Powerball Winner Kept Mum -- Courant.com

Powerball Winner Kept Mum -- Courant.com

There are 26 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Oct 19, 2007, titled Powerball Winner Kept Mum -- Courant.com. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

For two weeks, no one knew who bought the winning $15 million Powerball ticket at a convenience store in Ashford earlier this month.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dave f

Buena Park, CA

#1 Oct 19, 2007
courant is finally placing good stories on page one after working 30 years in newspapers composing rooms its nice to see this happening again........
bonzo

Marion, CT

#2 Oct 19, 2007
country bumpkin does good
mike the tax payer

Manchester, CT

#3 Oct 19, 2007
Dave f wrote:
courant is finally placing good stories on page one after working 30 years in newspapers composing rooms its nice to see this happening again........
to bad that, between yesterday afternoon when this story first appeared on the site and this morning after its presumably gone to print, they couldn't fix the obvious typos.
Far Ted

East Hartford, CT

#4 Oct 19, 2007
for $4.9 million he can buy Ashford.
Blame the Parents

North Kingstown, RI

#5 Oct 19, 2007
Glad to see he denied the son's request for a flat screen TV. Make him work for it. Good for you! Congrats
Jack

Wilton, CT

#6 Oct 19, 2007
Good luck, you deserve it. Great judgement calls.
Sue

Peabody, MA

#7 Oct 19, 2007
OK help me with this... it was a $15 million prize jackpot, he took the lump sum of 7,035,647.28, and THEN AFTER taxes he got to take home $4.9 million. What happened to the other $7 million? The state and feds really do make out well with these lotteries, between the sales and the taxes on the prizes. Anyway, my sincere congratulations to the winner, enjoy and have the time of your life!
CONNECTICUT

Rocky Hill, CT

#9 Oct 19, 2007
Enjoy and invest it wisely!!!
zmann2007

Hartford, CT

#12 Oct 19, 2007
It went from 15 million to 4.9 million? Wow!! I think law should be changed on that?? Why does the GOVT have to keep 50% of lottery winnings for?? And for Pete's sake get your kid the Flat screen TV!! You can afford to get it now!!
Benjamin

United States

#13 Oct 19, 2007
Sue wrote:
OK help me with this... it was a $15 million prize jackpot, he took the lump sum of 7,035,647.28, and THEN AFTER taxes he got to take home $4.9 million. What happened to the other $7 million? The state and feds really do make out well with these lotteries, between the sales and the taxes on the prizes. Anyway, my sincere congratulations to the winner, enjoy and have the time of your life!
It's only a $15M prize if you take it in installments spread out over many years. If you want the lump sum payment, the $15M is only worth $7.03564728M before taxes, divorce Attorneys, ransom payments and all those wonderful little things that seem to crop up when people appear on the tube bragging about their newfound wealth.
Uncle John

Hartford, CT

#14 Oct 19, 2007
Uncle John!!!! Hi!! It's me, your nephew Billy Bob!!! Can I stop over this weekend??? I need to talk to you about somethin'!!!!
Never Understood

Hartford, CT

#15 Oct 19, 2007
Benjamin wrote:
<quoted text>It's only a $15M prize if you take it in installments spread out over many years. If you want the lump sum payment, the $15M is only worth $7.03564728M before taxes, divorce Attorneys, ransom payments and all those wonderful little things that seem to crop up when people appear on the tube bragging about their newfound wealth.
Never understood why people took their winnings in lump sum. You get screwed and you don't even get kissed!!! Set up a trust with survivorship and have lotto pay the trust in yearly payments. You get more $$$ and more people can benefit from it. Or you can be a Stu Pidasso and take it in lump sum, piss it away and come up broke!!!! Yea, that's the American Dream!!!!!!
jackass

Storrs Mansfield, CT

#16 Oct 19, 2007
you just won $5 million and you won't buy your son a television???? christ, i would've asked for a car, you should be proud to have a son that only asks for that. you don't deserve the money if you refuse to spend it on your own child
Haaartford

Hartford, CT

#17 Oct 19, 2007
It's about time someone from Connecticut wins Powerball! Usually it's someone from the midwest. Good luck, sir!
At First

Hartford, CT

#18 Oct 19, 2007
jackass wrote:
you just won $5 million and you won't buy your son a television???? christ, i would've asked for a car, you should be proud to have a son that only asks for that. you don't deserve the money if you refuse to spend it on your own child
At first I thought your name post was refering to the lotto winner. But now that I read your comments, I realize that IS your name!!!!!
sjm2

Plymouth, MN

#19 Oct 19, 2007
Never Understood wrote:
<quoted text>
Never understood why people took their winnings in lump sum.... You get more $$$ and more people can benefit from it.
I would suggest that you take a finance course to understand why it is a better move to take the reduced lump sum up front and invest it to get MUCH more money during the 20 years of the annuity payout.

Let's assume that half of the cash is gone to taxes, so his total winnings is about 7.5 m whether he takes payments or a lump sum. He had a choice of taking the 7.5 m distributed over 20 years or 4.9 m cash now.

If you take the 4.9 mill and conservatively invest it at 5 percent over 20 years, compounded monthly, you'll have about 13.3 million - almost DOUBLE the 7.5 million you'd get from the lottery over 20 years.

At 7 percent, the total jumps up to just under 20 mil.

That's why.
A Reader

Mount Kisco, NY

#20 Oct 19, 2007
Sue wrote:
OK help me with this... it was a $15 million prize jackpot, he took the lump sum of 7,035,647.28, and THEN AFTER taxes he got to take home $4.9 million. What happened to the other $7 million? The state and feds really do make out well with these lotteries, between the sales and the taxes on the prizes.
The available prize pool to fund a graduated prize payment (30 payments over 29 years) was $7,035,647.

The Lottery uses that $7 million amount to secure a bond that (over 29 years) will mature in value to $15,000,000.

In selecting the annuity option, the winner would have gotten 30 graduated payments over 29 years, at the end of those payments, the payments (pre-tax) would have added up to $15,000,000. Annually, taxes would have been removed from each payment, at whatever the current state and federal tax rates would be during that year.

By choosing the one-time cash lump sum, the winner received the total value of the prize pool,$7,035,647. From that amount, taxes were removed from that $7 million value.
Mary

Hartford, CT

#21 Oct 19, 2007
I dunno, Never Understood, spend $1, make $4.9 million, even if it's alot less than the $15 mil -- I think that's the deal of the century. Who cares what the state takes? You're still $5 million richer.
transplant from CT

Dumfries, VA

#23 Oct 19, 2007
Never understood,

you take the lump sum because the annuity (the aforementioned $15 million)is what he would have gotten had the multi-state lottery commission invested the money. A Reader explains it rather well. By taking the lump sum, he can then invest the remaining money ($5 million after taxes). If he is good at investing (or hires somebody who is), then he could make off much better than taking the annuity.
dan

Waterbury, CT

#24 Oct 19, 2007
get a life

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Eastford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Racism in Eastern Connecticut often hidden (Jan '07) Nov '17 Paul Kersey 24
Why Does Stafford Effing Suck? (Apr '11) Aug '16 Sporty 6
News Failing Concrete Foundations Linked to Aggregate (May '16) May '16 Sheryl 1
News Stafford Graffiti Artist Arrested Again While A... (May '09) Apr '16 Screwball 62
Empress Theresa (Feb '16) Mar '16 kybunnies 2
News How Many Package Stores Does Greenwich Have? (Aug '15) Aug '15 BPT 4
News Second Connecticut suspect sentenced in double ... (Apr '07) Jul '15 Lauren 3

Eastford Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Eastford Mortgages