Wrong time to raise our taxes

Wrong time to raise our taxes

There are 13 comments on the Berkshire Eagle story from Apr 28, 2009, titled Wrong time to raise our taxes. In it, Berkshire Eagle reports that:

I am the owner of a small but trying-to-grow gas station. I have found this state and the current elected officials to be about the least business-friendly I have ever encountered.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Berkshire Eagle.

“Everything is local”

Since: Apr 08

Great Barrington, MA

#1 Apr 28, 2009
One solution is to vote anyone who voted for any tax increases out of office in 2010. Supporting Mihos for governor would also be a plus.
Religion Kills

United States

#2 Apr 28, 2009
I agree...raising taxes without dealing with the bloated government, cutting lots of jobs and programs, is wrong.

I know someone applying for grant money from the state for a business venture...good that we have this money, the issue is 7 agencies are giving it out....that is 7 managers, 7 reviewers, the chance for 7 grants instead of one...it is totally wastful.

No new taxes until the cut the government in half! And start with taxing churches.
Arlos Peter

Falls Church, VA

#3 Apr 28, 2009
Boy Larry, did you make a wrong turn!
You had a choice and you set up to do business in Massachusetts?
Time to close up shop while you still can at a profit and move to a pro-business state.
As long as MA remains a one-party state controlled by Democrats, there is very little upside to doing business here.
Plan on a new state sales tax of at least 8-12%, and a fuel tax increase of as much as 15-25 cents.
Jim

Williamstown, MA

#4 Apr 29, 2009
Arlos Peter wrote:
Boy Larry, did you make a wrong turn!
You had a choice and you set up to do business in Massachusetts?
Time to close up shop while you still can at a profit and move to a pro-business state.
As long as MA remains a one-party state controlled by Democrats, there is very little upside to doing business here.
Plan on a new state sales tax of at least 8-12%, and a fuel tax increase of as much as 15-25 cents.
I wouldn't count on that much of an increase. And Larry, don't listen to people like "Arlos Peter".
Tell your customers to vote against any new taxes and call or write your representatives. Be pro active and positive and avoid negative people that only want to see doom because their party is falling apart.
HellerCarbonCapN TradeLLC

Falls Church, VA

#5 Apr 29, 2009
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't count on that much of an increase. And Larry, don't listen to people like "Arlos Peter".
Tell your customers to vote against any new taxes and call or write your representatives. Be pro active and positive and avoid negative people that only want to see doom because their party is falling apart.
'Jim', why is there no talk amongst Democrats in the Legislature of LOWERING the sales tax?
Why no recognition that there is a serious recession and businesses are hurting badly?
Why no serious attempts to cut state spending?
For example, why doesn't the Mass. Legislature provide an example by taking a pay cut of 50% for the duration of the recession?
It's not Republicans who are pushing for the higher taxes.
Jim

Williamstown, MA

#6 Apr 30, 2009
HellerCarbonCapNTradeLLC wrote:
<quoted text>
'Jim', why is there no talk amongst Democrats in the Legislature of LOWERING the sales tax?
Why no recognition that there is a serious recession and businesses are hurting badly?
Why no serious attempts to cut state spending?
For example, why doesn't the Mass. Legislature provide an example by taking a pay cut of 50% for the duration of the recession?
It's not Republicans who are pushing for the higher taxes.
It's Republicans that put us where we are and now thanks to them we have no viable alternatives other than raising taxes. And, we need more than just "examples". The problem with the Republicans is that they don't have answers so they talk big and do nothing. La la la here we are today trying to clean up a big mess. I trust that we will get out of this slump and I hope that the American people will keep a good memory of what the "do nothing" party did to get us here.
Dave

Houston, TX

#7 Apr 30, 2009
Larry, Good afternoon. There is never a wrong time in Massachusetts to raise taxes. The state legislature thinks that is why they were put on this earth. A day will come when hardworking people like you will finally throw in the towel. The state will go bankrupt and if there is a democrat in the White House he'll try to merge Massachusetts with Vermont. But, there will be a hefty "merger tax" to pay.

Falls Church, VA

#8 Apr 30, 2009
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
... we have no viable alternatives other than raising taxes.
Are you serious?
You actually believe this?
You mean to say there is NO waste in Massachusetts state government?
You mean to say that Mass. government could not get by with fewer state employees and that salaries, benefits and pensions paid those employees should not be cut dramatically?

“Everything is local”

Since: Apr 08

Great Barrington, MA

#9 Apr 30, 2009
There is plenty to cut in MA. Take the Department of Education, the braintrust behind MCAS, The RMV could be cut 75%, we live in the computer age and AAA can handle license and registration renewals, Merge the the highway departments, make every department cut 10% from their budgets, eliminate state cars and form a simple carpool, and let them check out vehicles as needed.

And make the state legislature part-time with part-time pay. States that have full-time legislatures have more corruption and get less done.
Jim

Williamstown, MA

#10 Apr 30, 2009
pat the painter wrote:
There is plenty to cut in MA. Take the Department of Education, the braintrust behind MCAS, The RMV could be cut 75%, we live in the computer age and AAA can handle license and registration renewals, Merge the the highway departments, make every department cut 10% from their budgets, eliminate state cars and form a simple carpool, and let them check out vehicles as needed.
And make the state legislature part-time with part-time pay. States that have full-time legislatures have more corruption and get less done.
Sure, and we'll take all but one little paint brush away from you the next time you paint a house.
It will certainly keep you busy but $ won't be coming in from any other jobs. Smart idea.

Falls Church, VA

#11 Apr 30, 2009
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, and we'll take all but one little paint brush away from you the next time you paint a house.
It will certainly keep you busy but $ won't be coming in from any other jobs. Smart idea.
How do you equate taking paint brushes from a lone painter with the stealing every year of literally billions of taxpayer dollars through fraud, waste, and abuse of the system?
Get real!
Jim

Williamstown, MA

#12 May 1, 2009
HellerCarbonCapNTradeLLC wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you equate taking paint brushes from a lone painter with the stealing every year of literally billions of taxpayer dollars through fraud, waste, and abuse of the system?
Get real!
Sorry, I guess the analogy was too complex for your mind to grasp.

Falls Church, VA

#13 May 1, 2009
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, I guess the analogy was too complex for your mind to grasp.
Yeah, I guess.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

East Otis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News SJC grants new trial to homeless man in trespas... 11 hr DCF CPS DSS are ... 1
News Coast Guard: Body recovered from Gulf sailboat ... 22 hr Think About It 2
News Plethora of pollen blamed on erratic weather pa... Jun 22 Buzz Lightyear 3
News Pittsfield Police Log for Friday, Jan. 15 to Su... May 25 cops are degenerates 15
News Massachusetts pipeline opponents vow to stay ac... May '16 Kim 1
News AG seeks to slash Unitil rate increase (Jan '08) Apr '16 Jeffrey Irvine 3
News Brief power outages leave thousands in the dark (Jan '08) Apr '16 Jeff Irvine 802 7
More from around the web

Personal Finance

East Otis Mortgages