Officer fatally shoots driver

Nov 6, 2009 Full story: The Albany Herald 26

A high-speed chase through Calhoun County climaxed with a suspect being shot dead Friday by an Edison Police Department officer, a Georgia Bureau of Investigation agent said.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
CJo

Atlanta, GA

#1 Nov 8, 2009
My thoughts, love & prayers are with Chad`s family.
Remember that God will take care of us, the situation & the people involved. Trust Him! Love you all dearly!!
jimmy t

Byron, GA

#2 Nov 8, 2009
i think its wrong to shoot an unarmed man,even in the old times in the west the toughest of outlaws gave u a chance to draw!!!!!i hope that justice is served and the killer that shot chad gets his!!!chad just wrecked,he was delerious!!yeah he was wrong to elude the law but should he die for it?????????id hate to know i was pulled over and reached for my insurance card n the glove box and died for it
Ga Deputy

Bainbridge, GA

#3 Nov 8, 2009
I don't know the guy that got shot, Pierce, I believe was his last name. I feel for his family. From a law enforcement point of view, however, I can see how the officer felt that his life may have been in danger. IF what they said happened, actually happened.

First off, 90mhp is WAY to fast. Anybody would agree with that. So, you initiate a stop, typical. The guy winds up running from you (10-80), and you wind up chasing this vehicle thru traffic and low light conditions for 20 MILES. He wrecks.

As an officer, you would have to wonder, just why this guy is trying to get away from you. Usually, it's because someone has a warrant, they have drugs, they have a suspended license, USUALLY NOT BECAUSE THEY HAVE POSSIBLY HAD TOO MUCH TO DRINK. So, Keep that in mind.

As you get out of your patrol car and approach the vehicle, you give the driver verbal commands to put your hands where they can be seen. THIS IS FOR OFFICER SAFETY. THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF ANY OFFICER'S DAILY DUTIES. So, after giving verbal commands, in vain so it seems, your suspect begins digging through his clove compartment?!

This is where it gets very intense. I wasn't there, and thankfully I haven't been in that situation, YET. But think about it. AS AN OFFICER, WOULD YOU WAIT TO SEE WHAT HE'S DIGGING FOR? If you wait, and it turns out to be his driver's license, THAT'S GREAT. HOWEVER, if it turns out to be a PISTOL, and by the time you wait to see that pistol, it's pointed at YOU, and it's too late.

Now here's the PRICELESS question...Is YOUR LIFE worth waiting to see what he's going to pull out of that console?? Not only YOUR LIFE, but YOUR FAMILY.

I'm not saying that I would have shot the man, but I'm not saying that I wouldn't have either. It's really hard to criticize the officer because we weren't there, YOU and ME WEREN'T PUT IN THAT POSITION. After the fact we may all have done it differently, or we may have all done exactly what he did.

BUT IT'S NOT FAIR TO CHASTISE THAT OFFICER FOR HIS ACTIONS.

The family of the victim and officer, his family, and his agency are in my thoughts.

As an officer, he did what ALL OFFICERS hope and try to do every day, MAKE IT HOME ALIVE.
Georgia

Mobile, AL

#4 Nov 9, 2009
To the Ga Officer who wrote in. How dare you! Police officers along with all law enforcement are trained for this type situation, and yes you are to wait!! You as an officer of the law have to know all the facts before making the decision to take a life. Yes, we as citizens expect you to wait to see if your life is actually in danger. What if this had been two civilians?!! The person who fired the fatal shots would be in jail, and so should this officer. No matter what, at the end of the day this officer shot and killed and unarmed man. This no matter how you want to justify it is murder. No one should be allowed to get away with this type of crime especially not the people who are suppose to uphold the laws of our land. All law enforcement should be held to the highest of standards. I do feel for the officer, I don't think he intitially killed this man, but the facts are the facts and he/she needs to own up and take responsibility. If all law enforcement in Georgia thinks like you..God help us all.
Jane

Demotte, IN

#5 Nov 11, 2009
Chad and the police officer knew each other since high schoool, and there had been bad blood between them. Chad's hometown was Edison. What if this officer told Chad that he would kill him if he came back to Edison for what ever reason. Could that have been the motive for the officer shooting Chad? Chad must have felt that his life was in danger from this individual, who already had it out for him. Sounds like Chad was running from this officer because he knew this guy was going to kill him and use the badge to hide behind. The officers could have used a spotlight to blind the victim and then surround him and get him out of the vehicle. With redneck rambo officers like this no one is safe when driving through these small towns.
rob

Geneva, NY

#6 Nov 19, 2009
i don't bagree with a driver, driving at that rate of speed, but at the same tokin,i think that if that officer was close enough to the driver of the white truck and could clearly see the driver reach for the console (or) the glovement, he would have lotiable time to make some adjustment, and may-be shoot the guy in the arm(or) some other part of the body and not take his life.from what i have read in the news colum,personally i think the office over reacted... he must be a rookie...
mr jones

Donalsonville, GA

#7 Nov 27, 2009
it was murder
Prohiker

Kissimmee, FL

#8 Nov 28, 2009
I think that the officer did his job as he had been trained to do. Law breakers do not have the right to take charge of a situation such as described. The officer must remain in charge until the situation is resolved. The violator made several serious mistakes and he paid a terrible price for being stupid.
cousin of victem

Memphis, TN

#9 Nov 30, 2009
facts are:
officer emptied his clip while 2nd and 3rd on scene yelled at him to stand down. then they pulled him out of the truck and laid him on the ground and gave no medical attention for 15 minutes. he bled out is the official cause of death.he had defensive wounds in his hands and arms from the bullets. this officer had been discharged from another city for use of excessive force.

to bad its not the old west jimmy t mentioned above or it would be an eye for an eye.
grown woman

Sycamore, GA

#10 Dec 25, 2009
this man needs to pay for what he done.thats whats wrong with these country cop in georgia.they think that, that badge gives them the right to shot first and ask question later.my prayer go out to the family,but rest asure,when his ass ,if his ass get behind them bars, i hope he didnt do anyone wrong other than this guy.bcause they will take care of him.
Jesus

Longmeadow, MA

#11 Jan 5, 2010
That was cold blooded murder and that offical will pay for it. He will stand in Judgement for it and it'll be too late to beg God. All bad cops will burn in HELL!
The Reaper

Montezuma, GA

#12 Jan 12, 2010
CJo wrote:
My thoughts, love & prayers are with Chad`s family.
Remember that God will take care of us, the situation & the people involved. Trust Him! Love you all dearly!!
WELL TILL YOU ALL KNOW THE ACTUAL FACTS ! The Incident is being Investigated and The Law Enforcement Officer I know personally made a Judgement call....They have seconds to make, When the Courts have years..Till you wear a badge and do The job...Don't Critize Him or The Profession. And he was NOT let go for abusive actions,he retired!!!!
Know Your Facts

Montezuma, GA

#13 Jan 13, 2010
Jane wrote:
Chad and the police officer knew each other since high schoool, and there had been bad blood between them. Chad's hometown was Edison. What if this officer told Chad that he would kill him if he came back to Edison for what ever reason. Could that have been the motive for the officer shooting Chad? Chad must have felt that his life was in danger from this individual, who already had it out for him. Sounds like Chad was running from this officer because he knew this guy was going to kill him and use the badge to hide behind. The officers could have used a spotlight to blind the victim and then surround him and get him out of the vehicle. With redneck rambo officers like this no one is safe when driving through these small towns.
This Individual Undoubtly Knows Nothing..Chad was Just beginning to Walk When the Officer Started His Law Enforcement Career..The Officer is Good Fellow.For The Redneck Rambo statement..That shows How educated You are....Everyone Knows what to do with the Tiger,except the one that has him by the tail..I know all parties involved.So Do Not Jump to conclusions of What took place.
The Reaper

Coolidge, GA

#14 Jan 13, 2010
Georgia wrote:
To the Ga Officer who wrote in. How dare you! Police officers along with all law enforcement are trained for this type situation, and yes you are to wait!! You as an officer of the law have to know all the facts before making the decision to take a life. Yes, we as citizens expect you to wait to see if your life is actually in danger. What if this had been two civilians?!! The person who fired the fatal shots would be in jail, and so should this officer. No matter what, at the end of the day this officer shot and killed and unarmed man. This no matter how you want to justify it is murder. No one should be allowed to get away with this type of crime especially not the people who are suppose to uphold the laws of our land. All law enforcement should be held to the highest of standards. I do feel for the officer, I don't think he intitially killed this man, but the facts are the facts and he/she needs to own up and take responsibility. If all law enforcement in Georgia thinks like you..God help us all.
A Reply: There is NO officer gonna wait and be shot at before he decides to take action.But The Problem is that none of the People on here have a clue of what happen. You all are going by what you read here and news reports.You know if the news reports it,that it is True>NOT...I get so pissed when people watch shows like CSI and think it really works like that...Wear The Badge,Uniform and Work Shift work and walk just a mile in them shoes,then you can critize.

So Mobile Get Law Enforcement Job.....And make the decison.are You going Home after my shift or the Funeral Home..The choice is yours!!
Amen

United States

#15 Jan 13, 2010
Until you know what it feels like to make the decision...to stand in an officers shoes and know that if you do the wrong thing or make the wrong choice you or someone else you are paid to protect might not make it home then you have no damn right judging anyone. I know that officer and I know how it felt to be there that day to worry for every second that that crazy asshole driving that car was going to kill someone I cared about or someone else in town. The officer made the right choice and as much as that mans family is hurting I guarantee all of you that the officer is paying more than you know he took it hard that he had to take a life but he made the right choice!!! All of you would have a different opinion if it was you on the road he was trying to mow down or if you knew he had threatened to kill the next officer that pulled him over!!!!
walkamile

Norman Park, GA

#16 Jan 13, 2010
Amen wrote:
Until you know what it feels like to make the decision...to stand in an officers shoes and know that if you do the wrong thing or make the wrong choice you or someone else you are paid to protect might not make it home then you have no damn right judging anyone. I know that officer and I know how it felt to be there that day to worry for every second that that crazy asshole driving that car was going to kill someone I cared about or someone else in town. The officer made the right choice and as much as that mans family is hurting I guarantee all of you that the officer is paying more than you know he took it hard that he had to take a life but he made the right choice!!! All of you would have a different opinion if it was you on the road he was trying to mow down or if you knew he had threatened to kill the next officer that pulled him over!!!!
I agree!! This man put countless lives in danger by driving like a freaking idiot!! Nobody out in the public understands what a situation like this does to the officer or to the department they serve, it's hard on everybody and till you have walked a mile in an officer's shoes you have no right to judge what's right or what's wrong.
kay pierce

Donalsonville, GA

#17 Jan 18, 2010
mr jones wrote:
it was murder
I agree with you, mr. Jones. I am Chad's step-mother. I knew him. I knew about the threats made to him by the Calhoun County Sheriff's and Police Dept. I believe it was murder. If you knew a few of the facts, the position he was in when he was shot - the fact that he had never resisted arrest in his life - the fact that the officer in question had it in for him because of a person reason - the fact he was shot in the back twice and in the chest twice and 9 shots fired???? the fact that the music was playing loudly when the wrecker got there - the fact that the glove compartment was open in the picture in the paper - how did they get him out with the glove compartment still open????? He was a big man. And, he did not die at the scene - he died at the hospital with no visit from a doctor - and yep, the cops took him there - more coverup. I thank God that his Daddy who served in Vietnam '67 to '69 did not live to see this - because he was a fair man and he was a REAL man and there would be Hell to pay if he were here. SOMEBODY NEEDS TO SPEAK UP. I've been in the legal field in a professional level for over 20 years. THIS STINKS! I hope D.A. Mulholland does not have water in his veins and shy away from this. A cop like this does not deserve to have a badge, drive a car and carry a gun. He is no better than a Mafioso on a hit. Yeah, you got my name - and will hear more when info becomes available. Thank you for your gut reaction and your brave remark. Chad was a wonderful man and son who had a few problems - but, bottom line - he NEVER HURT ANYBODY IN HIS LIFE BUT HIMSELF! Big heart - that's what he had. And I loved him. God Bless you and all of us if what we have now is this CHICKEN type police/law force - might as well give them grenades and let them go hunting for people!
kay pierce

Donalsonville, GA

#18 Jan 18, 2010
Hey, jerk, this is not CSI or a TV series. This is REAL LIFE. Why don't you get a brain and pay attention. Read what you want. The truth is, Chad was killed for being in that county. Simple truth. They shot off 9 rounds with a man in a truck who wrecked, could not get out of the driver's door, reached for his insurance card and got shot in the back and the chest -- quite a feat for the bravest officer on the beat! i don't know who he is or where he is from, but he is a piece of shit. let him come to baker county! he and his "friends" cops on the scene all got their "rounds" off. they all shot him. cop for a day. clint eastwood, dirty harry stuff. "it's easy to kill somebody. What's hard is living with it." quote from Gene Pierce, Chad's dad, Vietnam Veteran Hero who knew the difference. Did the COP? let him life with it. Whether he get's prosecuted or not - he knows he took a life - without FEAR for his -- let hin live with that, grow old and suffer!
The Reaper wrote:
<quoted text>
A Reply: There is NO officer gonna wait and be shot at before he decides to take action.But The Problem is that none of the People on here have a clue of what happen. You all are going by what you read here and news reports.You know if the news reports it,that it is True>NOT...I get so pissed when people watch shows like CSI and think it really works like that...Wear The Badge,Uniform and Work Shift work and walk just a mile in them shoes,then you can critize.
So Mobile Get Law Enforcement Job.....And make the decison.are You going Home after my shift or the Funeral Home..The choice is yours!!
kay pierce

Donalsonville, GA

#19 Jan 18, 2010
You are an idiot! All you got was the cop's rendition. the whole story is not told yet -- let the forensics tell the story you stupid person. He put noonein danger - the danger comes from the cowardly cops that take the easy way out. Guess if they had an IQ higher than 94 they could get another job. Sad that a gun is put in the hands of an uneducated person who has an ax to grind! You need to get a brain. Think about it. Think. Think. think. Use your brain. Don't look at the cop's job and he might get hurt - he's supposed to use his brain also - shoot a man in the back twice and then in the chest twice - inside a vehicle he can't get out of - wrecked - hurt????????? Did you even get out of grammar school???????God help us if all we have to PROTECT US is people like you. Get educated. Read. Learn. Get out of the hole you are in.
walkamile wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree!! This man put countless lives in danger by driving like a freaking idiot!! Nobody out in the public understands what a situation like this does to the officer or to the department they serve, it's hard on everybody and till you have walked a mile in an officer's shoes you have no right to judge what's right or what's wrong.
walkamile

Kittanning, PA

#20 Jan 19, 2010
kay pierce wrote:
You are an idiot! All you got was the cop's rendition. the whole story is not told yet -- let the forensics tell the story you stupid person. He put noonein danger - the danger comes from the cowardly cops that take the easy way out. Guess if they had an IQ higher than 94 they could get another job. Sad that a gun is put in the hands of an uneducated person who has an ax to grind! You need to get a brain. Think about it. Think. Think. think. Use your brain. Don't look at the cop's job and he might get hurt - he's supposed to use his brain also - shoot a man in the back twice and then in the chest twice - inside a vehicle he can't get out of - wrecked - hurt????????? Did you even get out of grammar school???????God help us if all we have to PROTECT US is people like you. Get educated. Read. Learn. Get out of the hole you are in. <quoted text>
Who do you think you are to question me or my level of education?? I do not work in law enforcement it is a totally thankless job, but my late husband did and he died while in pursuit of a freaking idiot that decided they wanted to run.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Edison Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pot smokers 3 hr Bob Mrley 9
Mother, aged 92, grew up in Cuthbert. (Dec '12) Dec 17 Bluffton 3
Adultery in our community (Apr '14) Dec 17 Check your heart 11
never learns Dec 17 chelle 15
Damascus Dec 16 oppinionated one 5
jealous in colquitt Dec 11 disenchantedfromc... 1
Who are the two new sexy Edison Police Officers (Oct '10) Apr '12 what 15

Flash Flood Watch for Calhoun County was issued at December 22 at 4:17AM EST

Edison Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Edison People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Edison News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Edison

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:24 pm PST

ESPN 3:24PM
Falcons WRs to CB Lewis: Back up trash talk
Bleacher Report 3:58 PM
Is This End of the Line for Brees in NOLA?
Bleacher Report 6:22 PM
Can NFC South Winner Steal Playoff Win?
NFL 8:59 PM
Falcons' turnaround sends them to brink of playoffs
NBC Sports 1:33 AM
Jones' return helps Falcons eliminate Saints, 30-14 - NBC Sports