Brookhaven, Suffolk preserve 30-acre ...

Brookhaven, Suffolk preserve 30-acre E. Moriches farm

There are 24 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 14, 2008, titled Brookhaven, Suffolk preserve 30-acre E. Moriches farm. In it, Newsday reports that:

A 30.7-acre track of meadow and wetlands in East Moriches has been turned into an open space preserve, Brookhaven Town and Suffolk County officials announced Monday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
lake county cop

AOL

#1 Jan 14, 2008
good land like this should have preserved along time ago
wow

South Salem, NY

#2 Jan 14, 2008
They should make this a county owned A.T.V. park. With trails for Mntn. Biking and A.T.V. use. Would be a large income maker for the county/town and a great way to keep the land green.
Fotoguy

White Plains, NY

#3 Jan 14, 2008
Excellent decision
The Decider

Newark, NJ

#4 Jan 14, 2008
Kudos to Brookhaven and Suffolk. Now all that you have to do is to get on a bicycle or put on your hiking shoes and walk through the wilderness that is left on LI, smell the air, see the green, see the wildlife thats left and buy and preserve it.
Dump Mazzei.
Wake Up!
DWW

Brooklyn, NY

#5 Jan 14, 2008
wow wrote:
They should make this a county owned A.T.V. park. With trails for Mntn. Biking and A.T.V. use. Would be a large income maker for the county/town and a great way to keep the land green.
I think the key word here is: PRESERVE.
wow

South Salem, NY

#6 Jan 14, 2008
I think we have plenty of preserves and parks that you are not allowed to do anything on. Most of the parks and preserves are completely empty 75% of the year. Lets make something for the humans that dos not involve a parking lot and a cash register. Get out in the woods and have some fun.
DWW wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the key word here is: PRESERVE.
What

Bronx, NY

#7 Jan 14, 2008
more land off the tax roles that nobody will be allowe dto set foot on legally ever again. great.
Home Builder

Coram, NY

#8 Jan 14, 2008
I own a very large Home Builders company on Long Island. I want to tell you all that while preserving land sounds nice and all your taxes will go up because there will be more people regardless and no more paying into the system. What is needed is more homes or corporate shopping locations to compensate. The inevitable will happen and homes and shopping centers will be built if not by me then someone else. It's not just the money for me but my childrens future and I have to be honest when I say that I would pave over every tree and every blade of grass on long island tomorrow if I could. Wake up Long Islanders.
tired

Smithtown, NY

#11 Jan 15, 2008
Home Builder wrote:
I own a very large Home Builders company on Long Island. I want to tell you all that while preserving land sounds nice and all your taxes will go up because there will be more people regardless and no more paying into the system. What is needed is more homes or corporate shopping locations to compensate. The inevitable will happen and homes and shopping centers will be built if not by me then someone else. It's not just the money for me but my childrens future and I have to be honest when I say that I would pave over every tree and every blade of grass on long island tomorrow if I could. Wake up Long Islanders.
There are two diffrent issues - high taxes and overdevelopment. The trouble is we have an antiquated governmental system on Long Island that has got to change. THe other problem is that we need more job development on Long Island. More bussiness less residential and retail. That is the direction we need to go.
Thristy

Bronx, NY

#12 Jan 15, 2008
Great place for a Drag Strip!
open space supporter

Deer Park, NY

#13 Jan 15, 2008
Great job by the town and county!
open space supporter

Deer Park, NY

#14 Jan 15, 2008
What wrote:
more land off the tax roles that nobody will be allowe dto set foot on legally ever again. great.
wrong my friend. people will be able to use the property as they do now. as far as land off the tax roles - do a little research and you'll find that the tiny amount of taxes lost as a result of protecting it is much better to the community than the huge gap between the property taxes the twenty homes would have paid and the costly services they would have created, mostly in form of educating their kids. Who makes up the gap? All the residents in that school district! Residential development doesn't pay its own way and that is why in densely developed areas of Long Island where little land has been "taken off the tax roles" property taxes are still so high. If you care about rising property taxes open space protection is your best buy!!!!!
You are all diseased

Ramsey, NJ

#15 Jan 15, 2008
Gee Whiz, yet another land purchase to buffer the "upscale" from the rest of us. I notice the county never preserves land in the less desirable neighborhoods.

Your tax dollars hard at work. Building a better life for those who already have a better life.

Time to exercise your second amendment rights and take the government back. Time to eat the rich!
FAST MONEY

Daytona Beach, FL

#17 Jan 15, 2008
wow wrote:
how many lawsuits will there be on opening day get a life.
Why

Chesterfield, MO

#18 Jan 15, 2008
No quite sure that Foley understands that people are have a hard time paying for oil in their tanks, gas, food and still live a life and that's with both parents working full time. Maybe he can find money to help out the middle-class residence in the Brookhaven township. A free oil delivery would be nice. (just hopeful wishing for the new year)
Wrong

Port Washington, NY

#19 Jan 15, 2008
What wrote:
You're wrong. You can go out enjoy any county or state land. Do a little simple research. Whats stopping you? Oh, right, youre too busy watching television and hitting the malls. Oh well, lucky for you there is PLENTY of that here on LI for you.
Goofball

Port Washington, NY

#20 Jan 15, 2008
You are all diseased wrote:
Gee Whiz, yet another land purchase to buffer the "upscale" from the rest of us. I notice the county never preserves land in the less desirable neighborhoods.
Your tax dollars hard at work. Building a better life for those who already have a better life.
Time to exercise your second amendment rights and take the government back. Time to eat the rich!
The "less disirable" areas usually dont have any open space left!(hint hint) Besides, it depends on what you may consider "less desirable". There are certainly middle and working class areas that have open space left, mostly on Eastern Long Island of course.
A monster goofball

Port Washington, NY

#21 Jan 15, 2008
Home Builder wrote:
Haha, wow, you are a classic case of the ignorant goofball with no true foresight. More development means more services needed equals more and higher taxes. Vacant land generates very very little tax as it is. Building homes boosts taxes up even higher as more kids pile into the school system and more sanitation and service is needed. YOU wake up! Move your building company to New Jersey if you want to "pave over every tree and blade of grass". GOOFBALL!
ricky

United States

#22 Jan 15, 2008
You people scare me. With all the condos,'senior housing', malls , big box stores, etc., etc., etc., did your taxes ever go down. That's right, just keep on building on every available piece of land until it looks like Manhattan. Nit-wit.
What wrote:
ricky

United States

#23 Jan 15, 2008
That's great - you can tell your kids (while you sit in traffic on a sixteen lane highway) that you built that twenty story building on Montauk Point.
Home Builder wrote:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

East Moriches Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
mastic village being dissolved 10 hr Hahahahaha 58
Child Sex Dolls Prevents Pedos from having Sex ... Mon Badtothebone 5
Poll Honest Frank for Mayor &/or Dissolve the Mastic... (Oct '13) Sun Bruce 91
85-356 Prohibited use (Front Yard) (Sep '10) Sun Shirley EDWARDS 62
MBPOA holds first MBV AUCTION Sat ABC 2
piece of shitt SPERY May 21 Faayad 34
mbv opens transgender bathroom May 21 hoo doo you think... 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

East Moriches Mortgages