Crime tax supporters speak at rally

Crime tax supporters speak at rally

There are 1 comment on the A liberal dose story from Oct 15, 2007, titled Crime tax supporters speak at rally. In it, A liberal dose reports that:

“There's a lot of people who don't feel safe leaving their homes at night and that's not acceptable in our community”

ARLINGTON -- The city needs the proposed crime tax to deal with gangs, violent crimes and burglaries, city and police officials told residents at a rally Monday.

'People I've talked to do not feel safe in their neighborhoods,' Mayor Robert Cluck said. 'We just have too few policemen. They are overworked.'

Cluck said the proposed sales tax increase would pay to put nearly 50 more officers on the streets, as well as additional officers trained to combat gang and drug activity. Last month, a Sam Houston High School senior was fatally shot by another teen in a confrontation police say was gang-related. Read more

Join the discussion below, or Read more at A liberal dose.

Ward Hansen

Grand Prairie, TX

#1 Oct 20, 2007
Curious that Mr. Cluck proudly declared in his campaign literature that we should re-elect him to office because "He" lower the crime rate in Arlington.

Truth is the Arlington Crime rate (FBI UCR Class 1 Rate from the city's own web sites states that as of OCT 15, 2007 the Crime Rate is actually down 17% for 2007 and the 5 year average deviation (projected rate will be down 5% overall).

Why would the Chief the Mayor and Council change their position? Could it be fear to stand on principals regardless the “political clout" of the Police Association?

Truth is the Arlington Police on the street are doing a Great job. The real question for me is, are they doing it because of the leadership at City Hall or in spite of it. Ask a policeman.

Respectfully Submitted,
Ward

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Eastland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Green Frog Cafe @ 418 Pine Street 1940s (Apr '10) Aug 8 Terry peterson 7
News Weird 10 mins ago 1:14 p.m.Family finds rattles... (Feb '17) Jun '17 Alex 4
Karin Baker a.k.a Perkins May '17 Holla 1
Review: Midnight Video (Jul '13) May '17 Denny 2
Need referral help... May '17 colejustins 1
Best Mexican Food in Abilene Feb '17 Be there soon 1
Snakes in Siebert Elementary in Eastland (Aug '11) Feb '17 aaaa 4

Eastland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Eastland Mortgages