto another tourist trap. No one that lives here wants that. Yes the Pavilion needed a face lift. It looks a thousand times better. But Edisto was doing just fine without the Hoy Boys and we will be just fine once they are gone again!
EdistoORbust

Lugoff, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2008

Just thought I would check things out on the talk about the Pavilion. First off, I do visit Edisto a few times a year, and I also happen to be aquainted with the Hoys, so I guess I'm nuetral in this but want to point out a few things. My family sold there property in Edisto years ago because the crap you have to go through to even update your home or even put a roof on is ridiculous. Next, I have a problem with any idiot who would ahve a problem with tourists coming to the town, since the tourism dollars fund this town. How else will the town make money? I love the people of Edsito, but your town leaders SUCK! Yes, the Pavilion looks great!! Edisto has always been nice with or without, however it will be alot nicer if we have a pier to fish on. On closing thought I was wondering how Beach Bum feels about the tourist trap the town proposed to put in down at Belle Bouy? I know its on hold now, at least since the town was unable tos teal the Doc's Property? Since you know so much about marketing BEACH BUM maybe you would like to comment about the town borrowing money, and planning to repay it with prohibitted funds. Crazier than that is that they paid for property and made plans for property that they knew did not belong to the seller..........Great Marketting skills for the town AAAAA?
Aikenvisitor

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2008

I am from Aiken and visit Edisto frequently. I could not believe how great the new Pavilion looked on my last visit. I know the town would like to keep Edisto the same forever but come on get with the times, change is inevitable everywhere. Good job Hoy Boys keep up the good work. I would love to see a pier at Edisto!
Edisto beach resident

Goose Creek, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2008

Our leaders are our next door neighbors. It isn't like it is in many others developed areas. If you lived here you would feel the same in wanting to kept our Edisto Beach as it is. The Hoys want to transport people in for the pier from outside, they are working against the locals in many ways you would not understand. Would you want that. Change is not inevitable. That is proven in many areas throughout the country. Why should we get with the times as the above person from Aiken states. Why,and why at our expense?
Aikenvisitor

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2008

I can certainly see both sides, the Pavillion does look great. Hope that everyone comes to a compromise.
New2unme

Lugoff, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 17, 2008

So the proeprty owners watn thigns on the island to stay the same, you mean like your undrinkable water? If you do not want to attract tourism then why did the town purchase the property down at Belle Bouy and propose a plan to build a bunch of things for tourists. Have you all forgotten that there use to be a pier at the Pavilion? Everywhere in this world is forced to change at some point. I bought a house and for years no one was next door, and then came along a housing development, so I moved and bought property that circled mine so I could avoid anyone being in close range of me. The Hoys purchased the Pavilion and it is their property to do as they please, and if the town does not like it, then maybe the town should buy it at a reasonable price. Edisto does need the extra tourism money. You have undrinkable water and no water pressure. If there was a big fire you would never have the water pressure to put it out.
chad

Charleston, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2008

Sooo...
I hear all of these discussions on the "New" Pavillion, yey I can't seem the get a phone # for the place that actually works. Does anyone know the right phone # to reach anyone at that property? Thank You.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of84
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Edisto Island Discussions

Search the Edisto Island Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
SC SC state senator refers to candidate as 'raghead' (Jun '10) 11 hr Bonnie Wheeler 1,120
Reality TV star busted for cocaine to run for S... Jul 9 American_Infidel 22
Man pulled from Hollywood area creek identified Jun 18 Mike taylor 1
Man who jumped from Ravenel Bridge identified Jun '14 Gina 5
Treasurer Thomas Ravenel to Enter Rehab (Jun '07) May '14 Leslie Olson 160
Review: Albanezinc Apr '14 peter sonmg 1
25 Reasons You Must Visit Charleston, South Car... (Nov '13) Apr '14 IMRightNURWrong 3
•••
•••
•••
Edisto Island Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Edisto Island Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••