Germantown IGA

Posted in the Eaton Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Beth

Cincinnati, OH

#1 May 11, 2012
What is going on with the IGA? Went in there yesterday, and the shelves were only halfway stocked. Is the store going out of business?

“Whats up?”

Since: May 12

Ohio

#2 Jun 4, 2012
Its never been that busy anyways. Stuff costs too much out there.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#3 Jun 14, 2012
Beth wrote:
What is going on with the IGA? Went in there yesterday, and the shelves were only halfway stocked. Is the store going out of business?
Beth, I found the same thing, but when I asked, the cashier told me they are getting a new owner, but that the present owner still hasn't left. I really don't know what that has to do with it. Seemed like a silly answer. I just told her I hope they get to keep their jobs.
Boborobo

Cincinnati, OH

#4 Jul 4, 2012
I live a couple blocks from the Germantown IGA. My wife and I (newlyweds) moved to Germantown a couple years ago so we could raise our family here. We had previously lived in Kettering. We were anxious to support the local restaurants and the IGA, but we were surprised to learn that the store had no organic anything - and when we inquired we were told that the owner doesn't believe in organic. That's fine. We bought the majority of our groceries elsewhere but have always used this store as a convenience.
Over the past several months we have noticed the shelves getting very bare. I ran in for cat food and found that the 30 varieties they normally had in stock were reduced to only a few bags. I honestly wondered if there was some storm coming that I hadn't heard about or something.
Just the other day I noticed they put up a letter to the customers saying "we are not closing". I certainly hope they aren't - but they need to do something to be a better store.
When I go in there it seems like there are several employees in the front of the store just standing around. Most of them are not friendly - which certainly doesn't make paying the very high prices any easier. It seems to me that the employees should be given duties beyond standing around to enhance the store. And if there really isn't anything for them to do - perhaps some job cuts would help lower prices.
It might be time to ditch the IGA franchise all together. My wife suggested that they engage local farmers and sell local produce - which they are probably not allowed to do under the IGA guidelines - but if they want to stay in business - might be a good idea. They could rent the space to local farmers - the farmers could display their produce - and it wouldn't be any risk to the market either way.
WiseOwl

Middletown, OH

#5 Jul 17, 2012
There has been talk in the grocery business of Germantown IGA closing for months. There was also talk of Supervalu (Groceryland) closing in New Lebanon. The first sign of a store closing is a sharp decrease in variety and quantity of stock. A grocery definitely needs/wants product on the shelves to attract business. Groceryland has full shelves and lots of variety- the rumours are false. IGA has empty shelves and decreased variety and stock- the rumours are true. If they get a buyer to take it, they may stay open, most likely under a different name. They would do better to try a specialty store- a health food store would be nice.
Smoke

Cincinnati, OH

#6 Jul 18, 2012
This Is The Obama Plan
Annoyed

Cleves, OH

#7 Sep 5, 2012
My family has supported the IGA in Germantown for over 30 years. It was a welcome sight when it opened at its new location. We believe in supporting small locally owned businesses. It became evident at the end of 2011 that the store was beginning to fail. It is hard to understand why when it is the only grocery for a large rural area. The lack of goods on the (empty) shelves is a dis-service to the community. It is time for Ken Finke to come clean to his customers and employees and inform them as to what lies ahead.
Smoke

Cincinnati, OH

#8 Sep 6, 2012
He Broke, He Dont Have Any Money To Stock The Store and He Hopes That The Goverment Will Bail Him Out He's Lying About THE store and to his employees It Time For Him To Come Clean
The New Cool Warrior

Lewisburg, OH

#9 Sep 14, 2012
They ought to hire some pretty young sexy friendly female cashiers, not plain janes, lesbians, bull dykes or queers; we get no joy looking at old men or ugly boys, with or without body piercings for tattoos. Howboutchoo?
Smoke

Cincinnati, OH

#10 Sep 17, 2012
Hey Can You Reading With Your Eyes Instaed Of You Pecker The Man Is Broke, He Coundnt Hire A Blow Up Doll, Right Now He Cant Even Stock His Selves
The New Cool Warrior wrote:
They ought to hire some pretty young sexy friendly female cashiers, not plain janes, lesbians, bull dykes or queers; we get no joy looking at old men or ugly boys, with or without body piercings for tattoos. Howboutchoo?
Atlas

Germantown, OH

#11 Sep 17, 2012
When is the new store opening? Heard Soon
momma

Dayton, OH

#12 Sep 18, 2012
Atlas wrote:
When is the new store opening? Heard Soon
Do you know what the store is going to be? It would be nice to put a Kroger across the street on Rt 4. I heard it was in the making a year or so ago. IGA is truly overpriced. I went in to grab something a few days ago and the prices on what they have left have tripled!
Frustrated

Toledo, OH

#13 Sep 18, 2012
The dollar genarl and cvs has more of a verity than the IGA. it's ridiculouse you have to go to all 3 to get everything you need. I wish the IGA would close, and somebody that new how to run a business would open.
GTOWN GAL

Miamisburg, OH

#14 Sep 22, 2012
Smoke wrote:
This Is The Obama Plan
No it's the owner not paying his bills Plan and spending his money on all his family...
luke

Middletown, OH

#15 Sep 23, 2012
Fulmer's bought it
Joe

Columbus, OH

#16 Sep 29, 2012
I am a graduate of VVHS and I hope most of you are not because none of you spell. If you are grads of VVHS that school district has went to hell.
VVGrad

Dayton, OH

#17 Oct 3, 2012
Joe wrote:
I am a graduate of VVHS and I hope most of you are not because none of you spell. If you are grads of VVHS that school district has went to hell.
"has went to hell"?? LOL yeah, that's nothing to be proud of either in the grammar department!!!

Coming directly from a long time employee, Community Markets/Fresh Escape is purchasing the store, and they are looking to re-open by Nov. 1st. As of yesterday the old IGA is officially completely closed.
Joe

Columbus, OH

#18 Oct 5, 2012
VVGrad wrote:
<quoted text>
"has went to hell"?? LOL yeah, that's nothing to be proud of either in the grammar department!!!
Coming directly from a long time employee, Community Markets/Fresh Escape is purchasing the store, and they are looking to re-open by Nov. 1st. As of yesterday the old IGA is officially completely closed.
I was not speaking of grammer i was speaking of spelling.
Felicia

Middletown, OH

#19 Oct 5, 2012
Extreme couponing
J-Lo

Dayton, OH

#20 Nov 7, 2012
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
I was not speaking of grammer i was speaking of spelling.
Did you mean "grammar?"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Eaton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
dangerous criminal living in camden on liberty ... (May '12) 1 hr annoyedannoyed 12
Lime 23 hr Eatoneagle 1
concerned realitor Oct 15 shadow 1
permits Oct 8 the watcher 5
simon says Oct 8 simon says 1
***************towel heads are taking over*****... (Jun '10) Oct 6 Goodness 77
There are no rednecks in Preble county ! Oct 6 Horse-Steele 1
Eaton Dating
Find my Match

Eaton Jobs

Eaton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Eaton News, Events & Info