Officer fatally shoots driver

Nov 6, 2009 Full story: The Albany Herald 26

A high-speed chase through Calhoun County climaxed with a suspect being shot dead Friday by an Edison Police Department officer, a Georgia Bureau of Investigation agent said.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tired of Stupid People

United States

#21 Jan 26, 2010
kay pierce wrote:
<quoted text> I agree with you, mr. Jones. I am Chad's step-mother. I knew him. I knew about the threats made to him by the Calhoun County Sheriff's and Police Dept. I believe it was murder. If you knew a few of the facts, the position he was in when he was shot - the fact that he had never resisted arrest in his life - the fact that the officer in question had it in for him because of a person reason - the fact he was shot in the back twice and in the chest twice and 9 shots fired???? the fact that the music was playing loudly when the wrecker got there - the fact that the glove compartment was open in the picture in the paper - how did they get him out with the glove compartment still open????? He was a big man. And, he did not die at the scene - he died at the hospital with no visit from a doctor - and yep, the cops took him there - more coverup. I thank God that his Daddy who served in Vietnam '67 to '69 did not live to see this - because he was a fair man and he was a REAL man and there would be Hell to pay if he were here. SOMEBODY NEEDS TO SPEAK UP. I've been in the legal field in a professional level for over 20 years. THIS STINKS! I hope D.A. Mulholland does not have water in his veins and shy away from this. A cop like this does not deserve to have a badge, drive a car and carry a gun. He is no better than a Mafioso on a hit. Yeah, you got my name - and will hear more when info becomes available. Thank you for your gut reaction and your brave remark. Chad was a wonderful man and son who had a few problems - but, bottom line - he NEVER HURT ANYBODY IN HIS LIFE BUT HIMSELF! Big heart - that's what he had. And I loved him. God Bless you and all of us if what we have now is this CHICKEN type police/law force - might as well give them grenades and let them go hunting for people!
I don't give a damn how you are related to the idiot that died, I was involved with this call and you coming on here lying about how it went down is only making your family look dumb and taking away from the little bit of sympathy that you were getting. Reaching for his insurance card yeah I'm sure that's what he was doing he had refused to stop for deputies, was drunk, trying to run people over but when he finally wrecks the car he decides to reach for the insurance card? He wasn't shot in the chest and he was only shot by one officer...He was taken to the hospital by an ambulance that was dispatched out the second any shots were fired!! No matter what the case is a deputy is not transporting anyone in their patrol car they do have any equipment to save a life in there and could end up doing more damage. Bottom line you just sound ignorant.....
kay pierce

Donalsonville, GA

#22 Jan 29, 2010
walkamile wrote:
<quoted text>
Who do you think you are to question me or my level of education?? I do not work in law enforcement it is a totally thankless job, but my late husband did and he died while in pursuit of a freaking idiot that decided they wanted to run.
Who do I think I am? Darling, I am someone who has worked in the law field for 30 years. I've seen it all. From the lawyers desk to the judge's bench. I am sorry for your loss. But, you have to realize that there are good cops and there are bad cops. Ever see Serpico the movie? Read the book? Why don't you if you are so smart. It will open your eyes. I'll tell you WHO I AM. I posted my NAME. Why don't you do the same? MY late husband went to VIETNAM - served two tours - was a decorated officer and he was Chad Pierce's FATHER. He died from disease he INCURRED in VIETNAM. Took 40 years to kill him. He lived with it. We all did. He was fair and he was brave. He raised Chad to be the same. Chad's death is on the hands of a cop who took the LAW into his own hands and chose to shoot an unarmed man inside a wrecked vehicle. 9 rounds???? The vehicle was wrecked. He could not get out. He no doubt was injured. But, you think the world revolves around you and your loss and the reason for your loss. It does not. There are all kinds of people out there. Some do not have the best interests of the public, just want control. If your husband died of injuries sustained from a high chase speed - and I'm only guessing - there are laws in place now to cease and desist high speed chases - serves no purpose - only puts lives in danger. Call ahead another cop will get him. ONSTAR can now stop a vehicle in that scenario. You are I are not the only widows. Chad Pierce left one with two beautiful sons. If you do not work in law enforcement, you should know that the first obligation of a law officer is to WEIGH BOTH SIDES - not just one. And he is to NEVER shed blood unless threatened with a WEAPON. So, get your head out of the sand and be objective. As I said, Read, Educate yourself. There's a lot to learn out there. And, the end story will be told here - I hope you have the guts to read it and learn, however it turns out. Chances are the D.A. will not even investigate this thing. Chances are it's to controversial. Too many politics involved. But yet, Chad is dead. I did not question your intelligence - just the cop who killed Chad. So, first be objective, then make an informed decision or opinion. If you can.
kay pierce

Donalsonville, GA

#23 Jan 29, 2010
Tired of Stupid People wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't give a damn how you are related to the idiot that died, I was involved with this call and you coming on here lying about how it went down is only making your family look dumb and taking away from the little bit of sympathy that you were getting. Reaching for his insurance card yeah I'm sure that's what he was doing he had refused to stop for deputies, was drunk, trying to run people over but when he finally wrecks the car he decides to reach for the insurance card? He wasn't shot in the chest and he was only shot by one officer...He was taken to the hospital by an ambulance that was dispatched out the second any shots were fired!! No matter what the case is a deputy is not transporting anyone in their patrol car they do have any equipment to save a life in there and could end up doing more damage. Bottom line you just sound ignorant.....
Hey, TIRED OF STUPID PEOPLE, you know what you sound like? A guilty party. Can't wait to find out who you really are take your deposition. Good to have more people involved. Get the skinny. Tighten it up a bit. You have no idea what it is to lose someone that way. And for you to call Chad an Idiot - without the facts - unless you are part of the GBI - well, who's the stupid person here? Hey, why don't you plan to meet me and talk to me man to man? I would welcome it. I do not lie. I can only go on the facts that I've been informed of. I don't you have higher sources. But, you've obviously elevated yourself to a level of the peter principal. You must be a "friend" of the bereaved cop - maybe you were there at the scene - maybe you have a reason to be defensive. Maybe you need to talk. But, whatever your animosity in this case, I think maybe you should back up your mouth with some real hard evidence. What "people" were in the streets there at 6 a.m. Sleepy little town. Why was there no crime scene tape around the crime scene. What does the incident report say? What really happened? Chad's dead. He can't tell his side of the story. But, guess what, genius? Forensics will. I welcome an opportunity to jaw with you on this one. Like I said. My name is posted. A chicken like you would never do that. So, insult me and my family some more. Only shows your ignorance not to be able to debate an issue and inability to disect information. I love a good debate. Crying is over. Call me an idiot to my face. I dare you.
rlw

Tallahassee, FL

#24 Feb 26, 2010
Ga Deputy wrote:
I don't know the guy that got shot, Pierce, I believe was his last name. I feel for his family. From a law enforcement point of view, however, I can see how the officer felt that his life may have been in danger. IF what they said happened, actually happened.
First off, 90mhp is WAY to fast. Anybody would agree with that. So, you initiate a stop, typical. The guy winds up running from you (10-80), and you wind up chasing this vehicle thru traffic and low light conditions for 20 MILES. He wrecks.
As an officer, you would have to wonder, just why this guy is trying to get away from you. Usually, it's because someone has a warrant, they have drugs, they have a suspended license, USUALLY NOT BECAUSE THEY HAVE POSSIBLY HAD TOO MUCH TO DRINK. So, Keep that in mind.
As you get out of your patrol car and approach the vehicle, you give the driver verbal commands to put your hands where they can be seen. THIS IS FOR OFFICER SAFETY. THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF ANY OFFICER'S DAILY DUTIES. So, after giving verbal commands, in vain so it seems, your suspect begins digging through his clove compartment?!
This is where it gets very intense. I wasn't there, and thankfully I haven't been in that situation, YET. But think about it. AS AN OFFICER, WOULD YOU WAIT TO SEE WHAT HE'S DIGGING FOR? If you wait, and it turns out to be his driver's license, THAT'S GREAT. HOWEVER, if it turns out to be a PISTOL, and by the time you wait to see that pistol, it's pointed at YOU, and it's too late.
Now here's the PRICELESS question...Is YOUR LIFE worth waiting to see what he's going to pull out of that console?? Not only YOUR LIFE, but YOUR FAMILY.
I'm not saying that I would have shot the man, but I'm not saying that I wouldn't have either. It's really hard to criticize the officer because we weren't there, YOU and ME WEREN'T PUT IN THAT POSITION. After the fact we may all have done it differently, or we may have all done exactly what he did.
BUT IT'S NOT FAIR TO CHASTISE THAT OFFICER FOR HIS ACTIONS.
The family of the victim and officer, his family, and his agency are in my thoughts.
As an officer, he did what ALL OFFICERS hope and try to do every day, MAKE IT HOME ALIVE.
ok i understand that, but no u do not have to shoot first, u have other ways u can handle it, that,s what u have laser guns for, bill clubs, and ext:
rlw

Tallahassee, FL

#25 Feb 26, 2010
Tired of Stupid People wrote:
<quoted text>
and as upset as u r getting shows guilt
2sidestoeverysto ry

Excelsior, MN

#26 Jun 1, 2011
Kay pierce isnt giving you the entire story...was chad asked to leave calhoun county? yes Why? because of his behavior, which included leaving a death threat on the answering machine of a county deputy. The sheriff at the time the incident occurred exercised leniency due to his relationship with Chads father who as mentioned earlier was a great guy. I grew up with chad and his brother and love them both, but to say that chad wasnt partially responsible for what happened is simply the myopic view of an interested party. My prayers continue for chads wife and child as well as the rest of the family

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Edison Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
calling out the guy who raped me ten years ago!~ 6 hr Fat Albert 4
Majority of Blakely 19 hr curious 2
jealous in colquitt Tue strongwoman199 2
Adultery in our community (Apr '14) Tue RAPED BY THE STAR... 15
Pot smokers Dec 22 Bob Mrley 9
Mother, aged 92, grew up in Cuthbert. (Dec '12) Dec 17 Bluffton 3
never learns Dec 17 chelle 15
Edison Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web