Man sentenced up to 90 years in priso...

Man sentenced up to 90 years in prison for 40 home break-ins

There are 42 comments on the WHEC-TV Rochester, NY story from Aug 31, 2009, titled Man sentenced up to 90 years in prison for 40 home break-ins. In it, WHEC-TV Rochester, NY reports that:

He terrorized local neighborhoods by breaking into 40 homes in the city, Brighton and East Rochester and today Judge Richard Keenan ruled that Jesse James Barnes was a persistent violent offender and sentenced him to up to 90 years in prison.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHEC-TV Rochester, NY.

Snoman

Waterloo, NY

#21 Sep 1, 2009
The sentence was a bit strong. I would have given him 75 years, with a one day reduction(per year) for good behavior. Heck, he could have gotten out in 74 years and 9 1/2 months!
Country

Geneva, NY

#22 Sep 1, 2009
thank you Honorable Judge Richard Keenan
Straight Shooter

Fairport, NY

#23 Sep 1, 2009
Sorry Jesses James, it's not the Wild West anymore.
But then again, if it was he would've been lynched a long time ago by a vigilante mob.
Sue In Wayne County

Williamson, NY

#24 Sep 1, 2009
Fairport Loser wrote:
<where does the "persistent" part come in??
40 home break-ins, that seems pretty persistent to me.
Ignatz Wombat

Rochester, NY

#25 Sep 1, 2009
Fairport Loser wrote:
"""Jesse James Barnes was a persistent violent offender"""
Burglary of homes with no-one home is a "violent offense"???
It wasn't burglary of homes with no one home.

It was home invasions. Where people were at home when the Tyrone broke into the houses.

Besides, it was violent for the house.
Ignatz Wombat

Rochester, NY

#26 Sep 1, 2009
Gods Property wrote:
That is a ridiculous sentence. He was certainly no Bernie Madoff. I bet most of those charges were fabricated.
Yeah, right. The charges were fabricated by the homes he broke into.

And the items that he stole from others.
foo foo

Virginia Beach, VA

#27 Sep 1, 2009
Just Me- where the hell did you go to school?
THEROCKSUCK

Webster, NY

#28 Sep 1, 2009
Upstate New York is full of self hating rednecks.
Ignatz Wombat

Webster, NY

#29 Sep 1, 2009
THEROCKSUCK wrote:
Upstate New York is full of self hating rednecks.
And God bless America!

Yeehawg!

I'll take a red neck over a coon any day.

Self-hating and red neck are contradictory terms.

Mutually exclusive, if you will.

Down state New York is full of hobo-sexuals and Jews.
Mapquest_it

Albion, NY

#30 Sep 1, 2009
THEROCKSUCK wrote:
Upstate New York is full of self hating rednecks.
My map shows fairport in upstate New York as well.
victim

United States

#31 Sep 1, 2009
He burglarized our home. I was at the trial and this guy has a criminal record a mile long since he was juvenile--there is no break in his 25yr criminal history. He IS a danger to society and I have to say ... it's a scary thing to have, what is supposed to be your safe, home broken into. He also had numerous stolen weapons at his home when he was apprehended. He admitted to doing theses crimes. He knows no other way to live his life. You really want this guy on the loose?

Gods Property wrote:
That is a ridiculous sentence. He was certainly no Bernie Madoff. I bet most of those charges were fabricated.
Pink Panther

Rochester, NY

#32 Sep 1, 2009
victim wrote:
He burglarized our home. I was at the trial and this guy has a criminal record a mile long since he was juvenile--there is no break in his 25yr criminal history. He IS a danger to society and I have to say ... it's a scary thing to have, what is supposed to be your safe, home broken into. He also had numerous stolen weapons at his home when he was apprehended. He admitted to doing theses crimes. He knows no other way to live his life. You really want this guy on the loose?
<quoted text>
He should NOT have got 90 years just because he broke into houses. Did he ever hurt anyone??? I think he must have hurt people and the media just isn't telling us about it. I know he was in that high speed chase that put lives in danger and that should have got him an extra 3 or 4 years to the burglary, but NOT 90!!

Most rapists or child molesters don't even do jail time and if they do its like 1 to 3 years.
Most murders get out like in 10 to 20 years.
In Rochester you can shoot a cop in the head and get out in 3 years.
And your telling me that because you didn't have a security alarm system, he should get 90 YEARS??

Serious

Albion, NY

#33 Sep 1, 2009
Pink Panther wrote:
<quoted text>
He should NOT have got 90 years just because he broke into houses. Did he ever hurt anyone??? I think he must have hurt people and the media just isn't telling us about it. I know he was in that high speed chase that put lives in danger and that should have got him an extra 3 or 4 years to the burglary, but NOT 90!!
Most rapists or child molesters don't even do jail time and if they do its like 1 to 3 years.
Most murders get out like in 10 to 20 years.
In Rochester you can shoot a cop in the head and get out in 3 years.
And your telling me that because you didn't have a security alarm system, he should get 90 YEARS??
Moron, you must have missed my earlier post. Mr. Barnes did 8 years in prison from 1997 until 2005. He had a 4-8 year sentence, however, he did the whole 8 years because of bad behavior. He was released and arrested again not even 1 year later. Mr. Barnes at that point was in prison for another 3 years. This animal is a career criminal. You can compare cases and justify the situation any way you like. Nevertheless, he is where he enjoys being (obviously), and deserves to be.
Pink Panther

Rochester, NY

#34 Sep 1, 2009
Serious wrote:
<quoted text>
Moron, you must have missed my earlier post. Mr. Barnes did 8 years in prison from 1997 until 2005. He had a 4-8 year sentence, however, he did the whole 8 years because of bad behavior. He was released and arrested again not even 1 year later. Mr. Barnes at that point was in prison for another 3 years. This animal is a career criminal. You can compare cases and justify the situation any way you like. Nevertheless, he is where he enjoys being (obviously), and deserves to be.
It makes NO difference. He did the crime and did his time. I don't care if he was in jail 10 times before, no-one should get 90 years for a home burglary.
down for the count

United States

#35 Sep 2, 2009
Just me wrote:
90 years?come on now that extreme.I seen where murderers get lighter sentces than that.A tv,dvd player is alot less valueble than someone's life.
They are mad that he was out in the suburbs doing them dirty and they couldn't catch him so it time to give him a little ruff justice.Sad
he tried to run down a police lieutenant - he has a masssive arrest history - he needs to be behind bars forever.
down for the count

United States

#36 Sep 2, 2009
Pink Panther wrote:
<quoted text>
He should NOT have got 90 years just because he broke into houses. Did he ever hurt anyone??? I think he must have hurt people and the media just isn't telling us about it. I know he was in that high speed chase that put lives in danger and that should have got him an extra 3 or 4 years to the burglary, but NOT 90!!
Most rapists or child molesters don't even do jail time and if they do its like 1 to 3 years.
Most murders get out like in 10 to 20 years.
In Rochester you can shoot a cop in the head and get out in 3 years.
And your telling me that because you didn't have a security alarm system, he should get 90 YEARS??
he is a persistent VIOLENT felon - that means this is is third VIOLENT crime that he was CONVICTED of. He tried to run down a police lieutentant during his attempted escape - he has a history of violence abd was given THREE CHANCES....90 years is perfectly fair and just...i am sure if he tried to kill you or someone in your family you would think differently....
TheLaw

Albion, NY

#37 Sep 2, 2009
Pink Panther wrote:
<quoted text>
It makes NO difference. He did the crime and did his time. I don't care if he was in jail 10 times before, no-one should get 90 years for a home burglary.
Yes, it DOES make a difference. That is why there is a persistent felony law! This was created for animals like Mr. Barnes, who continue to commit crimes, violent felony ones in his case. You should educate yourself regarding NY law.
Country

Geneva, NY

#38 Sep 2, 2009
Hey Jesse, you aint dead yet?
The Messenger

Rochester, NY

#39 Feb 6, 2014
Just reading this....have to say "Wendel" you really should keep this mans parents out of it. His name has nothing to do with his actions you idiot!! What future do you have named "Wendel"?? Looser!

ps: may his mother R.I.P.
An all day sucker

Macedon, NY

#40 Feb 6, 2014

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

East Rochester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Are Liberal Democrats Getting So Nervous Ab... 51 min Vito FukmeinDeass 47
Make America Strong and Safe Again! 53 min Penfield Cracker 62
Agitators 4 hr Ha Ha 62
rochester christian church ministries is a cult... (Oct '07) 8 hr just joe 97
Wease picks his fights (Jul '15) 10 hr slammer is an IDIOT 631
Major Assult Weapons Bust in Henrietta 10 hr Bruce TransJenner 19
Hillary: the most corrupt politician ever!!! 11 hr Just Sayin 17
More from around the web

Personal Finance

East Rochester Mortgages