7-year-old on scooter collides with SUV

7-year-old on scooter collides with SUV

There are 27 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Apr 13, 2007, titled 7-year-old on scooter collides with SUV. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

An Edgewater police officer's 7-year-old son is in intensive care this morning after his scooter crashed into a sport utility vehicle, police said today.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
LHM

United States

#1 Apr 13, 2007
I insist, SUVs should be banned. Although apparently is not the 19 years old fault, what is he doing driving such mammoth?
far away

Henderson, AR

#2 Apr 13, 2007
this is pretty sad. i just hope the kid is okay and my prayers are with the family. i'm glad he wasn't killed.
Fasha

Hollywood, FL

#3 Apr 13, 2007
SUVs? Those darn scooters should be banned. You have to remember that a 7 year old doesn't know traffic laws either. I have friends who won't buy one of these stupid things for their kids, they are too dangerous...7 is also probably too young without supervision.
Did the kid have a helmut? I bet not.
SUV

Satellite Beach, FL

#4 Apr 13, 2007
Like the kid would be okay if he was run over by a Honda Civic? Get a clue.
Anonymous

Lincolnshire, IL

#5 Apr 13, 2007
LHM wrote:
I insist, SUVs should be banned. Although apparently is not the 19 years old fault, what is he doing driving such mammoth?
Are you kidding? It was a Ford Explorer, not a Suburban, not that much of a mammoth. And while I agree SUVs seem irresponsible to drive in today's world, it's people's own perogative to drive them. Plus minivans are just as big if not bigger than SUVs.
WTF

Jupiter, FL

#7 Apr 13, 2007
Fasha wrote:
SUVs? Those darn scooters should be banned. You have to remember that a 7 year old doesn't know traffic laws either. I have friends who won't buy one of these stupid things for their kids, they are too dangerous...7 is also probably too young without supervision.
Did the kid have a helmut? I bet not.
AMEN!!!!
Zulaika

Jupiter, FL

#8 Apr 13, 2007
I think there should be more strict laws. These kids are getting hurts because of no experience riding the scooter. I don't only blame them I also blame the parents. Why would you let a seven year old ride a scooter or one of those pocket rockets????

“"Man Bites Dog"”

Since: Dec 06

The Moon & Other Planets

#9 Apr 13, 2007
I feel bad for all involved. This was a true accident that will unfortunately be remembered by both parties for their entire lives.
otownnole

Orlando, FL

#10 Apr 13, 2007
LHM wrote:
This is America, he can drive whatever he wants.
john

Atlanta, GA

#11 Apr 13, 2007
police in our neighborhood ignore kids riding illegal vehicles on streets.....
Osceola Watch

United States

#12 Apr 13, 2007
LHM wrote:
Let's see..7 year old child operating a motorized vehicle on a public street runs in front on a real car and is run over. The large car with the small driver is at fault?
John

Orlando, FL

#13 Apr 13, 2007
Unfortunately situation happened. Hope this kid doing well and learns to look both ways before crossing for now on.
John

Orlando, FL

#14 Apr 13, 2007
LHM wrote:
wow, are you working for Greenpeace? SUVs should be banned?!?! You're out of your mind. He's driving a SUV because he or his family can afford one. That's why.

If you want to ban large vehicles, you might as well ban trucks, semi's, RV's, and other large vehicles that angers you.
shantell

Orlando, FL

#15 Apr 13, 2007
this story was very hartbreakin
Fasha

Hollywood, FL

#16 Apr 13, 2007
SUV wrote:
Like the kid would be okay if he was run over by a Honda Civic? Get a clue.
The point is, SUV, is that if he WEREN'T riding a scooter, he would not have gotten hurt...
Fasha

Hollywood, FL

#17 Apr 13, 2007
John wrote:
<quoted text>
wow, are you working for Greenpeace? SUVs should be banned?!?! You're out of your mind. He's driving a SUV because he or his family can afford one. That's why.
If you want to ban large vehicles, you might as well ban trucks, semi's, RV's, and other large vehicles that angers you.
good idea, I hate those monster Ford 350 whatevers who's drivers try to intimidate us who drive compact cars...
SUVs are great for certain things, like hauling lots of furniture or large objects. The problems begin when the drivers don't know that they can roll over alot easier..
Lizzie

Mahwah, NJ

#18 Apr 13, 2007
LHM wrote:
Are you actually serious? I can't believe you're asking yourself, "What is he doing driving such a mammoth?" and not asking yourself, "Where were the parents? Why was there absolutely no supervision?"

Reading this comment, makes me wonder ... if an animal runs out in the middle of the road, you'd want to ban the make and model of the car that hit it?

Reality check: Negligence of the parent(s), whether it's a police officer's son or not, was a big factor in this.
hmmmm

Owensboro, KY

#19 Apr 13, 2007
I wonder if it was just one of those push razor scooters..not a ride on electric scooter and the child just didn't see the SUV, not paying attention, typical with little kids. I don't think this is negligence at all, just a terrible accident!
John

Orlando, FL

#20 Apr 16, 2007
Lizzie wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you actually serious? I can't believe you're asking yourself, "What is he doing driving such a mammoth?" and not asking yourself, "Where were the parents? Why was there absolutely no supervision?"
Reading this comment, makes me wonder ... if an animal runs out in the middle of the road, you'd want to ban the make and model of the car that hit it?
Reality check: Negligence of the parent(s), whether it's a police officer's son or not, was a big factor in this.
I completely agree with you. It boils down to where was the parents of this child. This child obviouly never taught to look both ways before crossing a steet since he got hit.
SUV or not, the driver of this vehicle was being cautious. He was not cited for speeding nor reckless driving.
rich scales

United States

#21 Apr 25, 2007
every single SUV on the road should be banned, they exist for one reason, to show off.
We get more stuff in our honda accord than in anything smaller than a ridiculously large Yukon.
The US is a country that claims to be resposible and caring for the environment, yet there are more accidents , idiotic drivers, and environmental weaste from cars than anywhere else on earth.
In this case the child should be taught to look both ways, ALSO every single state should be FORCED to have sidewalks, its a safty issue that SHOULD BE 100% enforced in every state.

But yes, SUVs should be completely banned, for lots of reasons.

I can be reached at [email protected] if anyone wants to continue this argument.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Edgewater Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Statue of Ponce the dog gets nudge forward Sat jestfcc 18
Anyone know who owned/operated Murphey Applianc... Aug 15 pleasehelp 1
Superior image Aug 11 Natalie 2
Lana biggs Aug 5 Matt 3
News 'I saw a big explosion; then, it split into two... (Jan '11) Aug 1 Atlanta Puppeteer 2
Republic services garbage July 29th still didn'... Jul 29 New symrna 1
News New Smyrna teen pulls man from murky creek Jul 24 LovesGoodNews 1

Edgewater Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Edgewater Mortgages