Compromise near on Amish sewage disposal

Compromise near on Amish sewage disposal

There are 12 comments on the The Tribune-Democrat story from Nov 23, 2008, titled Compromise near on Amish sewage disposal. In it, The Tribune-Democrat reports that:

A compromise appears to have been worked out so that two homeowners from an ultraconservative Amish sect can continue to live in their homes while still meeting building and sewage-disposal regulations, a ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Tribune-Democrat.

easy

Philadelphia, PA

#1 Nov 23, 2008
Ya know, I'm all for a compromise and let's sit down and see if we can come up with a solution that will work for everyone involved.
Sometimes there are multiple solutions to an issue that haven't even been considered.

The other end of the spectrum is also a possibility here. ie; you start nibbling around at this thing and you end up creating one hell of a mess and each time you try to fix it you only make a bigger mess.

I guess time will tell.
Easy

Philadelphia, PA

#2 Nov 23, 2008
In case things get messy, the Amish risk being in a less desirable position than when they started.
Easy

Philadelphia, PA

#3 Nov 23, 2008
Given the fact that, out of the 250,000 Amish in the US there are only a couple dozen that are having issues over sewage disposal, maybe this is a losing hand.

Considering the stakes that may be in play here, shouldn't there be some technical expertise brought in? Some new age compost type of approach may let the township give their approval.
easy

Philadelphia, PA

#4 Nov 24, 2008
Ya know, old school meets new... or somethin, come on! work with me, damn it!
easy

Philadelphia, PA

#5 Nov 24, 2008
My wife's sister lives on a farm in a (intentional) sustainable community in North Carolina. She has one of those composting toilets. It seems very low tech. What the heck! Why do these things have to be so dang difficult!
Bob

Fairfax, VA

#6 Nov 24, 2008
These aren't the average Amish, Easy. This is the most conservative sect.

Bishops of Swarzentuber sects are infamous for their absolute authority, abuse, and utter unwillingness to cooperate with society in general.

Some way needs to be found to make the Bishop of the sect responsible for the rules he imposes, rules that are contrary to the law.

Normally... if a sheltered community has illegal rules, the members of the community would use the courts to effect redress. No such avenue here! These people are being held prisoner by a cult.
easy

Philadelphia, PA

#7 Nov 24, 2008
It looks like, instead of the abusive leader getting isolated and marginalized, he's getting the royal treatment. He's being rewarded for being a dick!
easy

Philadelphia, PA

#8 Nov 24, 2008
The key here is, why are these fanatics being uplifted as if they were something special? who's doing it and why?
Bob

Fairfax, VA

#9 Nov 25, 2008
I have a hypothesis on that, Easy.

The 'Amish religion' is a pacifistic anabaptist sect of christianity. They also have the image of hearty self reliance.

That's like the holy triad of pious. Let's break it down to it's apparent, logical representation:

Pacifist: Who doesn't think pacifists aren't pious? Bhuddist Monks, That guy facing down a tank in Tianamon square, Ghandi...

Anabaptist: That makes it sound like being Amish is a lifestyle choice, you have to 'choose' to be baptised into the church.

Christianity: the vast majority of people in this country are Christians.

This combination instills, for some, the image of helpless martyrs, willingly devoting their lives to the faith they believe in.

For others, a single aspect will be more important: pacifists never commit crimes, they think... so we must protect these pacifists at all costs!

For another group,'self reliance' is key. they think insisting that 'Hearty self reliant' people follow the law is an infringement of their constitutional rights!

Very few people look into the Amish religion with enough detail to see what is really going on, and instead jump to kneejerk reactions based on their pre-conceptions.

easy

Philadelphia, PA

#10 Nov 25, 2008
99.9% of the Amish are complying with zoning regulations for sewage disposal, so I think you want to make an effort to bring these guys towards what everyone else is doing. If you let them go their own way, I see no way that you can stop other Amish from embracing the relaxed rules set up for the Swarzentrubers'.
Can you imagine? A judge trying to tell an Amish guy that he's not quite Amish enough to put in this kind of sewage system?

Like I said in another thread, I'm getting some popcorn, and gettin comfortable because this ought to be a good one!
easy

Philadelphia, PA

#11 Nov 25, 2008
Hey Bob, here's a quote from David Weaver Zercher while being interviewed it's published on a site called Amish America.

"Many tourists, however, are not all that interested in learning about Amish life."

I'd say he hit the nail on the head!
easy

Philadelphia, PA

#12 Nov 25, 2008
http://amishamerica.typepad.com/amish_america...

here's the link if your interested, sorry, don't know how to imbed it

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ebensburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Walkney Presents A 'Big Time' at the Jaffa Apr '16 Lucy Jane 1
martin oil fuel stop Mar '16 hillbilly32 1
Does anyone know Janelle Layne and the married ... (Oct '15) Mar '16 Robin 2
brother in prison in loretto (Feb '10) Feb '16 Phyllis 19
News Police: Nanty Glo man stabbed his grandmother w... (Jan '16) Jan '16 ANWERX 1
Help (Jan '16) Jan '16 Help 1
Looking for family (Jan '11) Oct '15 KathleenDC 7

Ebensburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ebensburg Mortgages