Lowville school project gets extras

May 14, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Watertown Daily Times

Thanks to lower-than=expected bids, Lowville Academy and Central School District officials have included several alternatives - including lighting for the new artificial turf field and tennis courts - in their $32.8 million capital project.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of33
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
ODB

Clinton, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2009

So rather than giving a money back to the tax payers, the board decided to add more bells and whistles to the project? What makes these new additions essential now, and not when the proposals were first voted on?

Since: Jan 09

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2009

I agree, and it makes you wonder what was actually in the plans that people didn't know about that are being added or changed. Sure would like to see the money put into education and not athletics.
ODB

Clinton, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2009

$336,000 would keep them from eliminating an elementary teacher position or it could pay for a lot of copy paper.
ODB

Clinton, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2009

It'd also a nice little reduction in taxes.
Zoo Do Nim

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2009

It makes me physically sick. That's all I can say now.
Been There

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2009

Just think! After the war, there are bound to be tax cuts.......... Oh wait, they have been pushing that one on us since the Cival War. You cannot actually think that once these people have your money in hand, that they would consider ways to get it back into yours. I am still all for the field, and everything that goes into the surrounding infrastructure. Politics Baby!
Zoo Do Nim

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2009

Politics, you bet! MAYBE the voters will remember the stink after having their noses rubbed in it!
ha ha

Ithaca, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2009

I heard that the after school program (sacc) was being cut? Hope it is not true considering the way they spent this surprise money.
Crazy

Lansing, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2009

ha ha wrote:
I heard that the after school program (sacc) was being cut? Hope it is not true considering the way they spent this surprise money.
Oh, i hope that it doesn't get cut. I know a lot of poeple that go to that after school, and it helps a lot.
ODB

Clinton, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2009

I think I'm only going to send them 90% of my tax money this year. The lights are reported to cost over $300k, and that's roughly 10% of our local tax levy in the proposed budget.

“Where's my Nice Lady?”

Since: May 09

Castle Rock, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2009

Did any of you actually read the story? It says had there NOT of been this "extra" money from the low bids, they were going to install the lights (and everything else) eventually. That's not to say I don't agree that the extra money COULD go toward "a teacher or color copier", but they were going to do it anyway. Might as well face facts and not get bent out of shape about it. The only thing that gets me a little upset is: bye bye old gym. So many memories! What a shame, loved that place so much.

R.I.P.
Old Gym

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2009

I have not seen this years budget, but got a notice in the mail today that the vote for this years school budget is on Tuesday May 19th. Why didn't they save this money for the coming budget that is going up more than this past years budget. I hope they vote it down, and how is the state doing all this funding but cutting the star program. I just don't understand politics, but my dad sure did and if he could change it he would. I too will miss the old gym and when I'm visiting the school, I still stop and take a peek in the little window to see what's going on. I already miss the glass block walls. I jsut can't believe that the way the economy is that the school would continue such an extensive remodel instead of maybe holding back some of the money until the economy picks up.

“Where's my Nice Lady?”

Since: May 09

Castle Rock, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2009

nice lady wrote:
I have not seen this years budget, but got a notice in the mail today that the vote for this years school budget is on Tuesday May 19th. Why didn't they save this money for the coming budget that is going up more than this past years budget. I hope they vote it down, and how is the state doing all this funding but cutting the star program. I just don't understand politics, but my dad sure did and if he could change it he would. I too will miss the old gym and when I'm visiting the school, I still stop and take a peek in the little window to see what's going on. I already miss the glass block walls. I jsut can't believe that the way the economy is that the school would continue such an extensive remodel instead of maybe holding back some of the money until the economy picks up.
Ooooooh man, the glass-block walls. Those were the coolest things way back when.
Been There

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2009

Sitting in front of them as a senior was a goal! LOL. Those were awesome.
Zoo Do Nim

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2009

Yeah, I remember now. There was a ledge in front of them. Class was always cooler in the old gym, sort of like a wine cellar. We were the artsy kids; sometimes ate our lunch down there on the bleachers. Glad to hear it's being converted to a studio.

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2009

I wonder if they are still there and just painted over. The wall looks like it still sets back unless they replaced it with cinder blocks. I can remember sitting on the ledge waiting for BOCES buses many days. And Coach Walter OConnell used to substitute for gym or recess down in the old gym. He was quite old then, but a wonderful guy. Many memories of that old gym and just hanging out on the old bleachers during lunch. And then our kids practiced wrestling in that gym when they were in school. Oh so many memories and they will be gone soon. We'll have to go into school before the end of June and revisit the old gym one last time. Been many years.
Zoo Do Nim

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2009

nice lady wrote:
I wonder if they are still there and just painted over. The wall looks like it still sets back unless they replaced it with cinder blocks. I can remember sitting on the ledge waiting for BOCES buses many days. And Coach Walter OConnell used to substitute for gym or recess down in the old gym. He was quite old then, but a wonderful guy. Many memories of that old gym and just hanging out on the old bleachers during lunch. And then our kids practiced wrestling in that gym when they were in school. Oh so many memories and they will be gone soon. We'll have to go into school before the end of June and revisit the old gym one last time. Been many years.
Au contraire dear lady. Memories are never gone till we are. Mr. Sherneck, Mrs. Carter, and yes "Connie" are gone now but the memories of them live on, as will the layouts and experiences separate to each class and student. I remember Mr. and Mrs. Williams. They were the only black people I knew till I left Lowville. Mrs. Williams, as the school nurse, with her starched blouses and cool hands that calmed my fevered brow was a great comfort to me. Is there still a dental hygenist office in school, I wonder?

Hazard, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2009

Zoo Do Nim wrote:
<quoted text>Au contraire dear lady. Memories are never gone till we are. Mr. Sherneck, Mrs. Carter, and yes "Connie" are gone now but the memories of them live on, as will the layouts and experiences separate to each class and student. I remember Mr. and Mrs. Williams. They were the only black people I knew till I left Lowville. Mrs. Williams, as the school nurse, with her starched blouses and cool hands that calmed my fevered brow was a great comfort to me. Is there still a dental hygenist office in school, I wonder?
I don't believe so. Mr and Mrs W were before my time, so your aging yourself Zoo. The last school nurse I can remember back to was Mrs Swartzman, Bernard's wife, he was a fun teacher. I don't remember Mrs Carter either but I remember Miss Zehr really well and see her occasionally. Then I don't think she has forgot any kid from elementary. All you have to do is say who you are and she remembers. Then she will start listing your siblings. She is quite spry for her age. So many wonderful memories.
itwas 1979

Watertown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2009

nice lady wrote:
<quoted text>I don't believe so. Mr and Mrs W were before my time, so your aging yourself Zoo. The last school nurse I can remember back to was Mrs Swartzman, Bernard's wife, he was a fun teacher. I don't remember Mrs Carter either but I remember Miss Zehr really well and see her occasionally. Then I don't think she has forgot any kid from elementary. All you have to do is say who you are and she remembers. Then she will start listing your siblings. She is quite spry for her age. So many wonderful memories.
OMG yes, Miss Zehr. She DOES remember everyone!! I met up with her at the hospital one day when both of us were there having x-rays (or something) and SHE REMEMBERED ME!!! Let me tell you, at nearly 50 I DO NOT look anything like I did in kindergarten! lol
lowville

Watertown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2009

nice lady wrote:
<quoted text>I don't believe so. Mr and Mrs W were before my time, so your aging yourself Zoo. The last school nurse I can remember back to was Mrs Swartzman, Bernard's wife, he was a fun teacher. I don't remember Mrs Carter either but I remember Miss Zehr really well and see her occasionally. Then I don't think she has forgot any kid from elementary. All you have to do is say who you are and she remembers. Then she will start listing your siblings. She is quite spry for her age. So many wonderful memories.
Wasn't Mrs. Swartzman the dental hygenist back then? Maybe I am mistaken but was thinking that but you have taken me down memory lane too, lol. Had Mr. Swartzman for typing class too. How time passes!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of33
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
East Syracuse Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

East Syracuse Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••