Pastors agree: Being gay not a sin, B...

Pastors agree: Being gay not a sin, Bible says to love everyone

There are 81 comments on the Lincoln Journal Star story from Sep 12, 2007, titled Pastors agree: Being gay not a sin, Bible says to love everyone. In it, Lincoln Journal Star reports that:

“Hmmm...boys are ok, but women are better so I think I'll sleep with women now.”

As clergy who care about our members' lives and the hospitality of our community, we were pleased to see the article "Same-sex climate a hot issue" in the Lincoln Journal Star on July 29. via Lincoln Journal Star

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lincoln Journal Star.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Michael

Walla Walla, WA

#1 Jun 4, 2008
Bible says to love everyone. Ok so is murder, abortion, etc ok too, im supposed to love everyone right?

tyes we should respect and love those who sin, but does that mean we should look at all behaviour as unsinful. Matthew 7 asks us not to judge, that is God's job, but a sin is a sin and this type of thinking is, in my opinion, a great way to rationalize bad behaviour.

“GO TOPLESS!!”

Since: Apr 08

Westport, MA

#2 Jun 4, 2008
I completely agree with the article writers, and wish others also felt this way.

If people are "created in God's image", then maybe "God" has nothing against homosexuality.

Just because the bible (a book written by mortal men) is against it doesn't mean "God" is.
bonluke01

Orlando, FL

#3 Jun 18, 2008
People are created in God's image, however fell from Grace when the first sin was committed. Since that time, Man needs Christ to have eternal saving grace. Many sins are found in the world today and I can assure you that none of these sins were created in God's image, but by man's sin. With that being said, so was homosexuality. No one is born a homosexual, however they choose that lifestyle. The Bible was scribed by mortal men, but written by the inspiration of God. God's desires for man are what the Bible is, you cannot remove the Bible from God, nor can you remove God from the Bible. They co-exist in harmony, not discord. My prayer for you, Shellikins, is that God is revealed to you in a way you have never seen him before where you can grow to have a personal relationship with him and be saved. I can tell you more of how to do this if you are open to it.

“GO TOPLESS!!”

Westport, MA

#4 Jun 18, 2008
bonluke01 wrote:
People are created in God's image, however fell from Grace when the first sin was committed. Since that time, Man needs Christ to have eternal saving grace. Many sins are found in the world today and I can assure you that none of these sins were created in God's image, but by man's sin. With that being said, so was homosexuality. No one is born a homosexual, however they choose that lifestyle. The Bible was scribed by mortal men, but written by the inspiration of God. God's desires for man are what the Bible is, you cannot remove the Bible from God, nor can you remove God from the Bible. They co-exist in harmony, not discord. My prayer for you, Shellikins, is that God is revealed to you in a way you have never seen him before where you can grow to have a personal relationship with him and be saved. I can tell you more of how to do this if you are open to it.
No thank you. I am very satisfied with my beliefs. My beliefs allow me to love others, even if they are different from me. I couldn't hate gay people, or disapprove of them, in the way your Christian church does. I couldn't judge others in the way most Christians do. I judge people by how they treat me, their families, and their world... if you're a good person, but you're gay, well, it's OK by me. If you're a louse and you're gay, well... I don't care if you're gay, but I don't like louses.

You'd be hard-pressed to find ANY homosexual who will say that they've chosen to be gay. There is nothing you can tell me that would allow me to believe that they choose that path, and I feel this way because I've known so many gay people.

I didn't choose to be straight. As I grew up, and went through adolescence, I discovered that I think "boys are cute". No one taught me that, it's just how I naturally progressed. I've talked with a lot of gay people over the years, some who even tried to "be straight", so they can fit in. They've all said that it was something they just "are". I can't imagine what it was like for them, growing up in high school... most of the time keeping that "secret" about themselves, out of fear of gossip and even physical harm.

No Ma'am. This is not something they chose. I never did see it as a "lifestyle", though. Rock stars have a "lifestyle". Drug addicts have a "life style". Priests and Nuns have a "lifestyle". Most gay people just want equal rights and to live their lives in peace and harmony with the rest of the world. How can anything that ends in LOVE be a bad thing. Yet, I'm the one "going to hell", as I'm often reminded by Christians. I won't be, of course, but I know you don't see it that way.

Hypothetically, I could write about what your God inspired me to do. Would it be accurate? In MY opinion it would be.

This country seems to have the notion of, "you can be anything you want, as long as it's straight and Christian". You may not agree, but you're straight and Christian. To those of us who aren't Christian (or, to those who are gay), this is how it seems to us.

You are entitled to your beliefs, and I am entitled to mine. Mine are a little more open-minded, however, and that's how I prefer it.
TexasBoy

Wichita Falls, TX

#8 Jun 19, 2008
You are not open-minded, you are closed-minded. If you were open-minded, God would show you the truth, but you are not, so you are living in a false life and in denial of what God has offered to all of us. Pity.

“Otter”

Since: Jan 07

Oswego, NY

#9 Jun 19, 2008
TexasBoy wrote:
You are not open-minded, you are closed-minded. If you were open-minded, God would show you the truth, but you are not, so you are living in a false life and in denial of what God has offered to all of us. Pity.
tis you that is close minded, you believe only you know the truth. The truth of God is not found in a book written by men, but rather in the hearts of those who try to live spiritually. God is in us, not a book.

“GO TOPLESS!!”

Westport, MA

#11 Jun 19, 2008
TexasBoy wrote:
No need to pity me. I don't need it nor do I want it.

My God and Goddess HAVE shown me the truth... not just one truth, but many.-MY- God and Goddess taught me to treat ALL life and the world around me with love and respect, among MANY other things. They taught me that hate is a waste of time. They taught me that killing... for ANY reason, is wrong, and that killing in the name of "God" is even moreso.

But, again, I'm allegedly the one who's going to hell.

You KEEP your vengeful God, I like my loving God and Goddess better.

“GO TOPLESS!!”

Westport, MA

#12 Jun 19, 2008
Oh, and for the record... it's not denial. I've had your God and Jesus in my life, but they are too limited and vengeful for my likes. Finding Paganism (and Wicca) was one of the best choices I've made.

“Purple girl in a purple world”

Plum, Purplonia

#13 Jun 23, 2008
Shellikins wrote:
<quoted text>
You'd be hard-pressed to find ANY homosexual who will say that they've chosen to be gay. There is nothing you can tell me that would allow me to believe that they choose that path, and I feel this way because I've known so many gay people.
http://www.queerbychoice.com

“GO TOPLESS!!”

Westport, MA

#14 Jun 24, 2008
On their site, they themselves claim that only about 8% are gay by CHOICE.

This means that the MAJORITY (92%) are gay because that's just how they ARE. Were they born this way? Is there a "gay gene"? I don't know, even the scientific community doesn't have proof either way of this. It could be "crossed wires"... I guess gay-ness could have it's roots in many places. The human body is truely a wonder to behold.

I stand corrected, though. Apparently there are a -few- people who claim they've chosen to be gay. There are exceptions to every rule.

“NM Desert Rat”

Since: Mar 08

Elephant Butte, N.M.

#15 Jun 24, 2008
I will sleep so much better at night knowing some christian clergy decided it is ok for gay people to be gay. Like Shellikins I too have had Jesus in my life. I could not stay in a church of mindless sheep that unquestionably followed what somebody told them to believe. I am Pagan by choice and make no apologies to anybody. If Jesus could see how modern religion has twisted his teachings he would be one pissed off hombre.
mmmm

Sikeston, MO

#16 Oct 13, 2008
Shellikins wrote:
<quoted text>
My God and Goddess HAVE shown me the truth... not just one truth, but many.-MY- God and Goddess taught me to treat ALL life and the world around me with love and respect, among MANY other things. They taught me that hate is a waste of time. They taught me that killing... for ANY reason, is wrong, and that killing in the name of "God" is even moreso.
you are nuts!! there is only one God. GET THE BIBLE. you need JESUS...
mmmm

Sikeston, MO

#17 Oct 13, 2008
NM Desert Rat wrote:
I will sleep so much better at night knowing some christian clergy decided it is ok for gay people to be gay. Like Shellikins I too have had Jesus in my life. I could not stay in a church of mindless sheep that unquestionably followed what somebody told them to believe. I am Pagan by choice and make no apologies to anybody. If Jesus could see how modern religion has twisted his teachings he would be one pissed off hombre.
Sorry for ya.... JESUS IS THE WAY
In Christ

London, KY

#18 Oct 13, 2008
Shellikins wrote:
I completely agree with the article writers, and wish others also felt this way.
If people are "created in God's image", then maybe "God" has nothing against homosexuality.
Just because the bible (a book written by mortal men) is against it doesn't mean "God" is.
Listen i have nothing against gay people..it is a sin just like lieing stealing murder..the bible states no one sin is greater..but it does state that homosexuality is an abbomnation in the eyes of God..so do i condone it..no..do i love them just as i do everyone else we are not the judge, the great judge will be here soon it is up to each of us to make it right before the lord..God bless
In Christ

London, KY

#19 Oct 13, 2008
Shellikins wrote:
<quoted text>
Goddess?????
In Christ

London, KY

#20 Oct 13, 2008
Shellikins wrote:
Oh, and for the record... it's not denial. I've had your God and Jesus in my life, but they are too limited and vengeful for my likes. Finding Paganism (and Wicca) was one of the best choices I've made.
so you worship things? ok i get it..so when you are having a problem in life and you pray to this "think" do you get peace from it, do you feel its presance in ur life on a daily bases, do you see ur Gods glory in nature and wonder how he created it, do you see ur body and wonder how in the world he created it, and wonder what kind of thoughts went into this creation..I don't know about u, but I really do think a "thing" would have a little bit of trouble with this task..anyway..hope that works out for u, but if you ever want a real God..open the Bible..he's always alive on those pages..God Bless

“NM Desert Rat”

Since: Mar 08

Elephant Butte, N.M.

#21 Oct 13, 2008
Why don't you go thump your bible else where. It is a great piece of fiction written by men to keep the masses under control.
In Christ

London, KY

#22 Oct 13, 2008
Shellikins wrote:
oh yeah..not to be mean we each have a choice..but I have a nephew that went through a faze of wicca..truthfully all i ever seen or heard from it was the alchol,drugs and gang sex..deny that if you will, i dont really care, but i do no what my nephew went thru, and the state he got into, there is no love in wicca except the feel good state, satan dont love you he just wants ur soul..now like i said im not saying this to be mean..but just wanted u to know thats really not the answer and if u have ever served Christ then u know this..and come judgemnt day..you will reap what u sow..so God Bless Jesus loves u and so do I..
In Christ

London, KY

#23 Oct 13, 2008
NM Desert Rat wrote:
Why don't you go thump your bible else where. It is a great piece of fiction written by men to keep the masses under control.
I have a right to thump my bible anywhere i want to and i choose to do it here amongst all of this. Now if u dont want to see my bible thumping leave, cause i'm not going anywhere..God bless u

Since: Feb 08

ANOKA, MN

#24 Oct 13, 2008
You nephew was what you could call a WINO - Wiccan In Name Only. Just as some predators will slap on a cross and wave a bible while molesting children and seducing men and women in some twisted, perverted interpretation of the bible, so will some people use Wicca and other types of Paganism as vehicles for their personal perversions.

Hollywood has done more to set Pagans back than just about anyone. Kids like your nephew see some cheesy movies about blood and gore and hot babes in black lace chanting and doing everyone in sight, and figure that's "cool".

Just like Christian sects where they think it's ok to marry girls off as soon as they show signs of puberty, which is earlier and earlier these days,
or who mutillate or torture themselves to be closer to Jesus, they are not accepted by the majority of law abiding adherents.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Edgar Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Nebraska (... (Oct '10) Apr '15 neutral 103
News Downtown fire contained to one building Feb '15 Jamestheduke21 1
News Iowa driver dies during race in Nebraska (Oct '13) Oct '13 Jim Morrison 1
News Communities rally around men injured in elevato... (Oct '13) Oct '13 aintlifefine 1
Jobs available (Aug '12) Aug '12 Associated Staffing 1
Debate: Obama-Marriage - Edgar, NE (May '12) May '12 firtree 3
Debate: Obama-Economy - Edgar, NE (May '12) May '12 firtree 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Edgar Mortgages