Next Last
james

United States

#1 Dec 3, 2012
Thoughts of river closure
Uh Huh

Alton, IL

#2 Dec 3, 2012
I know Illinois American Water is concerned.
james

United States

#3 Dec 3, 2012
We all need to be concerned if the river shuts the barg traffic stop then it will have to rail and prices if everything sky rockets 8000 jobs are lost bad news

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#4 Dec 3, 2012
Could someone briefly explain what's going on w/ the river please?
mahz

Trenton, IL

#5 Dec 3, 2012
shlisten wrote:
seriously?
Uh Huh

Alton, IL

#6 Dec 3, 2012
shlisten wrote:
It's too low for barge traffic so like James said commerce will have to be moved by train.
The river levels are almost at record lows, like 6 1/2 feet below norm so the water company has to go through congress to have water released from upstream since the water plant can't function without water.
Meaning you can't go to your tap for water without congress intervening, bathe, flush, laundry etc

Location hidden

#7 Dec 3, 2012
I've moved from Granite Shitty recently and have been too busy to be "in the know."

Location hidden

#8 Dec 3, 2012
Uh Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
It's too low for barge traffic so like James said commerce will have to be moved by train.
The river levels are almost at record lows, like 6 1/2 feet below norm so the water company has to go through congress to have water released from upstream since the water plant can't function without water.
Meaning you can't go to your tap for water without congress intervening, bathe, flush, laundry etc
Ok. Thank you. Does not sound good.
Uh Huh

Alton, IL

#9 Dec 3, 2012
It isn't just a Granite City problem.
james

United States

#10 Dec 4, 2012
It's a nation wide crisis everyone do a rain dance
1958 granite lady

Collinsville, IL

#11 Dec 4, 2012
shlisten wrote:
It can mean more of a disaster to already hurting economy, here and in the states that would lose their water levels , giving this area water. Yes, it could also put us on severe water rationing.
Bubba

Ash Flat, AR

#12 Dec 4, 2012
Same thing happening down here in inbred country. The water company is using portable pumps because the water level is too low for the permanant pumps. Last year the area was flooded. Crazy weather!!!

Location hidden

#13 Dec 4, 2012
@Bubba and 1958 granite lady---Thx for the info. Didn't realize how bad the situation is. I def need to take the time to read/watch the news. As James mentioned, everybody s/b doing a rain dance. lol.
mahz

Trenton, IL

#14 Dec 4, 2012
shlisten wrote:
@Bubba and 1958 granite lady---Thx for the info. Didn't realize how bad the situation is. I def need to take the time to read/watch the news. As James mentioned, everybody s/b doing a rain dance. lol.
This one is from a couple months back. The barge hit an unarmored section of a pylon that directs ships into the lock and it crushed it, spilling the rocks inside the pylon and shutting down canal traffic for a couple weeks. The reason it hit an unarmored section of pylon is that the canal was about 15 feet lower than normal and the unarmored section that should have been under water was at the level the barges were traveling. Water levels have continued to get worse since.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story...
james

United States

#15 Dec 4, 2012
I've been working on the river for about 2 years and the water has dropped over 30 feet and has not went up muh if any.
Uh Huh

Alton, IL

#16 Dec 5, 2012
Heck, James if you have a few years experience then head north. Seems to be barge work on the Great Lakes all most all the time till the real deep freeze hits.

“AccountKiller”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#17 Dec 5, 2012
damn

Granite City, IL

#18 Dec 29, 2012
Well if the river closes down I won't loose my job the coast guard won't let the tugs leave the fleets

Location hidden

#19 Dec 29, 2012
MRay wrote:
http://news.discovery.com/eart h/mississippi-river-runs-dry-1 21126.html
Thanks MRay. Interesting article.

Location hidden

#20 Dec 29, 2012
damn wrote:
Well if the river closes down I won't loose my job the coast guard won't let the tugs leave the fleets
If you can't leave what do you do? Get paid for doing nothing? Just curious.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

East St. Louis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What's going into pizza place 33 min Curious 1
jennifer wood 1 hr Old Lady 11
king louie 1 hr so you believe 39
Jennifer Seago 1 hr chapj 7
Lannelle Hendon. Aka nelly 1 hr who 8
brandie horner 2 hr brandie 5
good woman of gc 2 hr chapj 18
More from around the web

East St. Louis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE