Da Coster

Melvindale, MI

#4848 May 3, 2012
Thaught you gave up Boozin?

“Dis guy is a nut.”

Since: Jun 11

Ecorse, Michigan

#4849 May 5, 2012
The poor old ’55 was getting tired and loose from countless top-fuel, torque-brake take-offs, hours of grocery cart jousting, normal teen age torture. The 1955 ford chassis tied the right and left frame rails together in front with a square tube “A-frame” that had openings which allowed dirt, water and salt sludge to collect and slowly turn the steel into flakey layers of rust. A waiting disaster for an airborne car. It all started innocent enough…doesn’t it always? We wanted to get from Southfield to Outer Drive in L.P. and I don’t think I 75 was open yet. We discovered Porter St. just west of 75 which had been recently paved sometime after all the cross streets were. For some reason, when you approached a cross street, the Porter St. pavement dipped a bit, then went up to the level of the cross street and down again, creating a “WOOP-DEE-DOO” at every city block intersection.
Seeing the chance for death defying fun, I nailed it. Faster and faster, the poor suspension groaned and made a “HOOPA-HOOPA” sound as we spent more and more time airborne at each block. Soon my head was banging the ceiling and my cousin Dennis, who was lying in the back seat, appeared in the mirror…weightless. I don’t know how long we did this, and I don’t know how the poor ’55 survived the ordeal, but we finally quit. I took Dickey Crist (I think) home and a block from his house, the right frame rail fell out of the “A-Frame” and gouged a rut into the pavement on Beecher St.
Now, if this had happened on one of the Porter St. landings, with no person in a seat belt (actually, I don’t remember it even had belts) your humble narrator would not be here to tell the tale. We scratched our heads for a while and Dean showed up with a little screw jack and a dozen wire coat hangers. We jacked the rail up, tied it up with the wire and I slowly drove it to a welding shop near the old Walcon factory and she was good to go for about $15.
Well, not all that good to go. She wanted to go left, and if you let go of the wheel that’s where she went right now. You had to fight to go right (no power here), and when you drove through a puddle, you saw four tire tracks instead of two. Sadly, that was the end of my first car. She just helps prove that God watches over fools and drunks. Night all.
Da Coster

Melvindale, MI

#4850 May 5, 2012
You're fun Old-Timer, Good night.
corpsmanup

Painter, VA

#4851 May 6, 2012
I remember most was football in front of Morrison's Truckage Co. My family moved to Trenton when I was in seventh grade so my last schooling was at School Two on Josephine. Hi to all the East Woodward guys along with Norman, Ick, and Jeff. It was a happier time and place through a child's memory. And Pam, if you're on this, I still tie my shoes like you showed me.
corpsmanup

Painter, VA

#4852 May 6, 2012
Bonzano Bohunk wrote:
Merry Christmas all you “Costers” and former “Costers”. I hope your memories are as warm and cherished as mine. I’d like to share a few with you…in no particular order.
Skating on the “krick”
Belly-flop sledding down the viaduct
Suicide hill (can’t remember where it was, exactly)
Real Toboggan runs at some metro park (Geez getting’ old sucks)
Christmas displays at the Ford Rotunda
The huge flag on Hudson’s and their toy department to die in
The wonder well on Grosse Isle
Burning a tank of gas sliding around the E J Korvettes parking lot
The first snow of the season, and it was still around for the spring thaw.
Snowball fights from huge snow forts
The sound sleet made on your ear flaps…do they still make those hats?
Everybody at school 2 taking a mouthful of water out for recess and spitting it out in a line on the paved part of the playground to make a running foot ice slide.
Leggings and those black rubber boots with the metal latches
Making snow angels while big snowflakes landed on your face
How’zabout sharing some of yours? Anyway, Bless you all and to all good night
How about the log cabin they found with the gRge built around it?
E Coster

Melvindale, MI

#4853 May 8, 2012
Where was that at? Hows Big Ted and Hot-Dog?
wow

Cadiz, KY

#4854 May 9, 2012
Too funny!
Old Wyandotte Punk

Methuen, MA

#4855 May 11, 2012
I remember Ecorse smelling like a sewer from 'red sky in the morning' commencing from Zug to Great Lakes Steel Mill. Oh, what a lovely city to live in like a RAT.

“Dis guy is a nut.”

Ecorse, Michigan

#4856 May 11, 2012
It's 'Red Sky At Morning' and I guess all the turds and condoms dissolved around sacred Wyandotte waters, because of all the chemical company out-flow. Hmmm? I remember that perfume too well.
Da Coster

Melvindale, MI

#4857 May 13, 2012
Old Wyandotte Punk wrote:
I remember Ecorse smelling like a sewer from 'red sky in the morning' commencing from Zug to Great Lakes Steel Mill. Oh, what a lovely city to live in like a RAT.
Your name says it all.....PUNK! Do you smell that?
Lee

Georgetown, KY

#4858 May 13, 2012
Ruth Spangler has a web site that tell's a lot about Ecorse back in the day : I recieve it once
in awhile . the web address is http://ruthspangler.wordpress.com/page/5/
I think a lot of you might be interested in seeing
stuff from the old day's . today it has some history and name's from 1957 .
GO RED RAIDERS
Lee

Georgetown, KY

#4859 May 13, 2012
BONZANO BOHUNK I love your stories man you were a wildman back in the day lol. keep up the stories .:)
nkk54

Grand Rapids, MI

#4860 May 15, 2012
Old Wyandotte Punk wrote:
Actually it was the smell of hard workers working really hard ...
smokey

Taylor, MI

#4861 May 21, 2012
i remember hunting on the tracks with Eddie rich FOR PHEASANTS IN THE LATE 60'S.

“Dis guy is a nut.”

Ecorse, Michigan

#4862 May 21, 2012
Which tracks were these? Man pheasants are SOOOO good and you hardly see or hear them any more. My dad used to hunt them and I remember ring necks flying in front of the car all the time. I live out in the country now and for a while P. U. used to plant them near here and you heard them a lot. Havn't seen one in a long time...sad.
still here

River Rouge, MI

#4863 May 21, 2012
That's why people from this area can drive in any kind of weather condition. It was dangerous,exciting, innocent fun.We would kill our kids for half the stuff we did.From 7th.St.
Sugarbear72

Dallas, TX

#4864 May 30, 2012
Atl Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
Good to hear from u Sugarbear. Other places I have lived have also changed for the worse in many ways. Ecorse was unique. When I drive through on my annual trip to Michigan,I see only what I want to see-all the memories come flooding back. I am content with that. No one can take that away!
yoy
Kingfish

Holly, MI

#4865 May 30, 2012
Southgate used to be Ecorse Township.
Sugttarbear72w

United States

#4866 May 30, 2012
Honey I loved. The city. I lived there for 55 yrs. And Ian 59
But I can't
Break the habait
Hambone

New Boston, MI

#4867 May 31, 2012
my parents used to take me to a weekend carnival behind Carters....wasn't much there but being a little kid it was cool....do any of u life-long ecorse people remember that???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ecorse Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
DEARBORN hills pharmacy robbery (Sep '13) Fri Brenda M 8
Muslums Need Jesus Christ Fri arabwomenarehot 5
arabbitchesinheat Fri arabwomenarehot 1
Muslims are Wrong Islam Is Wrong Nov 21 REPENT REPENT 1
Ford, GM Demand Seen Buoying Takata as Congress... Nov 21 Kevin 3
taylor armory Nov 18 kev 1
Jesus Christ Is God = Period Nov 16 TO ALL MUSLIMS 2

High Wind Watch for Wayne County was issued at November 23 at 4:17PM EST

Ecorse Dating
Find my Match

Ecorse People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Ecorse News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Ecorse

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:47 pm PST

Bleacher Report 3:47PM
Pats Upset with Raiola Intentionally Diving at Player's Knees
Bleacher Report 4:06 PM
Is Josh Gordon a WR1 for Week 13 and Fantasy Football Playoffs?
Bleacher Report 4:20 PM
Can the Lions Win Without Help from Offense?
Bleacher Report 4:46 PM
Is New England Proving to Be Unbeatable?
Bleacher Report 5:33 PM
Where Should Pats Slot into Week 13 Fantasy Lineups?