Last nights meeting at ROCCO's

Last nights meeting at ROCCO's

Posted in the East Rockaway Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Happy Face

Westbury, NY

#1 Apr 23, 2010
Can some tell me what went on at the meeting last night..Was it positive or negative..
Happy Face

Westbury, NY

#2 Apr 23, 2010
hola
Confused

Freehold, NJ

#3 Apr 23, 2010
very crowded. lots of anger at proposal even before presentation was complete.
concerns seem to be: taxes (which have nothing to do with this proposal); traffic (very very valid); impact on school district (even though the apts. are small, there will still be children also if people sell their houses and downsize, they will likely sell to families with kids); the UNKNOWN: its still a vague proposal .. the Village can only change the code and then see what developers present. The Village Board will have approval for the plans, but the concerns of "section 8" housing wasn't clearly answered, in my opinion. Transient families are a big drain on resourses, maybe more han low income housing. Also not all of the properties are vacant, so relly, what happens to the current tenants?
I left at 10 PM. DOn't know what happened after that. Anyone???
Rock Resident

Hempstead, NY

#4 Apr 23, 2010
Very negative at Roccos last night. The village is changing the code and wants secion 8 houses added and approved 50 more section 8 houses in East Rockaway.
A big concern was all the illegal small basement appartments in East Rockaway and the safety concern with the local vol Fire dept.
Next was Schools and impact with less fund and less budget. Our schools are bad enough and the possibilty of 4 teachers leaving and not replacing them. Class sizes will be much bigger next year guaranteed.
Disgusted

Brooklyn, NY

#5 Apr 23, 2010
Ok so what makes me so skeptical. They have been planning this for almost 2 years...... BUT a decision has to be made by June?????
There was a lot of answers to questions being statements like "not likely" "tends not to happen" VERY VAGUE with NO GUARENTEES!!!! I would really like to see someone who is all for this with the exception of the puppet show that was on the panel of "EXPERTS" .....
Happy Face

Westbury, NY

#6 Apr 23, 2010
Thank You everyone for your feed back...I hope to attend next time
Rock Resident

Hempstead, NY

#7 Apr 24, 2010
The schools in East Rockaway "The Rock" have been sub par for years now. Test scores have been low and regents graduates from High School have in in the 80% thats the bottom lower level in New York State.
With larger class sizes projected for next year and 4 teachers leaving the district we are in even bigger trouble in East Rockaway.

Now 50 more section 8 houses have been approved and possible 50 more in the fall. The Rock is falling fast!

All my neighbors have illegal apartments on my block Carmen Road the road is filled with cars. Can we do something about this?
Disgusted

Brooklyn, NY

#8 Apr 25, 2010
Rock resident,
did you get this information at the meeting at roccos? Althought I am NOT IN FAVOR of the re zoning, I was there and did not hear any of that. "The village is changing the code and wants secion 8 houses added and approved 50 more section 8 houses in East Rockaway" They never said anything about sec 8 and were very vauge in their answers when sec 8 was brought up. I also never heard anything about the schools loosing teachers. Actually was shocked that the superintendient of the ERSD was there and didnt say a word. PLease let me know where you heard this information. thank you
PS where is Carmen ROAD in ER? I only know of Carmen Avenue??
wow

New York, NY

#9 May 16, 2010
disguted:why were you shocked that the Supt didnt say a word? it wasnt a school board meeting. she was there as a guest...on her own time...ps no one ever said the retiring teachers wouldnt be replaced. get facts before you speak
disgusted

Brooklyn, NY

#10 May 16, 2010
WOW I never said anything about the teachers. I am trying to get the facts Hence my comment asking where Rock resident got their info. but all the information is very slanted. As for the supt being there I did not understant why she was there as a guest as you say, sitting on a panel. I was there as a guest on my own time and was sitting in the group like the majority. Please dont be so jumpy I am just trying to get info or the "TRUTH" like all other residents.

Since: Dec 09

Englewood, CO

#11 May 17, 2010
Rock Resident wrote:
All my neighbors have illegal apartments on my block Carmen Road the road is filled with cars. Can we do something about this?
If you want to do something write to the Town of Hempstead, it is their responsibility to do something about this. Houses with multiple power meters, etc are a sure sign. Get to your councilman Anthony Santino.
disgusted

Brooklyn, NY

#12 May 17, 2010
TNNS1: The town is WELL AWARE as is the Councilman since he was at the meeting (as a citizen and not on the panel as was the supertindent of schools)he stood in the back of the room and listened. There is not much that the TOH can do in Village matters except give advise and guidance. If the administration is not taking it there is not much more to do.

Since: Dec 09

Atlantic City, NJ

#13 May 17, 2010
disgusted wrote:
TNNS1: The town is WELL AWARE as is the Councilman since he was at the meeting (as a citizen and not on the panel as was the supertindent of schools)he stood in the back of the room and listened. There is not much that the TOH can do in Village matters except give advise and guidance. If the administration is not taking it there is not much more to do.
I was speaking to the issue of illegal apartments, any resident can file a complaint although I understand there is a sizeable backlog. The village can also elevate this to the TOH but there needs to be some details relative to the illegal housing. The TOH created a task force over 10 years ago to address the issue.

Illegal apartments are one of the many reasons our taxes are so high. Town of Hempstead needs to do the job thay are paid for. Information below:

The Town of Hempstead Department of Buildings responsible for the enforcement of the Building Zone Ordinance and portions of the Town Code. If a resident believes that a business, land owner, proprietor, or homeowner is not in compliance with the codes and ordinances of the Town of Hempstead, they can request a code enforcement officer to review the situation. Requests for code enforcement officers should be made in writing to:

Town of Hempstead Building Department
One Washington Street
Hempstead, New York 11550.

If the incident warrants, code enforcement officers may issue court appearance tickets.

Since: Dec 09

Atlantic City, NJ

#14 May 17, 2010
Disgusted wrote:
Ok so what makes me so skeptical. They have been planning this for almost 2 years...... BUT a decision has to be made by June?????
There was a lot of answers to questions being statements like "not likely" "tends not to happen" VERY VAGUE with NO GUARENTEES!!!! I would really like to see someone who is all for this with the exception of the puppet show that was on the panel of "EXPERTS" .....
By the way the firm they used at the hearing, Saccardi & Schiff has been used on other projects by the Town and has handed out approximately $40,000 in political donations (both parties)in the past 5 years. Needless to say I don't trust them and certainly don't understand this just coming out now when they were aware several months ago. I saw a copy of the planning document by accident back in December but it really doesn't have any details.
Mr Mohammad

Hempstead, NY

#15 May 17, 2010
I still cannot believe all the section 8 hud houses were approved and the teacher cuts and school aid cuts in East Rockaway

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#16 Jun 2, 2010
TNNS1 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you want to do something write to the Town of Hempstead, it is their responsibility to do something about this. Houses with multiple power meters, etc are a sure sign. Get to your councilman Anthony Santino.
Houses with multiple utility boxes are LEGAL apartments not illegal. If there is a box the tenant is paying $$ to LIPA - hence - the apt is zoned. Most illegal apts do not pay untilities and the landlords incorporate the additional cost of the utilities into the rent as the electric etc is from the main utility box - usually the landlords.

Since: Dec 09

Englewood, CO

#17 Jun 2, 2010
An American Rose wrote:
<quoted text>
Houses with multiple utility boxes are LEGAL apartments not illegal. If there is a box the tenant is paying $$ to LIPA - hence - the apt is zoned. Most illegal apts do not pay untilities and the landlords incorporate the additional cost of the utilities into the rent as the electric etc is from the main utility box - usually the landlords.
They are not legal unless they are mother daughter types. Creating apartments in residential areas is not legal unless approved.

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#18 Jun 2, 2010
TNNS1 wrote:
<quoted text>
They are not legal unless they are mother daughter types. Creating apartments in residential areas is not legal unless approved.
IF the meters are there - they were put in by LIPA and the apartments are considered to be legal. To assume that if there is more than one meter that the paartment is illegal is incorrect. I worked as a real estate agent and a researcher in commercial real estate as well. If a house was built as a mother daughter and the apratment is not occupied by family then you are right - it is illegally OCCUPIED but NOT an illegal apartment. Many apartment in the rock are legal apratmetns and not mother daughters though. So each one would have to be reviewed individually and not assumed to be occupied illegally.

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#19 Jun 2, 2010
notice I have some problem typing in genreal but especailly the word APARTMENT? LOL

Since: Dec 09

Oceanside, NY

#20 Jun 2, 2010
Disgusted wrote:
Rock resident,
did you get this information at the meeting at roccos? Althought I am NOT IN FAVOR of the re zoning, I was there and did not hear any of that. "The village is changing the code and wants secion 8 houses added and approved 50 more section 8 houses in East Rockaway" They never said anything about sec 8 and were very vauge in their answers when sec 8 was brought up. I also never heard anything about the schools loosing teachers. Actually was shocked that the superintendient of the ERSD was there and didnt say a word. PLease let me know where you heard this information. thank you
PS where is Carmen ROAD in ER? I only know of Carmen Avenue??
Anyone know what the story is on the new parking lot going in on Williamson St and the other vacant buildings near the fishery?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

East Rockaway Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: iLoveKickboxing - Franklin Square (Jun '15) Fri rachel 62
Review: Floral Park Dental Care - Michael Lang DDS (Sep '09) Thu Fran 39
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Bayside (Dec '13) Oct 18 Katie H 68
Queens Village Music Thread (May '12) Oct 17 Musikologist 22
News Queens pervert busted again (Jul '08) Oct 15 the man 2
Election time is close by Aug '17 Coco4u 1
News Marion County suspect dies during jail booking (Sep '06) Mar '17 DB Drive 95

East Rockaway Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

East Rockaway Mortgages