Plainfield, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2012

Judged:

Don't let anyone fool you, South Plainfield is one of the worst places to live in NJ. I have unfortunately learned this the hard way. My wife and I recently bought a house in the area. After a few visits everything was looking good and we decided this town was good. Don't let a few visits sell you on this town. It has a train problem and oh boy is it a problem. If you like hearing a nonstop train whistle this is the town for you. Multiple trains blowing their horn 4 times per crossing, times at least 3 crossings as far as I can tell, make it a nightmare. Making it worse is it's not just during the day. I have been awake at 1am, 2am, 5am, and 6am to verify the loud whistle is unforgiving. My wife has contacted the Mayor about quiet zones that were considered a few years back and that lead no where. Please take my advise, don't move to this area it will be a big mistake, I know it is for me.
Williams

Plainfield, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2012

Judged:

Angrymwp wrote:
Don't let anyone fool you, South Plainfield is one of the worst places to live in NJ. I have unfortunately learned this the hard way. My wife and I recently bought a house in the area. After a few visits everything was looking good and we decided this town was good. Don't let a few visits sell you on this town. It has a train problem and oh boy is it a problem. If you like hearing a nonstop train whistle this is the town for you. Multiple trains blowing their horn 4 times per crossing, times at least 3 crossings as far as I can tell, make it a nightmare. Making it worse is it's not just during the day. I have been awake at 1am, 2am, 5am, and 6am to verify the loud whistle is unforgiving. My wife has contacted the Mayor about quiet zones that were considered a few years back and that lead no where. Please take my advise, don't move to this area it will be a big mistake, I know it is for me.

Don't know in what part of S plainfield do you live but I am a resident for 5 years and never have had that problem. Also I can say I live 3 blocks away from the rails and I heard the train some times but that doesn't mean the hole town is like that...
Next time before to buy a house close to the rails just think about it. South Plainfield is the quieter towns around.
UwishUknew

South Plainfield, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2012

Judged:

I live 100ft from the conrail line... no issues!
anonymous

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 31, 2012

Judged:

I have lived here 20 yrs. I heard the train in the beginning but haven't heard it in 19 yrs. I live half way between two crossings. Buy earplugs and stop bashing this town!
Owen

Sanford, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 2, 2012

Judged:

Are you one those people that cant sleep beacuse your mattress is too hard or something my cousins live near the tracks and trust me they can sleep st night with all that noise
Jonathan

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 6, 2012

Judged:

Thanks for the warning. I was looking a house in South Plainfield. I am a fairly light sleeper. This problem would have been a nightmare.
Shutit

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2012

Judged:

You're probably one of those idiot people who buy a house knowing its near a train line and think that once you're there you'll be able to have the whole railway line rerouted for your own selfish pig-headed reasons. I've lived here all my life and only on occasion notice the sound of the train horn. This town is a very nice quiet family oriented town. It only started having problems when idiots like you started moving in, knowing what theyre getting into when they buy the home but expecting to change it all when they move in. Eg: rerouting the truck traffic on Hamilton Blvd that has been running that route forever, but let's reroute them through a longer stretch of town and someone else's neighborhood cause your selfish ass decided to buy a house on a main thoroughfare. So why don't you just relalize youre an idiot, shut your mouth, pack your ass up and move out.
Home

Perth Amboy, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2012

Judged:

wow, sorry but I disagree with the above post. We've lived here for 40 plus years ; we didn't move in and expect the town to change FOR US but the town changed this TO US. We've been sucking in diesel fumes, cannot leave the windows open, have had close calls being struck by vehicles while crossing the side street with the dog, have had medical waste discarded our front lawn -there is no quiet time, ever.
The railroad and the trains are the absolute least of it. The speeding traffic, 18 wheelers and drivers traveling through as if it were are a highway are the worst. Used to be a very nice quiet area but not anymore.
CitizenX

Plainfield, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2012

Judged:

Take control of your town and county, people! I always tell people that South Plainfield seems like a poster child for what can happen if you let your town and county get run by gangsters.

i don't know that to be the reality (nor do I want to) but i can think of no other explanation for why the town looks the way it does in terms of zoning, pollution, transit and driving behaviors that are mysteriously tolerated by people living there. In spite of having the bones and potential of a perfectly lovely town.(And I actually have heard good things about the high school there, actually).

Boy, taking back control of your town -- "moving to South Plainfield and forcing positive change, " for example -- would set such a great example for your kids, other towns and citizen activism!

PS topix usually gets the actual name of our town wrong, I'm guessing it will do so this time too. Sufficed to say we are happy here, and active in making sure it suits us and other people who are sensitive to noise, pollution, environmental thuggery and general ignorance.
drainerman

Plainfield, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2012

Judged:

there is only some noise at night with the train and it's not too bad. you should have done your research before buying a home so close to the tracks. EVERYONE knows how loud a train whistle is when youre at least within a couple blocks of a crossing. expect to hear it? or move somewhere else. this is a great town to live in that has made great strides in cleaning up it's pollution and even fixing the budget problems from the garbage the democrats did to it.
George C

Edison, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

Judged:

Angrymwp wrote:
I have lived in South Plaindield since 1978 about 1 mile from the crossings at New Brunswick Ave and Clinton Ave.
The Town is a great place to live and raise a family a wonderful community, the train whistle noise and frequency of trains is horrible.
It seems like the rail road has a vendetta with the town and over steps it's use of the whistles.
I own a business in Piscataway about the same distence from the crossing at New market and I never hear the train whistles blowing.
Unfortunately the politicians for the town are close to useless so probably nothing will ever get done.
Ren

Kearny, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

Yes, you hear the train but don't trash on our town. Depending where you live the streets are usually quiet, people know each other and help each other. You don't like it here you might want to sell your house and buy something in Plainfield, you will appreciate SP soon enough.
Sharon

Bloomington, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2013

I lived in South Plainfield from 78 until the early 90's, off of Amboy Ave, I never heard the train. And it was all of 3 blocks from the tracks. Surely it hasn't changed THAT much.
Linda W

South Plainfield, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2013

Isn't it funny how 1 person complaining about the sound of a train maligns an entire town. When I first heard that train, it soothed me because I've always though of travelling the country. I hear 2 trains: South Plainfield's and Dunnellen's and neither bother me. This is a nice town filled with people always giving and willing to help. Put your big boy clothes on, and change how YOU view this sound. After a year, you won't even hear it even if it's running through your living room. I'm just sayin'.......
Sleepless in Dutchess Cty

Norwalk, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Angrymwp wrote:
We have the same problems with train horn noise from Metro North train passing and sounding its horn multiple times per crossing and it goes by close to 24 hours every single day (including holidays). We get woken up constantly from the horn. I've even put new windows in the bedroom, but it hasn't helped. Also purchased at least three sound machines so far and are forced to sleep with ear plugs in every single night and a pillow over my head. It's awful. I have also looked into getting at least a partial quiet zone passed, but needless to say, they make it almost impossible to accomplish. Meanwhile, it's sell our house (which now I realize wont be easy) or continue to suffer with the many sleepless nights. We live in Dutchess County and are maybe a mile or so from the Wassaic Train Station.
SP Resident 2013

Plainfield, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

Judged:

Are you people delirious or did you just live on the other side of town? For those that lived, or stated that they lived near the tracks were obviously residents prior to 2009 and have since, long moved away. The train horn and locomotive noise in South Plainfield is the absolute worst that I have ever encountered which has significantly deteriorated the quality of life for any residents in a 1/2 mile radius of any of the town's rail crossings. Worst of all, even after multiple residents have raised the issue at countless Counsel Hearings, REFUSE to do anything about it. Attempts to implement a Quiet Zone have fallen on deaf ears, even when 2 of the 3 crossings in town would only require MINIMAL development to comply with FRA standards.

I have been a resident of the town for 10+ years. Back in 2009 (or so) the town allowed for the rail traffic to be expanded exponentially. This resulted in what was previously 1 train every 4-5 hours to be expanded to 1 train every 30-40 minutes 24 hours per day 7 days per week. As a result the trains blow their horns 3-4 times at each of the 3 crossings in town. QUALITY of LIFE is seriously deteriorated:

- Sleep is constantly being disrupted by the horns.
Resulting in 1-2 hours of lost sleep EVERY
evening

- Unable to have an uninterrupted conversation on
the telephone as I am constantly being asked by
the person on the other end of the line "what is
that noise"

- Cracks in EVERY wall caused by the tremendous
locomotive noises/vibrations

And this is only a PARTIAL list.

So before you respond negatively in the future, let others that are SIGNIFICANTLY Impacted by an issue voice their grievance. Don't respond to them negatively when your signature clearly shows that you live "around and not in town" or if you have since moved from the town.

Those living near the trains ARE impacted and we have a RIGHT to have our voices heard and HOPEFULLY addressed by our "elected officials".

Current South Plainfield Resident
SP Resident 2013

Plainfield, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

Linda W wrote:
Isn't it funny how 1 person complaining about the sound of a train maligns an entire town. When I first heard that train, it soothed me because I've always though of travelling the country. I hear 2 trains: South Plainfield's and Dunnellen's and neither bother me. This is a nice town filled with people always giving and willing to help. Put your big boy clothes on, and change how YOU view this sound. After a year, you won't even hear it even if it's running through your living room. I'm just sayin'.......
Linda W - YOU live in PLAINFIELD, not South Plainfield. NJ Transit does not blow their horns the way COMMERCIAL railways do. Also, your rail crossings in Plainfield are elevated whereas South Plainfield has street level crossings. So, get your "panties out of a twist" as we do have our Big Boy Pants on and WE HAVE A RIGHT to complain. Guess you have nothing better to do but to surf forums and provide your 2 cents on topics you know nothing about (but provide your useless feedback). Provide some HELPFUL information to someone that is voicing a VALID complaint and maybe people won't respond to you posts in this manner in the future.
SP Resident 2013

Plainfield, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

Judged:

Sharon wrote:
I lived in South Plainfield from 78 until the early 90's, off of Amboy Ave, I never heard the train. And it was all of 3 blocks from the tracks. Surely it hasn't changed THAT much.
Sharon - times have significantly changed. Even 10 years ago, it was livable as a train would only pass every 3-5 hours. Now, a train passes every 30-40 minutes, 7 days a week.

The issue URGENTLY needs to be addressed. Taxpayers have (well - let me rephrase - SHOULD have) a voice. Yet, the town refuses to address the issue. Let me rephrase again - address the issue by raising our taxes $400 -$600 per YEAR and do not do anything to improve the quality of life for most residents unless they are "well connected" with the right people to get things done.
SP Resident 2013

Plainfield, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

drainerman wrote:
there is only some noise at night with the train and it's not too bad. you should have done your research before buying a home so close to the tracks. EVERYONE knows how loud a train whistle is when youre at least within a couple blocks of a crossing. expect to hear it? or move somewhere else. this is a great town to live in that has made great strides in cleaning up it's pollution and even fixing the budget problems from the garbage the democrats did to it.
Drainerman - Plainfield and SOUTH Plainfield are considerably different when it comes to railway traffic. South Plainfield has a commercial line whereas Plainfield has a commuter line (NJT). In South Plainfield, the trains blow their horns 3-4x at each of the 3 crossings.
3-4x at Metuchen Road (Sherbans Diner) Crossing
3-4x at Clinton Ave (Holy Redeemer Cemetery) Crossing
3-4x at New Brunswick Avenue (MRP Factory) Crossing

If you live anywhere within 1/2 mile of any of these crossings, you hear a minimum of 6-12 LONG horn blasts occurring every 30-40 minutes 7 days per week. db levels are +95 db INSIDE the home for 3-4 blasts... This is WELL above the allowable levels as it relates to the EPA Noise Pollution allowances.
SP Resident 2013

Plainfield, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

CitizenX wrote:
Take control of your town and county, people! I always tell people that South Plainfield seems like a poster child for what can happen if you let your town and county get run by gangsters.
i don't know that to be the reality (nor do I want to) but i can think of no other explanation for why the town looks the way it does in terms of zoning, pollution, transit and driving behaviors that are mysteriously tolerated by people living there. In spite of having the bones and potential of a perfectly lovely town.(And I actually have heard good things about the high school there, actually).
Boy, taking back control of your town -- "moving to South Plainfield and forcing positive change, " for example -- would set such a great example for your kids, other towns and citizen activism!
PS topix usually gets the actual name of our town wrong, I'm guessing it will do so this time too. Sufficed to say we are happy here, and active in making sure it suits us and other people who are sensitive to noise, pollution, environmental thuggery and general ignorance.
Citizen X - Trust me, people have tried to address the train noise issues. I also agree with you, on some level (not the corruption point though), regarding your comment. There has to be some type of underlying agreement(s) and/or benefits to the town and/or the current/future town officials which ultimately allowed the additional rail traffic to occur(e.g. funding for another program, support for a cause... being provided to the town by the Railroad...). The residents that live directly near the rail traffic, to my knowledge, were not made aware of the potential increased traffic/rail usage. Had we received adequate information , I am confident that almost ALL of the residents that live within a 1/2 to 3/4 mile radius of the rail would have petitioned to dis-allow the increased activity/traffic...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of37
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Edison Discussions

Search the Edison Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Harrassment at Durham Woods! (May '09) Tue Victim 24
Councilwoman, clergyman at odds over 'illegals'... Mon ROSENBERG 10
Man was masturbating on Middlesex Greenway, Edi... Jul 18 Anthony Scarpuzzi 2
People still live in Edison??? (Jun '08) Jul 15 Educated Guy 112
More than 1,000 without power in Metuchen, PSE&... Jul 14 Tim Onucki 1
Edison mayor defends 9 percent tax hike: 'The g... Jun 29 carl aabye 1
Stop the Verizon Tower MEETING TONIGHT 730 PM J... Jun '14 Stop the Verizon Tower 1
•••
•••

Edison News Video

•••
•••

Edison Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Edison People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE