Stoughton sergeant guilty of attempte...

Stoughton sergeant guilty of attempted extortion, intimidation

There are 2760 comments on the Boston Globe story from Jul 30, 2007, titled Stoughton sergeant guilty of attempted extortion, intimidation. In it, Boston Globe reports that:

“It was a complicated case, a long case, a lot of evidence to go through, and as far as I'm concerned it was a just verdict”

A Stoughton police sergeant was convicted today of abusing his police powers to aid his day job as an attorney. via Boston Globe

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Boston Globe.

First Prev
of 138
Next Last
Not a just verdict

West Bridgewater, MA

#1 Jul 31, 2007
Mr. Cohen does not need help with his day job!!! Of course it makes for a better story when you lie and say that... The men Mr. Cohen were dealing with were criminals!! Mr. Cohen was doing his job and the only reason the jury found him guilty is because of the bias judge and bully of a prosecution! The entire trial was a Circus that was based on lies... From following this trial, I strongly believe that there will be a reversal and Mr. Cohen will be exonerated!
Juror 451

Revere, MA

#2 Jul 31, 2007
Not a just verdict wrote:
Mr. Cohen does not need help with his day job!!! Of course it makes for a better story when you lie and say that... The men Mr. Cohen were dealing with were criminals!! Mr. Cohen was doing his job and the only reason the jury found him guilty is because of the bias judge and bully of a prosecution! The entire trial was a Circus that was based on lies... From following this trial, I strongly believe that there will be a reversal and Mr. Cohen will be exonerated!
I just want to say you are right about one thing. The verdict was not just. It was not just because Cohen should have also been found guilty of armed kidnapping/unlawful confinement and assault and battery (in the Viverito Case). You are clearly a friend of the defendant. Any rational person would agree with me. I was one of the 12 jurors and I know much more about this case than you do. First of all, yes the men Cohen dealt with were criminals. Who cares? That does not excuse his own misconduct. Two wrongs don't make a right. He was found guilty because there were taped voice recording of him making threats to Timothy Hills. Lets completely disregard those, then I will agree with you. The judge was far from biased, and the prosecution is doing it's job if it is bullying Cohen. So essentially everything you said was wrong.-gooday
Juror 451

Revere, MA

#3 Jul 31, 2007
oops, i made a couple of typos. my points remain valid though

LVL

Since: Jul 07

Chestnut Hill, MA

#4 Jul 31, 2007
Dear Juror 451,

Did you hear those "taped voice recordings"?
Not a just verdict

West Bridgewater, MA

#5 Jul 31, 2007
Juror 451 wrote:
<quoted text>
I just want to say you are right about one thing. The verdict was not just. It was not just because Cohen should have also been found guilty of armed kidnapping/unlawful confinement and assault and battery (in the Viverito Case). You are clearly a friend of the defendant. Any rational person would agree with me. I was one of the 12 jurors and I know much more about this case than you do. First of all, yes the men Cohen dealt with were criminals. Who cares? That does not excuse his own misconduct. Two wrongs don't make a right. He was found guilty because there were taped voice recording of him making threats to Timothy Hills. Lets completely disregard those, then I will agree with you. The judge was far from biased, and the prosecution is doing it's job if it is bullying Cohen. So essentially everything you said was wrong.-gooday
You are right I'm a friend of Mr. Cohen and yes, I did hear the tapes and he sounded calmer than a slug! If anything he may have sounded a little frustrated because he hadn't heard from the criminal Mr. Hills. But, that's not a crime. If you were a member of the jury like you say you were then I'm sorry to tell you that you all made a huge mistake and have convicted an innocent man! I would like to also let you know that when the jury leaves the judge stays and a lot goes on that the jury does not see so, you don't see everything or hear everything that goes on. I'm very familiar with the legal system and let me tell you this was not a typical trial. There were many many errors and bias decisions made by the judge and extremely sloppy and in my opinion criminal acts made by the prosecution. But, again you don't get to see and hear all of that! With that said, we are all entitled to our own opinions and I can say that I respectfully disagree with you. I have to say that David Cohen is one of the finest gentlemen that I've ever known and am so proud to know him....
One of the twelve jurors

Woodside, NY

#6 Jul 31, 2007
This trial was full of many GREY areas.....A circus for sure!!Conflicting testimonies, Drama, lies.....An excruciating experience to be a juror on this case. After sitting as a juror for many weeks in the trial, I was not chosen as an alternate.(I wish I had during our deliberations....they were nasty). Deliberations took almost five days......I found it to be five days of pure hell. After being a juror since mid June, I am not happy about anything that transpired in this trial....Especially the verdict!! I was instructed to go by evidence and what the charges actually were...Until now, I had no idea that it is extortion if a police officer threatens arrest if a party is not made whole.(Victim's money returned). Unfortunately, the way the law and charge is written, I had no choice in my guilty verdict(last hold out that I was). I do know that it is common practice. I am heart broken for Sgt Cohen and his family. I do believe he made some errors in judgement. Why did he try to make contact with Grand Jury witnesses...? Do I think he is a criminal? No, not at all. Do I think that this rediculous investigation was all based on a "REAL CRIMINAL" trying to divert attention off of himself...contacting authorities..B.B.O, Attorney General.... It's amazing to me that the "criminal" is now working for a Bank and free as a bird.(And still, after many years has not paid his victim back entirely) I would have absolutely derived pleasure out of saying guilty in a case against him. I do beleive that Sgt Cohen was trying to do the right thing. Some of my fellow jurors would totally disagree. Believe me, I had to "explain" myself over and over....
I believe that Sgt Cohen is a good man and hope that he remains a free man.
I hope that if I ever need help from the police.......they will be able to try to resolve issues without any hesitations... due to this case.
I was shocked over the kidnapping charges....Shocked that the Commonwealth would even come up with this charge and shocked that some wanted to convict on this charge. I honestly would have never changed my mind on this charge.
My thoughts go out to the Cohens and all that are connected to them.\
A reluctent Juror
Not a just verdict

West Bridgewater, MA

#7 Jul 31, 2007
One of the twelve jurors wrote:
This trial was full of many GREY areas.....A circus for sure!!Conflicting testimonies, Drama, lies.....An excruciating experience to be a juror on this case. After sitting as a juror for many weeks in the trial, I was not chosen as an alternate.(I wish I had during our deliberations....they were nasty). Deliberations took almost five days......I found it to be five days of pure hell. After being a juror since mid June, I am not happy about anything that transpired in this trial....Especially the verdict!! I was instructed to go by evidence and what the charges actually were...Until now, I had no idea that it is extortion if a police officer threatens arrest if a party is not made whole.(Victim's money returned). Unfortunately, the way the law and charge is written, I had no choice in my guilty verdict(last hold out that I was). I do know that it is common practice. I am heart broken for Sgt Cohen and his family. I do believe he made some errors in judgement. Why did he try to make contact with Grand Jury witnesses...? Do I think he is a criminal? No, not at all. Do I think that this rediculous investigation was all based on a "REAL CRIMINAL" trying to divert attention off of himself...contacting authorities..B.B.O, Attorney General.... It's amazing to me that the "criminal" is now working for a Bank and free as a bird.(And still, after many years has not paid his victim back entirely) I would have absolutely derived pleasure out of saying guilty in a case against him. I do beleive that Sgt Cohen was trying to do the right thing. Some of my fellow jurors would totally disagree. Believe me, I had to "explain" myself over and over....
I believe that Sgt Cohen is a good man and hope that he remains a free man.
I hope that if I ever need help from the police.......they will be able to try to resolve issues without any hesitations... due to this case.
I was shocked over the kidnapping charges....Shocked that the Commonwealth would even come up with this charge and shocked that some wanted to convict on this charge. I honestly would have never changed my mind on this charge.
My thoughts go out to the Cohens and all that are connected to them.\
A reluctent Juror
I feel so sorry for you that you had to go through that! I think some people are just too quick to convict someone especially because David is a cop and an attorney. A lot of people have had bad experiences and would love to convict a cop without even thinking about it! It got nasty at times when the jurors left the court room. I'm sure that the judge will make sure that David gets the maximum punishment that the law allows. Right after the jurors left, Jabour demanded the judge to sentence him right then and there and lock him up. He said David's a known criminal now and is a danger to society! I couldn't believe it! The judge actually considered it for a minute... When she said she would sentence him after vacation which is in 3 weeks Gabour then insisted that he be put on a GPS bracelet... the judge gave into the bully and now David has to wear a bracelet and can't leave the town of Stoughton. His family is devastated and still in shock as are most of us...Thanks for your kind words.
One of the twelve jurors

Woodside, NY

#8 Jul 31, 2007
Not a just verdict wrote:
<quoted text>I feel so sorry for you that you had to go through that! I think some people are just too quick to convict someone especially because David is a cop and an attorney. A lot of people have had bad experiences and would love to convict a cop without even thinking about it! It got nasty at times when the jurors left the court room. I'm sure that the judge will make sure that David gets the maximum punishment that the law allows. Right after the jurors left, Jabour demanded the judge to sentence him right then and there and lock him up. He said David's a known criminal now and is a danger to society! I couldn't believe it! The judge actually considered it for a minute... When she said she would sentence him after vacation which is in 3 weeks Gabour then insisted that he be put on a GPS bracelet... the judge gave into the bully and now David has to wear a bracelet and can't leave the town of Stoughton. His family is devastated and still in shock as are most of us...Thanks for your kind words.
Shocking, but not surprising I suppose.....I am greatful that we had been sent out of the court room and that I didn't have to witness the next tragic circus act. I am afraid that doing my "civic duty" and sitting on this jury, will haunt me for a long while. I have learned now...Our system is very flawed! My idealistic view and faith is now quite tainted.

I am not a religious person, however, my prayers are with the Cohens. I do hope that the sentencing will be the absolute minimum. Save the harsh sentences for the REAL CRIMINALS.
Devastated

Boston, MA

#9 Aug 1, 2007
Dear one of the 12,
We are still all quite shocked...I am waiting to wake up from this awful dream. I feel for you. Definately was a circus from the start(3 years ago). There was so much you 12 didn't see or hear when you were not in the court room. The prosecution had an agenda most of which you will probably never know. David would NEVER put his careers or his family on the line...for anybody! Unfortunately, this will be our nightmare for an indefinate time.........
One of the twelve jurors wrote:
This trial was full of many GREY areas.....A circus for sure!!Conflicting testimonies, Drama, lies.....An excruciating experience to be a juror on this case. After sitting as a juror for many weeks in the trial, I was not chosen as an alternate.(I wish I had during our deliberations....they were nasty). Deliberations took almost five days......I found it to be five days of pure hell. After being a juror since mid June, I am not happy about anything that transpired in this trial....Especially the verdict!! I was instructed to go by evidence and what the charges actually were...Until now, I had no idea that it is extortion if a police officer threatens arrest if a party is not made whole.(Victim's money returned). Unfortunately, the way the law and charge is written, I had no choice in my guilty verdict(last hold out that I was). I do know that it is common practice. I am heart broken for Sgt Cohen and his family. I do believe he made some errors in judgement. Why did he try to make contact with Grand Jury witnesses...? Do I think he is a criminal? No, not at all. Do I think that this rediculous investigation was all based on a "REAL CRIMINAL" trying to divert attention off of himself...contacting authorities..B.B.O, Attorney General.... It's amazing to me that the "criminal" is now working for a Bank and free as a bird.(And still, after many years has not paid his victim back entirely) I would have absolutely derived pleasure out of saying guilty in a case against him. I do beleive that Sgt Cohen was trying to do the right thing. Some of my fellow jurors would totally disagree. Believe me, I had to "explain" myself over and over....
I believe that Sgt Cohen is a good man and hope that he remains a free man.
I hope that if I ever need help from the police.......they will be able to try to resolve issues without any hesitations... due to this case.
I was shocked over the kidnapping charges....Shocked that the Commonwealth would even come up with this charge and shocked that some wanted to convict on this charge. I honestly would have never changed my mind on this charge.
My thoughts go out to the Cohens and all that are connected to them.\
A reluctent Juror
Crime pays For Criminals

United States

#10 Aug 1, 2007
The legal system is supposed to protect those who cant protect or need help protecting themselves against crime and criminals.
The case of David Cohen is an absolute disgrace for the integrity of the legal system as a whole. David Cohen swore to protect and serve which he did admirably. The disapointment here besides the obvious is the misconduct and complete disregard for a fair trial afforded good upstanding people as well as police officers.
For example, the prosecution and their number 1 witness getting caught withholding key evidence which would have helped the defense which doesnt even get a slap on the wrist for the prosecution.
Is that fair?
For all you jurors who voted guilty I hope you meet up with a Tim Hill(or Hills) or Viverito someday in business and they steal your money like many of their other victims and when you look for the police to help they remind you of the POOR/UNJUST decision you made in this trial when you gave a guilty verdict to an innocent man trying to do his job of protecting and serving the community.
His help was only to serve the public and to think the prosecutions idea of his motive was ego is as ridiculous as their action in this case.
If you didnt have to talk about these people why would you!
The Hard Truth

Boston, MA

#11 Aug 1, 2007
It is very easy for you low life people to jump on the wagon and throw David under the bus. Do any of you even know him or what kind of person he is? I for one do know him and know that he is INNOCENT of all these ridiculous charges. If any of you only knew someone in your life that would go to bat for you no matter what and never ask for anything in return, you would certainly be looking at this in a very different light. As far as the jurors go, you should be ashamed of yourselves. How could you let an innocent man be punnished like this when there are REAL crimminals walking around.....Timothy Hills. I hope that not one of you will ever need the assistance of a police officer/lawyer in your life....b/c if you do, I hope they spit on you like you did on David.
fellow officer

Randolph, MA

#12 Aug 1, 2007
This entire investigation should have been farmed out to a different county as any DA would normally do in a police investigation. This is the first time I have ever seen an invetstigation of this nature remain within the same county. The DA sends these types of cases out to MAINTAIN THE APPEARANCE OF PROPRIETY. Had this been done, a prosecutor would have been able to handle this case with no bias, as it is clear that Mr Jabour had very strong bias against the Stoughton Police Department. He was under the control of the DA's office throughout the grand jury investigation. This is in and of itself improper.

The trial was a complete circus. I feel for the "reluctant juror" who posted his or her view of this three ring circus. David Cohen is the very reason that I became a police officer. He not only did his job but encouraged proactive officers to do their job with objectivity, vigilance and professionalism.

THe prosecution hid evidence, lost evidence, lost Jessica Dustin (because she might tell the truth about Jabour's coersion)and was conned by a career swindler by the name of Tim Hill (or Hills).

This trial creates a dangerous precdent for police officers across the nation. How are we supposed to even attempt to make a victim of a crime whole for their losses now for fear of prosecution for extortion.?? Do we even investigate any type of larceny in the future or just send the victim right over to the civil office of the district court? Think about it the next time you get ripped off.

David Cohen is a good person, good family man, good police officer and an outstanding attorney. His job was to be a cop and help people. He did his job. As a matter of fact, I do my job based on his example. I was trained by he and Officer Letendre. I geuss I should be tried next.

I look forward to his complete exhoneration. I look forward to an independant review of Mr Jabour's handling of this mess.
Not a just verdict wrote:
Mr. Cohen does not need help with his day job!!! Of course it makes for a better story when you lie and say that... The men Mr. Cohen were dealing with were criminals!! Mr. Cohen was doing his job and the only reason the jury found him guilty is because of the bias judge and bully of a prosecution! The entire trial was a Circus that was based on lies... From following this trial, I strongly believe that there will be a reversal and Mr. Cohen will be exonerated!
JURY MISLED

West Bridgewater, MA

#13 Aug 1, 2007
The jury instructions were wrong because it’s not a crime for a police officer to simply threaten someone with arrest. Police officers do it all the time.
WRONG PERSON CONVICTED 4

Boston, MA

#14 Aug 1, 2007
TO ALL THE JURY MEMBERS LET ME TELL YOU A LITTLE BIT ABOUT THE CHARGES YOU CONVICTED DAVID COHEN . INTIMIDATING A WITNESS BRIAN SEXTON, YOU HEARD WITH YOUR OWN EARS HE WENT TO PUB OWNER JAMES MARATHIS TO LOCATE DAVID COHEN TO TELL HIM THE TRUTH ABOUT TIM HILL WRITING HIS AFFIDAVIT AND HE WANTED TO TELL THE TRUTH, BUT YOU BRILLIANT JURY MEMBERS WOULD NOT EXCEPT THE TRUTH, BECAUSE YOU CAN'T BELIEVE A GRAND JURY WOULD INDICT SOMEONE ON SUCH RIDICULOUS CHARGES. THE OTHER PERSON JAMIE KELLY WAS A FRIEND OF DAVID'S SHE WAS SO SCARED OF JABOURS HENCH MEN THREATING HER WITH PERJURY AND TELLING TO TELL THE TRUTH. IN CASE YOU DON'T KNOW WHEN JABOUR DIDN'T LIKE YOUR ANSWER HE WOULD POUND YOU UNTIL YOU GAVE HIM THE ANSWER HE WANTED ( I KNOW). JAMIE WAS SO NERVOUS ON THE STAND YOU THINK SHE WAS ON SOMETHING. SHE BROKE DOWN.
NOW FOR MR. HILLS OR HILL WHATEVER HE USES TO CON MONEY. I HOPE ALL YOU JURY MEMBERS OPEN AN ACCOUNT WITH SOVERIGN BANK AND TIM HILLS OVERSEES IT. YOU WILL BE BROKE IN A MONTH. HE MADE UP FAKE COMPANIES TO INVEST IN. IN 1998 HE STOLE OVER A HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS FROM INVESTORS ON WALL STREET AND WAS BAN FOR LIFE FROM THE SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE. HOWEVER, HE CHANGES HIS NAME TO START FAKE COMPANIES WITH BOGUS INVESTMENTS. HE WRITES HOT CHECKS TO EVERYONE AND COMMITED FRAUD WITH A BUSINESS IN CANTON BY SIGNING THE OWNERS NAME TO A PROCESSING TERMINAL SHE NEVER REQUESTED. HE CONNED HIS EX GIRLFRIEND PARENTS OUT OF A LARGE AMOUNT OF MONEY. EVERYWHERE HE GOES HE SWINDLES MONEY OUT OF PEOPLE. I HOPE YOUR PROUD OF YOUR CONVICTION OF ATTEMPTED EXTORTION CHARGES. WAIT UNTIL YOUR JURY MEMBERS RUN INTO A TIM HILL GOOD LUCK GETTING HELP.
WRONG PERSON CONVICTED 4

Boston, MA

#15 Aug 1, 2007
LVL wrote:
Dear Juror 451,
Did you hear those "taped voice recordings"?
I HEARD THEM . THE VOICE WAS ALTERED.
INJUSTICE

Mansfield, MA

#16 Aug 1, 2007
TO ALL OF YOU THAT COMMENTED ABOUT DAVID COHEN. I KNOW DAVID VERY WELL. I HAVE KNOWN HIM FOR SEVERAL YEARS AND HE IS ONE PERSON WE SHOULD ALL LOOK UP TO. HIS OUTSTANDING NATURE AS A PERSON IS UNPARALLEL AND HE TREAT PEOPLE LIKE HE WOULD WANT TO BE TREATED WITH NOTHING BUT RESPECT. HE IS AN OUTSTANDING MEMBER OF THE COMMUNITY AND HAS BEEN SLAPPED IN THE FACE BY THE PROSECUSION. THE JUDGE AND PROSECUTOR JABOUR HAVE BEEN CORRUPT SINCE DAY 1. THIS IS A DISCRACE TO OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM AND THE JURY MEMBERS THAT CONVICTED AN INNOCENT MAN SHOULD HANG THEIR HEAD IN SHAME EVERY DAY. THESE PEOPLE WERE CRIMINALS. I HOPE MR VIVITERO TAKES OUT HIS ANGER ON YOUR NEXT TIME HE HAS ROAD RAGE AND YOU’RE THE VICTIM OF IT. I HOPE MR HILLS TAKES YOUR MONEY AND RUNS HE’S A DIRT BAG. AN APPEAL WILL CLEAR HIS NAME BECAUSE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS CASE WAS INJUST. THE PROSECUTION LIED AND CHEATED AND HAD THE CROOKED JUDGE ON THEIR SIDE. THE JURY WAS WRONG AND THEY ALL KNOW IT.
One of the twelve jurors

Woodside, NY

#17 Aug 1, 2007
I feel compelled to say thank you for not slamming me as a juror. This whole trial and its ending has tormented me all along. The charges that I did find David Cohen guilty of, I did not agree with. The definitions themselves and the instructions that were given to us were very difficult.Unfortunately, the way the charges read, coupled with those instructions, gave me no choice....no matter how much I disagreed. The definitions were explicit.....As a person who takes pride in always trying my best to always do the right thing, following all the rules and be honest..I feel that this situation made me, by following the rules, do the WRONG thing.
I feel there is nothing wrong in the world with a police officer trying to get stolen, swindle money back from a CON MAN and back into the hands of the victim.....(HILLS< HILL....Whatever he calls himself ), according to the law: David could not threaten arrest or anything else, if payment wasn't made. Do I agree with this.....NO. I know that mediating, solving issues before criminal charges are made, is common practice for police. Unfortunately, this will set a precedent in the future and police will not be able to make party's whole. Negotiation will no longer take place.......What a shame!! David Cohen trying to get Peter Maranelli's money back, was not a crime.....However, the law is written differently.....I had to vote the way I did. I had no other choice....even though I didn't agree. Pure torture!! In the intimidating of a witness charges: I wish that David had never attempted any contact with either of the witnesses......The Bank Teller or Brian Sexton. The fact that they were going to be testifying in front of the Grand Jury, made them completely off limits. I don't believe that David actually "Intimidated" them at all. The contact was the mistake. A crime? NO!! Again, I don't believe that David Cohen is a criminal at all.!! The laws are written however, in a very specific way. The entire investigation is a travesty to to me. There are REAL CRIMINALS out there!! Some are working for Sovereign Bank! Why aren't they in Jail?
I wish that the jury had been privy to more information. I have learned that much went on in the courtroom when we were absent. I know much was not admissible evidence for us to know and see. However, it is hard to see the entire picture clearly, with half of the puzzle pieces missing. Our system is imperfect for sure.

I know that I am proud of sticking to my convictions and digging my heels in, when it came to the Absurd kidnapping charges. The deliberations felt nasty in there at times...I felt personally attacked several times. Sticking it out paid off when we were unanimous ...finally, in a not guilty those charges.

Those of you that have stated your anger with the jury, please understand it from our perspectives and from what knowledge we were given. I am very unhappy, saddened and "recovering" from this travesty. My heart goes out to all those who know an love David Cohen. I for one, am not his enemy at all. I wish I could have done more for him.....

I can only now have some hope that David's brilliant attorney, Mr. Egbert, will be able to e exonerate him at some point in the near future. I also hope that David's sentencing in as minimal as allowed by law. In my opinion, he's been punished MORE than enough. He certainly does NOT belong in jail!
fellow officer

Randolph, MA

#18 Aug 1, 2007
For the record, Brian Sexton contacted David Cohen to "clear his conscience". Any other witness that David contacted who may have purportedly been a "grand jury" witness is not a fact that David could have known because grand jury proceedings are supposed to be "secret" procedings.

I feel saddened that the jury never got to hear the truth. I am sure that Mr. Egbert's repeated attempts to bring the fact out that Tim Hill (or Hills) sold stocks and securities without a class 5 SEC license and that his ability to ever sell stocks or securitites was forever sanctioned by the securities exchange commission was heard by the jury despite the fact that the jurors were insturcted to disregard the questions. Hills, as he stood there and testilied to the jury was the subject of two outstanding arrest warrants from the state of Texas. Are you ready for the earth shattering shocker here? The warants were for none other than LARCENY as the jury was aware of. What the jury did not know is that the Massachusetts State Police could have arrested and detained Tim Hill (or Hills) and held him pending rendition a hearing to the state of Texas. I wonder why that did not happen.

The jury never got to hear that Lt Blount was himself the subject of a grand jury investigation into his own actions up to and around the time of this investigation. Officer Owens was prohibited by the judge from exposing the truth and that is that he said "I am not a rat" in the context of the investigation into Lt Blount. He said this as a preface to the answer of a question that was asked of him by a State Police investigator.

The jury never got to hear that Sgt Welch
was a mere pawn in this ordeal; he was used like a $2 whore by his participation in this investigation because of his ties to the DAs office. If this were a legitimate investigation, the DA would never in a million years have used an employee with a vested interest in the outcome of this case. They should have never used anyone wwith ties to the Stoughton Police Department. This is why we have State Police Investigators. This is why we have an Attorney General's office.
Let's face it; if the DA were to get canned, Sgt Welch, his wife (an assistant DA), his father (the admistrator of the grand jury office), his sister a clerk in the DAs office and probably the rest of his family would have been looking for work in the morning.

The jury never got to hear that it was lawful and proper for Sgt Cohen to request or demand re-payment of a debt or inform the suspect that he may face criminal prosecution. The Judge did not want the jury to know that. The Judge did not want the jury to know that if a police officer arrests a person; procedurally, the officer may not un-arest that person; only a clerk, bail commissioner or magistrate of the court (except in certain and specific cases like OUI where a person is below the legal limit) may release a person who has been arrested. The jury did not get to know that information because that would have been the truth and that would have helped David Cohen.

You never ever see a police corruption case where the defendants get the support of at least a dozen police officers, friends and family each day. You never, never, never see that. But as the court saw, you had that each day during the trial. Those of us who sat there to support David sat there because we know him. We know that he is a clean cop. We would not have sat there for five weeks if he were not. Those of us who know him know that he would not hang his job and his future out there to make a bad arrest. This is because none of it was bad. The contorted version of the truth according to George Jabour made David Cohen look like a bully and a thug.

I will take it to my grave that David Cohen is a clean cop who did his job. The day the jury returned a verdict of guilty was the darkest day in the careers of many Stoughton Police Officers
fellow officer

Randolph, MA

#19 Aug 1, 2007
P.S "Your honor, tell him to stop pickin on me."
wrong person convicted 4

Hartland, VT

#20 Aug 1, 2007
Im not here to slam you I want to know how this jury ever got to agree on these convictions. "the contact" as you worded off limits for Sexton and Kelly. I believe Mr. Cohen contacted both of these witness's before the grand jury indicted him. So how is that tampering with a witness if the witness had not been subpoena yet? please tell me with the jury thought about the hidden evidence in blount's spare bedroom? You call that a fair trial.. Juror 451 must be a 18 year old kid that doesn't like cops. i bet he doesn't know what jay-walking is. Never mind he is dictating the future of a well respected and educated police officer and lawyer. Juror 451 should wake up and smell the coffee.
One of the twelve- you said you believe David is innocent but felt "personaly attacked" during the deliberations. Yet with your vote this innocent man could have walked free. But now his career is over because of people who didn't stand their beliefs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 138
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

East Walpole Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: iLoveKickboxing - Norwood, MA (Jul '16) May 10 spow90 33
Norwood Honor Society Presents Kids' Birthday B... Apr '18 JeanBHall 1
News Baskin-Robbins Announces Expansion In Toronto, ... Mar '18 had a shop there 1
News Owner told Stoughton police: I want my dog back! (Oct '09) Feb '18 RobSucks 213
Review: Huggard & Ewing (Dec '08) Jan '18 AAA 16
Eleventh Birthday Jan '18 Ulfhednar 1
Niko Kampouris Nov '17 Curious Girl 1

East Walpole Jobs

Personal Finance

East Walpole Mortgages