Report to grade LI school district merger plan

Full story: Newsday

Balancing quality versus cost is always a touchy subject for school districts - East Moriches, especially.
Comments
1 - 17 of 17 Comments Last updated Jan 19, 2008
Realist

New York, NY

#1 Jan 14, 2008
Merger of ALL the school districts on Long Island is long overdue.
The amount of money spent here per pupil is crazy compared to the rest of the country and has nothing to do with success. It's all about teacher/administrator salaries and benefits.
The Island is doomed if we cannot get control of the school districts.
zoey

New Hyde Park, NY

#2 Jan 14, 2008
Realist wrote:
Merger of ALL the school districts on Long Island is long overdue.
The amount of money spent here per pupil is crazy compared to the rest of the country and has nothing to do with success. It's all about teacher/administrator salaries and benefits.
The Island is doomed if we cannot get control of the school districts.
i'm in total agreement with you. long island school taxes are a joke, especially for those of us with no children, and no plans to have children. the salaries, pensions & benefits are out of control. teachers make more $ than many private sector employees (such as myself) and they don't have to pay for even part of their benefits - and they get a pension? go work a real job, with no pension, less pay, no summers off and pay into your benefits, then start complaining.
Jeff

Oakdale, NY

#3 Jan 14, 2008
What happens when Center Moriches cant handle the new incoming student population?....They will have to add on to what they have and taxes go up anyway...It is a terrible idea...WHB far outshines Center Moriches. Any EMO resident with half a brain will vote against this merger. All EMO residents should want the option of WHB, it will be better for the resale value of their homes!!!! Plus the curriculum of WHB is far better than Center Moriches. DO NOT TRY TO FIX WHAT IS NOT BROKEN!!!
Jeff

Oakdale, NY

#4 Jan 14, 2008
zoey wrote:
<quoted text>
i'm in total agreement with you. long island school taxes are a joke, especially for those of us with no children, and no plans to have children. the salaries, pensions & benefits are out of control. teachers make more $ than many private sector employees (such as myself) and they don't have to pay for even part of their benefits - and they get a pension? go work a real job, with no pension, less pay, no summers off and pay into your benefits, then start complaining.
Sounds like somebody is a little bitter about the choice they made in life!!
Realist

New York, NY

#5 Jan 14, 2008
I think he makes a VALID point. School districts on Long Island are completely out of control. They are killing us with outragous taxes to fund unheard of salaries and benefits packages for teachers/administrators. Wake up!
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like somebody is a little bitter about the choice they made in life!!
zoey

New Hyde Park, NY

#6 Jan 14, 2008
Jeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like somebody is a little bitter about the choice they made in life!!
not at all... i'm quite happy. i'm just tired of hearing everyone complain, rather than just be happy they have food in their stomachs and roofs over their heads. everyone wants, wants, wants.. no one stops to think what it will cost or what sacrifices may have to be made. I wouldn't necessarily combine schools physically, but i'm sure they could consolidate office services, admin & other areas...
Victoria in ESM District

AOL

#7 Jan 14, 2008
Consolidation certainly helped ESM. Eastport HS was too small to offer a range of AP classes before merging with South Manor, and school taxes did stabilize in the district. WHB can afford to offer many AP classes precisely because of the tuition coming in from EM students. There are no guarantees (are there ever?), but it's very likely that CM given an influx of students (and corresponding tax dollars) into the high school will be able to offer more AP classes. I wonder if the WHB program would be hurt by the loss of at least 100 students, which may put CM and WHB on more even footing. Also, the CM high school building is large enough to handle both districts already - the additions are only a few years old. Jeff in Selden, are you aware that CM added on to the school building?
Pete

Brooklyn, NY

#8 Jan 14, 2008
You can bet this plan will get a negative report if the teacher's union has anything to say about it. When are the people going to realize that these unions are picking our pockets?
zoey

New Hyde Park, NY

#9 Jan 14, 2008
Pete wrote:
You can bet this plan will get a negative report if the teacher's union has anything to say about it. When are the people going to realize that these unions are picking our pockets?
All unions are pocket pickers.. look what's happening with Amtrak and the potential strike looming? I take the LIRR to work everyday. These unions are nothing but trouble to the public.
DOUG

Dacula, GA

#10 Jan 14, 2008
Merge Wyandanch into deer Park, North & West Babylon.
DOUG

Dacula, GA

#11 Jan 14, 2008
N. Bab., W. Bab. Deer Park, an Wyandanch = 4 principals, superintendents, too many teachers, and crappy old dilapitaded schools
watchdog

Bay Shore, NY

#12 Jan 16, 2008
Jeff wrote:
What happens when Center Moriches cant handle the new incoming student population?....They will have to add on to what they have and taxes go up anyway...It is a terrible idea...WHB far outshines Center Moriches. Any EMO resident with half a brain will vote against this merger. All EMO residents should want the option of WHB, it will be better for the resale value of their homes!!!! Plus the curriculum of WHB is far better than Center Moriches. DO NOT TRY TO FIX WHAT IS NOT BROKEN!!!
Hey Jeff, Drive through EMO and see how many houses are for sale. Too many to count. If you want you resale value to diminish. Keep WHB, fail your budget again, wipe out your K-8 program, and watch your taxes skyrocket. The fact is it is broken and there needs to be a way to fix it.
Had Enough Yet

Bronx, NY

#13 Jan 16, 2008
All districts must be unified in both Nassau and Suffolk Counties.One county-one superintendent. Joel Klein is in charge of a district of 1.2M students. It's known as the NYC Bd. of Ed. His salary-$250K. That's small potatoes on Long Island. Levittown's super "earns" over $380K with salary and benefit package. Levittown! Steve Levy is one of the few politicians alive with the stones to state publically that this must end! I agree. And I'm a life-long Republican. God willing, he's our next gov. and only then will Long Island have a chance. Otherwise, it will become a ghost town. School board members with their spouses working for the district? And then these same board members negotiate teacher's contracts? Every school board on Long Island practices this insanity. I've checked. Have any of you ever considered this? It has to stop!
Catholic Coverup

Washington, DC

#14 Jan 16, 2008
It makes perfect sense so count on it not happening. Think of the savings on just the "business"side of educating our children. Companies do it all the time, it is called efficiencies. It would also level the playing field as it relates to the quality and equality of teacher pay. Funny how no one has mentioned race but the pink elephant in the living room is that the predominately hispanic/black districts are also the poorest in resources and quality of teacher. I believe there is a bit of Not in My Back Yard racism.
Catholic Coverup

Huntington, NY

#15 Jan 18, 2008
Let's see the Merrick and Roosevelt school districts merge. It will give the liberal demoncrates of Merrick an opportunity to put their money where there mouths are.
NorthShoreMom

Hawthorne, NJ

#16 Jan 19, 2008
Keep it real wrote:
Let's see the Merrick and Roosevelt school districts merge. It will give the liberal demoncrates of Merrick an opportunity to put their money where there mouths are.
Hehehehe! Oh yeah, that will happen!
Get It Straight

Islip Terrace, NY

#17 Jan 19, 2008
Had Enough Yet wrote:
All districts must be unified in both Nassau and Suffolk Counties.One county-one superintendent. Joel Klein is in charge of a district of 1.2M students. It's known as the NYC Bd. of Ed. His salary-$250K. That's small potatoes on Long Island. Levittown's super "earns" over $380K with salary and benefit package. Levittown! Steve Levy is one of the few politicians alive with the stones to state publically that this must end! I agree. And I'm a life-long Republican. God willing, he's our next gov. and only then will Long Island have a chance. Otherwise, it will become a ghost town. School board members with their spouses working for the district? And then these same board members negotiate teacher's contracts? Every school board on Long Island practices this insanity. I've checked. Have any of you ever considered this? It has to stop!
Big difference between city school system and the rest of the state!
I can certainly see merging of smaller districts, but not into one big county district. You lose all semblance of local control and just try to get some administrator centered in another town to pay attention to your complaints! It's impossible- a family member down south has run into that problem. They don't answer to the individual.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

East Moriches Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dans Horse dead farm (Aug '13) 3 hr Badtothebone 108
Biondi's Failed Audit 8 hr hoo doo you think... 5
bruce and maura are useless 16 hr Incompetence 69
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Fri Lol 16,781
Crier by Bruce Thu Incompetence 6
Brady is silent on MBV Audit Thu hoodo 15
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) Wed Vote Zornow 6,408
•••

East Moriches News Video

•••
•••

East Moriches Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

East Moriches People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

East Moriches News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in East Moriches
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••