The Original--Ecorse High School

The Original--Ecorse High School

Posted in the Ecorse Forum

cjh

Denver, CO

#1 Sep 9, 2009
This is not the original high school in Ecorse. The original was School One on High Street. It only went to the 10th grade. Students then had to go River Rouge to get a 12th grade education. My dad, Newt Hawkins was one of those students, my grandfather Louis F. Hawkins was president of the school board.
My dad later taught history and coached football in the 1930's at the new school on Outer Drive
Ecorse Resident

Detroit, MI

#2 Sep 12, 2009
cjh wrote:
This is not the original high school in Ecorse. The original was School One on High Street. It only went to the 10th grade. Students then had to go River Rouge to get a 12th grade education. My dad, Newt Hawkins was one of those students, my grandfather Louis F. Hawkins was president of the school board.
My dad later taught history and coached football in the 1930's at the new school on Outer Drive
Did they call it Ecorse High School or School one?
I found this picture on the web and its listed as Ecorse's first Hight School. They may not have counted School one because no one graduated from it. I realy don't know how that all works. Its great that we can get all the info like this though. Eventually we will have all the facts and history correct. They also may have just been comparing that photo to the new high school that was built.
Michigander again

Riverview, MI

#3 Sep 12, 2009
cjh wrote:
wasn't Louis Hawkins a Firefighter?
Raider

Fort Worth, TX

#4 Sep 13, 2009
Michigander again wrote:
<quoted text>wasn't Louis Hawkins a Firefighter?
Yes, Louis was a firefighter his Dad was Newt and Mother is Jane Hawkins, has a sister named Cynthia. Louie is retired living on Grosse Ile with his wife who is also named Jane.
Wally Gator

Brentwood, TN

#5 Sep 29, 2009
School one was on High street and Labadie.but this picture is of the Eccorse High school that I remember minus the new building as we called it

Since: Jan 09

Royal Oak, MI

#6 Sep 29, 2009
Wally Gator wrote:
School one was on High street and Labadie.but this picture is of the Eccorse High school that I remember minus the new building as we called it
hey wally whats happening have you jump any creeks recently
Wally Gator

Brentwood, TN

#7 Sep 30, 2009
No I have not Jumped any creeks lately. Who Is this to know me for that? I am glad to see that someone remembers me. if you don;t want to give me your name here on this oage you can e-maile me at walterk4@excite.com I would love to hear form you.
Mayor Salisbury

Moorestown, NJ

#8 Oct 2, 2009
That the school that would actually fart once and awhile!
Bar

United States

#9 Nov 3, 2009
I went to EHS in the 60's and moved far away. This brought tears to my eyes... does anyone have pictures of the school and students from the late 60's
G Carr

Farmington, MI

#10 Nov 4, 2009
The Ecorse School shown in the photo was built in 1917. It was also called school 4. School One is considered the "original" High school. Was there anoth school prio to school One? You would have to ask the "Bell" located on Outer Drive & 7th Street :0). Thanks for the photo. For more photos of EHS, go th Classmates .com, look under album.
Ecorse Resident

Detroit, MI

#11 Nov 4, 2009
G Carr wrote:
The Ecorse School shown in the photo was built in 1917. It was also called school 4. School One is considered the "original" High school. Was there anoth school prio to school One? You would have to ask the "Bell" located on Outer Drive & 7th Street :0). Thanks for the photo. For more photos of EHS, go th Classmates .com, look under album.
Thanks for the info, I will check it out
Hillbilly

Smithfield, NC

#12 Aug 23, 2010
I went to School one in the late 50's early 60's and then to the High School on Outer Drive and graduated in January 65.
School one was an old building then it is to bad that people didn't reserve some of the heritage in the city. A lot of history destroyed because no one cared about one of the greatest city's in the state. Now it has become a joke that started many years ago..
nkk54

AOL

#14 Aug 30, 2010
Hillbilly wrote:
I went to School one in the late 50's early 60's and then to the High School on Outer Drive and graduated in January 65.
School one was an old building then it is to bad that people didn't reserve some of the heritage in the city. A lot of history destroyed because no one cared about one of the greatest city's in the state. Now it has become a joke that started many years ago..
I went to School One in the late 60's through 6th grade. Then SFX through my freshman year, then EHS my sophmore year. I remember all the wood and & the stairways that came down from the left & right. You just don't see that anymore. The classroom on A Christmas Story reminds me very much of School One.

Has Ecorse made the effort to preserve any of the old historical buildings? Most of the ones I remember are gone or look like crap.
Richi King

Royal Oak, MI

#16 Aug 31, 2010
I remeber smoking my first rock out in the parking lot before school. Those were the good ol days!
David M

Los Angeles, CA

#17 Jul 2, 2011
Wally Gator wrote:
No I have not Jumped any creeks lately. Who Is this to know me for that? I am glad to see that someone remembers me. if you don;t want to give me your name here on this oage you can e-maile me at walterk4@excite.com I would love to hear form you.
Yes, Wally. I do remember you! We used to catch tadpoles between the railroad tracks!
r k wilson

Oakland City, IN

#18 Oct 15, 2011
In 1927 would this have been the Ecorse H.S. that students would have graduated from?
olaughll

Eveleth, MN

#19 Jan 30, 2015
cjh wrote:
I moved from Chicago to Ecorse to live with my Aunt in 1971. I attended 6th grade at school one. I remember the fire station down the street with the gold fish. I don't remember ever hearing that School 1 was once the high school.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ecorse Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ecorse -- REMEMBER WHEN .... (Aug '07) Jan 18 Mr Danovich 4,739
Do you think Wyandotte Police are out of contro... (Mar '09) Jan 18 Anonymous 60
river rouge days memories (Jan '09) Jan 9 cwoj 86
Ahmad Altimimi (Mar '06) Jan 7 Who cares not me lol 144
News Hungry Howie's Pizza Brings Flavored Crust Pizz... Dec 27 RECENT FARTS 6
Time to deport all muslims from the USA Dec '17 lol 7
News Antonio's to reopen former Italian restaurant i... (Jun '13) Dec '17 WATCHING LIVONIA 24

Ecorse Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ecorse Mortgages