110-year-old Pa. widow gets WWI benefits boost | Fox News

Aug 13, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Cactus Thorns

A A 110-year-old Pennsylvania widow is getting a benefits boost because of her husband's World War I service.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 6 of6

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Aug 13, 2012
 
Good for Representative Mark S. Critz !!!

May Alda Collins enjoy these years, and have many of therm.
Sheik Yerbouti

Pennington, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Aug 13, 2012
 
My grandfather served in WW1 and was wounded in the Argonne offensive of 1918. My grandmother got about $25 per month which is a joke! I am happy this woman got a benefits boost.

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Since: Jan 07

Dump American Eagle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Aug 13, 2012
 
Sheik Yerbouti wrote:
My grandfather served in WW1 and was wounded in the Argonne offensive of 1918. My grandmother got about $25 per month which is a joke! I am happy this woman got a benefits boost.
And she got that stipend WHEN? Back in the day $25.00 was a nice chunk of change.
Sheik Yerbouti

Doylestown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Aug 13, 2012
 
From his death in 1957 to her death in 1994.$25 was not a good 'chunk of change' in those years but may have been in the 1920's and 30's. WW1 vets were the most shabbily treated group of veterans in the 20th century!

“Voters elect Big Bird”

Since: Jan 07

Dump American Eagle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Aug 13, 2012
 
Sheik Yerbouti wrote:
From his death in 1957 to her death in 1994.$25 was not a good 'chunk of change' in those years but may have been in the 1920's and 30's. WW1 vets were the most shabbily treated group of veterans in the 20th century!
You're right.$25.00 by that time wasn't a large amount of money. I'm sure she was drawing SSI in addition tho. Not get rich funding but enough to get by I hope. You might be wrong. The Viet Nam vets were about the most shabbily treated group in the 20th century.

Since: May 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Aug 14, 2012
 
okimar wrote:
<quoted text>You're right.$25.00 by that time wasn't a large amount of money. I'm sure she was drawing SSI in addition tho. Not get rich funding but enough to get by I hope. You might be wrong. The Viet Nam vets were about the most shabbily treated group in the 20th century.
Look up The Bonus Army and see how our government, Hoover in particular, treated returning WWI vets. They were lied to, and then shot at and killed and forcibly removed from Washington for protesting. These were men who had served in combat fighting for our country.

The more you read history the more you realize the American government has been a corrupt machine for a very long time.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 6 of6
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Ebensburg Discussions

Search the Ebensburg Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 34 min Pa voter 51,447
celebrities phone numbers (Mar '08) 4 hr CJ Robertson 16
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 17 hr Independent Voter 3,557
Pennsylvania farm show opens Jan '14 Moo 5
Council says no to Friday racing Dec '13 Race fan 1
Cambria County Prison (Dec '11) Sep '13 Lollerskates 3
Roger Hammer uninjured in traffic accident (Sep '13) Sep '13 Ronrat 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Ebensburg Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Ebensburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••