Powerball Winner Kept Mum -- Courant.com

Powerball Winner Kept Mum -- Courant.com

There are 26 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Oct 19, 2007, titled Powerball Winner Kept Mum -- Courant.com. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

For two weeks, no one knew who bought the winning $15 million Powerball ticket at a convenience store in Ashford earlier this month.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Steve

Bound Brook, NJ

#25 Oct 19, 2007
Exactly. Imagine how much less that $15M is going to be worth after 30 years of inflation. A few decent investments can (hopefully) help it grow faster than inflation.
Stu

Manchester, CT

#26 Oct 19, 2007
With inflation numbers not looking so hot and the doller dropping in value, it may make sense to take the lump now. Lets say that an annual payment is about $164,000/yr. Thats pretty good now, but is that $164k per year going to be looking so hot 10 years down the road? Even right now, thats about the same as dual incomes of $80k per year gross pre-tax. Pretty cushy in 97% of the state, but were not talking yacht, ski-lodge, and 4 vacations a year rich here. High tax bracket etc.

It looks as if the man quietly and logically weighed his options, assesed his risk, his own ability to generate other income/skills, most importantly his SELF CONTROL, and he is going to make the most of the windfall.

People who automatically reply "SAY NO TO LUMP-SUM" are probably right for people who have no ability to control their spending or the payout is so insanely high that you couldnt spend the annual payment fast enough before you got another check. As long as he doesnt go on a Escalade and Plasma TV shopping spree or get duped, he will benefit greatly by this windfall. Congratulations new millionaire! Take your wife out for a nice dinner at least!(in Paris)
transplant from CT wrote:
Never understood,
you take the lump sum because the annuity (the aforementioned $15 million)is what he would have gotten had the multi-state lottery commission invested the money. A Reader explains it rather well. By taking the lump sum, he can then invest the remaining money ($5 million after taxes). If he is good at investing (or hires somebody who is), then he could make off much better than taking the annuity.
Paul

Oakville, CT

#27 Oct 19, 2007
Uncle John wrote:
Uncle John!!!! Hi!! It's me, your nephew Billy Bob!!! Can I stop over this weekend??? I need to talk to you about somethin'!!!!
It better not be a flat screen tv ?
enlightened

Wolcott, CT

#28 Oct 19, 2007
I think that Pres. Bush should start an Iraqiball. Make it country wide. All states have to participate. We could finance the war for oil and win. This is what he should do.
Toddm

Birds Landing, CA

#29 Oct 19, 2007
Oh my God! How greedy can government be?$4.9 mil out if $15,000,000. What a sad state we are in with our tax systems.
If you win $1mil maybe they'll buy you dinner and a movie.
mike the tax payer

Manchester, CT

#30 Oct 19, 2007
enlightened wrote:
I think that Pres. Bush should start an Iraqiball. Make it country wide. All states have to participate. We could finance the war for oil and win. This is what he should do.
we already have this: its called paying taxes.

The jackpot is national security; paid out over the next 20 years.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Eastford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fairfield woman clowned with Wavy Gravy Jul 30 BPT 2
News Second Connecticut suspect sentenced in double ... (Apr '07) Jul 17 Lauren 3
Wierd Animal possible big cat sighting? (Jun '07) May '15 tony c 49
News Inmate Dead; Found In Cell In Apparent Suicide ... (Sep '07) Feb '15 Officercote 107
Best time entertainment scam (Jun '14) Feb '15 danny brown 2
News Mix-And-Match Home Design (Mar '08) Dec '14 William Walker 2
Debate: Gay Marriage - Woodstock, CT (Jan '12) Nov '14 Jessie Anderson 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Eastford Mortgages