State Turning Up Heat On Unscrupulous Propane Dealers

State officials have fired their first promised salvo against unscrupulous propane gas practices by forcing Paraco Gas to reimburse the owner of a small East Windsor tool and die shop for the 70 gallons of ... Full Story
Yup

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Nov 23, 2008
The "George Haters" Club, back in action folks!!

Thanks for the continue laughs....
Bill

Newington, CT

#4 Nov 25, 2008
"Take a step back; 230,000 users and maybe 50 compliants works out to .0002%."

For every person that filed a complaint, there are probably a hundred people who are so fed up that they just pay whatever they get charged.

PROPANE DEALERS ARE SCAMMERS.
woodstove

Danbury, CT

#5 Nov 25, 2008
I don't think it's fair to brand a whole industry unscrupulous for a few bad experiences.What people need to know is the massive regulation both federal and state that propane co.s have to deal with.From permitting an installation to the regulations that govern the commercial drivers that deliver the fuel how can anyone say this is an unregulated business?Pricing may seem unfair but it cost far more to deliver 20 gallons of propane to a single customer than it does to deliver 200 gallons.People have a choice when it comes to the propane co.they want to use.Nobody has to sign a seven year contract[Which sounds ridiculous to me].Know what the terms are before you sign up with a company eg.rental fees ,cost per gallon,any surcharges at delivery.Use a company that fits your needs.If you need service use a full service company.If you already have a service provider go for the cheapest gas you can get from a solid delivery company.
Bill

Newington, CT

#11 Nov 26, 2008
greg wrote:
From Dog's "blog"
"I am referring to your article on November 23, 2008.
I don't understand why you would suggest to home owners to go out and purchase their own tanks from Home Depot. Everyone wants to save a few extra bucks but look at the danger you are putting these people in by suggesting they can hook up their own gas tank to the existing line. I think I would be a little scared doing this especially now with all the recent incidents in the propane industry we have had in CT. Besides, speaking from experience, insurance companies require safety checks on these gas lines and the appliances once the line has been disconnected. It would be terrible tragedy to lose everything and not be covered by insurance too and god forbid there's a loss of life. You may be paying higher prices on some things but you can't put a price tag on the safety of you and your family. Personnally, not good advice this time around."
Same as changing a gas grill tank. Can you handle that? He didn't advocate changing or installing any lines. Clearly you are propane dealer trying to use scare tactics to protect your right to overcharge people.
Bill

Newington, CT

#12 Nov 26, 2008
woodstove wrote:
I don't think it's fair to brand a whole industry unscrupulous for a few bad experiences.What people need to know is the massive regulation both federal and state that propane co.s have to deal with.From permitting an installation to the regulations that govern the commercial drivers that deliver the fuel how can anyone say this is an unregulated business?Pricing may seem unfair but it cost far more to deliver 20 gallons of propane to a single customer than it does to deliver 200 gallons.People have a choice when it comes to the propane co.they want to use.Nobody has to sign a seven year contract[Which sounds ridiculous to me].Know what the terms are before you sign up with a company eg.rental fees ,cost per gallon,any surcharges at delivery.Use a company that fits your needs.If you need service use a full service company.If you already have a service provider go for the cheapest gas you can get from a solid delivery company.
Explain to me why a propane tank rental contract has to be 4000 words of FINE PRINT??????????
LMAO

Jersey City, NJ

#15 Nov 27, 2008
greg wrote:
Our membership read in horror the advice Watchdog columnist George Gombossy has given to propane consumers in Connecticut [Nov. 23, "Propane Problems: Turning Up Heat"]:
"If you use a small amount of propane, think about buying your own tank; then you can have anyone fill it. I checked Thursday at the Enfield Home Depot, and 100-pound tanks (which hold about 25 gallons) sell for $129. Or buy a 40-pound tank and, with a friend, take it to a propane dealer and fill it yourself for some real savings."
Encouraging consumers to connect and reconnect their own propane gas connections is reckless advice. More significantly, untrained or unlicensed consumers (or anyone who is not properly qualified to do so in Connecticut) performing work on a propane system could potentially cause serious personal injury, property damage and loss of life.
The activity encouraged by Mr. Gombossy is not the same as a consumer connecting an outdoor gas grill. Nor does Mr. Gombossy offer any Department of Transportation advice for transporting the type of cylinders he has encouraged readers to purchase.
Making connections to a consumer system is much different and requires special consideration of inside gas appliance controls that could fail after a system interruption. Consumer meddling with gas-fired equipment and propane storage and distribution systems is the single greatest cause of propane accidents nationwide.
Mr. Gombossy's advice encourages reckless and dangerous intervention with a safe consumer storage and pressure delivery system. Furthermore, it ignores a collateral code requirement that a propane gas system must be leak-checked after every interruption in service, as well as the need to safely relight gas pilot flames.
Joseph U. Rose, President, Propane Gas Association of New England, Moultonboro, N.H.
Where is the Courant's oversight of the "column"?
The DOG suggests a course of action that could lead to loss of property and even life.
He should be fired!
D*M Straight!! Anyone with an ounce of wisdom knows not to make suggestions like that. There will always be that one person who thinks he can sidestep the professionals and do it himself. That's the person who ends up on the 6 o'clock news standing next to his house that just turned into a pile of charcoal.

I've said all along that George is an idiot, and George, thanks for proving me right!
John

Newington, CT

#18 Dec 1, 2008
Bunch of crap from the propane dealers association.
LMAO wrote:
<quoted text>
D*M Straight!! Anyone with an ounce of wisdom knows not to make suggestions like that. There will always be that one person who thinks he can sidestep the professionals and do it himself. That's the person who ends up on the 6 o'clock news standing next to his house that just turned into a pile of charcoal.
I've said all along that George is an idiot, and George, thanks for proving me right!
Regina

AOL

#19 Jan 7, 2009
I live in West Virginia, and cannot understand why the price of propane is so much higher here then elsewhere. The price I was given yesterday is $287.9 plus tax. My sister lives in Illinois and her price as of yesterday was $1.68.9 plus tax. I think that we are getting gouged here on the price of propane and gasoline.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

East Windsor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Best food in enfield? 18 hr Belly 1
CT Who do you support for Governor in Connecticut ... (Oct '10) Tue Tippy Faulker 792
Windsor Locks Man Pleads Guilty In Underage Sex... (Apr '08) Sep 14 Legal Fairness 24
Debate: Gay Marriage - Enfield, CT (Jul '10) Sep 8 Of course 56
Enfield Man Gets Approval To Open 'Powder Hollo... Sep 8 Not stupid 2
Hartford Prostitution Stings Leads To 17 Arrests (Sep '13) Sep 5 Anthony Wall 6
8 Milo Peck Ln house Aug 27 Ania 1
•••
•••

East Windsor Jobs

•••
•••
•••

East Windsor People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE