Headlines from Fred Bathon's career

Headlines from Fred Bathon's career

There are 16 comments on the Belleville News Democrat story from Feb 5, 2013, titled Headlines from Fred Bathon's career. In it, Belleville News Democrat reports that:

Before becoming treasurer, he was the county auditor for 10 years, and before that he was the chief deputy auditor for seven years.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Belleville News Democrat.

victim

Saint Louis, MO

#1 Feb 6, 2013
Its certain if they did not have the money at the time the taxes was due, they did not have time for the inflated tax buyer. Do we know if people lost their homes due to this greed?
Anonymous

Fairfax, VA

#2 Feb 9, 2013
I'm glad to see that our crooked elected officials will not receive their government pensions. These politicians are not above the law!
Uh Huh

Edwardsville, IL

#3 Feb 9, 2013
What was the point of this article? Did he pass away? It's just a random comment type article about him and his kids. No real point to it.
cop

Chesapeake, OH

#4 Feb 9, 2013
Uh Huh wrote:
What was the point of this article? Did he pass away? It's just a random comment type article about him and his kids. No real point to it.
No he just got sentenced for some type of scam or fraud for inflating interest rates on back taxes
Uh Huh

Edwardsville, IL

#5 Feb 9, 2013
Oh, I didn't see that little detail. Thanks.
turtle

United States

#6 Feb 11, 2013
I'm sure some lost their homes. I was effected and was able to buy mine back. He should have to pay for all this mess. I just want the extra money back I had to pay. Had I of lost my home which was/is paid for I would want to be paid for the fair market value plus some. It put me through hardship when I was already struggling. And the buyer of my taxes wouldn't accept payments. Taxes went from around 1,800.00 to almost 8000.00 in a few months. All the fees they add on plus now find out inflated interest too!! I want this money back plus interest/NOW! They don't wait when you owe them!
victim

Saint Louis, MO

#7 Feb 12, 2013
I agree with anyone who was out the money should be compensated. I know mine were purchased by a tax holder who was so harsh and made us sweat for a long time, then agreed to payment arrangements. I would like to know what is being done to the buyers? Are they looking at their books and seeing if they also inflated the charges? I know they charged one crazy fee to bring the papers to the house. I want to say 500.00 to knock on my door and hand me a paper?? WTH
That doesnt count for the sleepless nights worried I could'nt not make arrangments or afford to even pay it if I did. Here is a real question for you all, Do you think anyone who is struggling to pay their property taxes can really afford all the added extras?
Corruption has been an issue in Madison Co for years, goes back to the same "Good ole Boys" running our Co. The big question is when the hell are we going to get rid of all of them, and find people that really do work for the dam working class.
I was one of the lucky ones, what about the ones who were not? Who will be their voice? If they could not afford their taxes do you really think they can afford an attorney and they are crooked too.
turtle

United States

#8 Feb 12, 2013
Two statistics I would like to know is (1) how many lost their home because of this?(2) How many of the homes were paid for?
It was alot of sleepless nights for me. I had paid cash for my house. Then got disabled on my job. So I had exhausted all work benefits and had applied for my social security disability. That took two to three years.
I've always heard you have three years to buy them back, but I'm gonna say not so. The company bought mine and so many fees added on every three months.
And last but not least when I contact this company they can barely speak english. Won't accept payments, but got somebody at my home measuring lot and house and taking pictures. I didn't know if one day I would be gone to come home to find they had padlocked my doors.
Needless to say I wasen't taking this well. The stress of it only added to my medical problems.
Got rearended in a auto accident and got a settle from her insurance and that is how I saved my house. I'm sure they would of loved getting a $90,000.00 home for around $8000.00.
Cat

Ballwin, MO

#9 Dec 7, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
I'm glad to see that our crooked elected officials will not receive their government pensions. These politicians are not above the law!
What about the $360,000 in pension benefits this piece of garbage was already paid?!!! Make him pay it back!!! If not, then the judge is just as guilty as he is in fleecing the public he was elected to serve. They're ALL cut from the same cloth.
Brian

Glen Carbon, IL

#10 Dec 9, 2013
I guess Bathon will be able to keep his house on Marcos Island in Florida for when he gets out
You can bet he could be elected again too because he is a democrat and in Granite City democrats rule the roost no matter how corrupt
Brian

Glen Carbon, IL

#14 Dec 10, 2013
Laughing at the morons that dont even realize they are in Madison County.
All they know is onelection day they are driven to the polls, pull the D key and get their 5 bucks and food stamps
Granite is not a "labor" community...its just a dump of unemployed welfare parasites
just me

Saint Louis, MO

#15 Dec 10, 2013
No moron, it's not that I didn't realize I'm in Madison County, it's that Bathon was not a Granite City official. meaning people from Alton, Edwardsville and other place in MadCo voted for him too. Meaning he was your representative as much as mine.

Granite city is the center of employment for So IL. There are 10s of thousands of jobs here. You're an idiot if you think otherwise. Steel Mill, Prarie Farms, Kraft, Osborn-Hessey, all the warehouses at 270 and 111. Yeah, we have our share of welfare, but no more than where you live sweetheart.
Leroy

Saint Louis, MO

#17 Dec 10, 2013
just me wrote:
No moron, it's not that I didn't realize I'm in Madison County, it's that Bathon was not a Granite City official. meaning people from Alton, Edwardsville and other place in MadCo voted for him too. Meaning he was your representative as much as mine.
Granite city is the center of employment for So IL. There are 10s of thousands of jobs here. You're an idiot if you think otherwise. Steel Mill, Prarie Farms, Kraft, Osborn-Hessey, all the warehouses at 270 and 111. Yeah, we have our share of welfare, but no more than where you live sweetheart.
Dude there is roughly 2200 employees at Granite City steel and less than that at the other companies you mentioned. There are a few thousand jobs but far from "10s of thousands" LOL! Granite is a shit hole that's why I took my degree and got the hell out!
once again

Granite City, IL

#18 Dec 10, 2013
U r being such a A@@. If u hate GC so much why do u care to post so much on things to do with it? Makes me wonder if u were once from here and were such a jerk that know one liked u. Please tell me why u have so much hate for GC. All towns have bad and good people so shame on u for bashing the whole town. I feel sorry for u to have so much hate.
Brian

Glen Carbon, IL

#19 Dec 10, 2013
Madison County democrats can count on the usual votes fom the usual Ganite deadheads
They deserved to lose their homes
They voted for it
LOL
Brian

Glen Carbon, IL

#20 Dec 10, 2013
Check this stupid post

Granite city is the center of employment for So IL

LOL Granite is the welfare center of southern Illinois

LOL Granite...a pefect example of why jobs have been run away

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

East St. Louis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Name a Bob Marley song 3 min Crundel Bjorn 3
Maribeth 33 min She a Nasty Hoe 1
Church's Fire 53 min Not worth it 26
Whats her deal 2 hr not really 2
firesticks for sale 3 hr OLD 2
*Keep a word - - Drop a word* (Aug '10) 4 hr Princess Hey 3,341
Funny!! Word association game. (Oct '15) 4 hr Princess Hey 378

East St. Louis Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance