Mother of son killed by drunken drive...

Mother of son killed by drunken driver wants memorial cross back

There are 20 comments on the WQAD story from Feb 24, 2010, titled Mother of son killed by drunken driver wants memorial cross back. In it, WQAD reports that:

The mother of a 21-year old killed by a drunk driver wants to know who took a two foot cross from his makeshift memorial and why.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WQAD.

Vicki

Rockford, IL

#1 Feb 24, 2010
I'm sorry but I have to take the unpopular side of this story and say it should have been taken down and stay down. Memorials belong in a cemetary, not at the spot where a tragedy occurs. These makeshift memorials along our roads, streets and highways should not be allowed to remain forever. A few days or weeks should be enough. If you need a memorial, plant a tree with a nice plaque in his favorite park.

My condolences to the family. Let him live in your heart instead of returning to the spot where the tragedy occured.
meee

Iowa City, IA

#2 Feb 24, 2010
ur a dumbass @$$ its where those ppl died because of an accident of corse there should be something there.its a reminder.ppl like u just urgh!
krisha

Iowa City, IA

#3 Feb 24, 2010
I think it’s appalling for Chris minor to tell that woman whose cross got stolen from east Moline “don’t u think it’s time to get over it”? I’ve seen other news cast where Chris doesn’t think before she speaks, she needs to learn a little tact. This poor woman and her family are grieving over the loss of her son, as a mother I would not and could not just “get over it”. Shame on you Chris minor for having no heart, haven’t you ever lost someone you love?…I’m done with this news channel!! who ever stole that cross, you need to return it, and the woman complaining about the cross being up, GET OVER IT!GET A LIFE! my hearts go out to this family..i am really sorry. im also shocked that the drunk driver only get 8years and only serving half of it, where is our justice system, thats considered murder in my book.
IllinoisPam

Iowa City, IA

#4 Feb 24, 2010
They have the right to memorialize him however, if everyone placed a memorial on every corner where someone was fatally injured, it may create a safety hazard. Why not memorialize him by sponsoring a bench on the river to remember him by?
Tina in LeClaire

Newburgh, NY

#5 Feb 24, 2010
It is sad someone would remove this memorial which means so much to Joe's family. I certainly hope whoever it is returns it to the family. Even just leaving it anonymously at the Police station would be OK.
Fossil

Sterling, IL

#6 Feb 24, 2010
You see these memorials all over the place and it does cause you to wonder about how a family's life must have changed in an instant at that exact location. As a retired fire officer, I occasionally ferried out of town family members to the place where a loved one was killed. It is a very personal thing and they feel compelled to see it. It was always a very moving experience and I was honored to do it. As for the length of time one should remain, I think as the grieving process moves from one stage to another, there is a reasonable time frame within which to remove it.
another grieving mom

Monmouth, IL

#7 Feb 24, 2010
what is wrong with people? Losing one of our children in a horrible way (mine also in a head-on collision) is unbelievably painful..to take something that has so much meaning to this family is unforgivable..we also have a cross and other special things at the site of my son's crash..no one has ever bothered it..my heart goes out to this Mother and her family..
another grieving mom

Monmouth, IL

#8 Feb 24, 2010
Vicki wrote:
I'm sorry but I have to take the unpopular side of this story and say it should have been taken down and stay down. Memorials belong in a cemetary, not at the spot where a tragedy occurs. These makeshift memorials along our roads, streets and highways should not be allowed to remain forever. A few days or weeks should be enough. If you need a memorial, plant a tree with a nice plaque in his favorite park.
My condolences to the family. Let him live in your heart instead of returning to the spot where the tragedy occured.
Hmmm?? And are YOU a grieving parent? If not..you cannot imagine the pain that follows..hope you never have to walk this path..a small cross and some flowers does help in the healing after a horrible tragedy..be alittle more compassionate because you never know when YOU may get that knock on the door..
Justine

Indianapolis, IN

#9 Feb 24, 2010
MAY JOE VELOZ AND JOHN HUSTON REST IN PEACE.. PLEASE RETURN THAT CROSS, THAT IS A COLD HEARTED THING TO DO.
Shocked

Bettendorf, IA

#10 Feb 25, 2010
Place of death memorials are VERY important to the Mexican people, its a time honored tradition and it serves as a reminder to the living that death can come upon us at any time. Shame on Vicky and Chris Minor for their comments. One should learn the meaning of the memorial and what it means to the Latino community before they insult it.
Heather

Dallas, TX

#11 Feb 25, 2010
I dont know the family personally, but I've seen the cross there everyday because my kids go to school there. I want the cross put back there too!! NO ONE has the right to even touch it, let alone remove it!!
Mac

Davenport, IA

#12 Feb 25, 2010
I agree with shocked, while some of you recommend a bench or a plaque memorial,you have not thought of the cultural differences in our communities. It is not the way a Hispanic family honors their deceased.(please google day of the dead).
We all have people we love and if this tragedy happened to any one of us and a small wooden cross helped with the pain, leave it up. Is it really that big of a deal? They will know when it is time to remove it, who are we to tell them when their grieving should stop. My heart goes out to the family.
Stephanie Savala Akers

Rock Island, IL

#13 Feb 25, 2010
That is pretty low down if this woman that was calling and complaining took that cross! There had to be someone watching or witness it. Any witnesses need to come forward and say what they saw. How sad that she would remove a cross with such a strong attachment to it. She had to know why it was there, it has the same significance of any memorial you see in this area. We all know someone's family member has been killed there! To the lady that took it, you need to return it to the same spot you took it from and may God have mercy on your soul when it's your turn to go!!!
Concerned Quad Citian

Davenport, IA

#14 Feb 25, 2010
How can someone complain about a cross that bears the name of someone who has passed away? It is a memorial to him, his family and a terrible tragedy. To the person who took this cross... You should be ashamed of yourself!
Monmouth Girl

Monmouth, IL

#15 Feb 25, 2010
Wow.. all of you with negative comments about the crosses "distracting" drivers or it being time to move on? Sorry- maybe you've lost a child, sibling or parent but the pain NEVER goes away.. especially when someone dies in a sudden way like a car accident. My brother died in a head on collision in 2004 and to this day the cross at the sight of his accident remains. It is a reminder to anyone passing by that a beloved life was lost at that spot.

And EVEN IF you have a STUPID negative opinion abou the cross being there- how can you honestly condone someone STEALING it. That is terribly rude. Just goes to show how heartless people are these days! Hope you never lose someone close to you and someone steals a memorial you have set up for them. It's called karma.
Monmouth Girl

Monmouth, IL

#16 Feb 25, 2010
Maybe you've NEVER lost someone***
Proper Place

Iowa City, IA

#17 Feb 25, 2010
Was the "makeshift cross" on private or public property? Maybe it was not a legal or appropriate place for it? A cross is a christian symbol, can we erect other religious symbols too? How big? After 2 years, it may be time for it to come down. Perhaps another place would be a better memorial. A road distraction could take another life.
I do sympathize with the family as my father was killed on hwy 67. I think that a guardrail, crosswalk, signal light or stop sign can be the best memorial to prevent another tragic loss of life from happening. Peace.
Proper Place

Iowa City, IA

#19 Feb 25, 2010
Was the "makeshift cross" on private or public property? Maybe it was not a legal or appropriate place for it? A cross is a christian symbol, can we erect other religious symbols too? How big? After 2 years, it may be time for it to come down. Perhaps another place would be a better memorial.
I do sympathize with the family as my father was killed on hwy 67. I think that a guardrail, crosswalk, signal light or stop sign can be the best memorial to prevent another tragic loss of life from happening.
IllinoisPam

Iowa City, IA

#20 Feb 26, 2010
Who knows if the lady who called and complained about the cross took it. It could've been anyone, maybe a student attending one of the schools nearby. I wish the family peace and I hope the cross is returned.
tina

Coralville, IA

#21 Mar 3, 2010
another grieving mom wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm?? And are YOU a grieving parent? If not..you cannot imagine the pain that follows..hope you never have to walk this path..a small cross and some flowers does help in the healing after a horrible tragedy..be alittle more compassionate because you never know when YOU may get that knock on the door..
NO I am not a grieving mother but my heart goes out deeply to families who are and I feel that families should absolutely put up these memorials in remberence to their lost love one. THIS ALSO SENDS A MESSEGE THAT THIS COULD HAPPEN TO ANYONE,ANYWHERE,ANYTIME. Godbless the grieving family and friends.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

East Moline Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Rash of teen suicides in Princeton, Illinois (Apr '10) Thu sav 186
News Why Suzanne Somers loves bioidentical hormones (Jun '09) May 12 MerrySM 86
Local Politics Do you approve of Colleen Gillaspie as County A... May 9 Monte 1
pain May 6 newbie 1
big titty librarian May 4 em boy 2
News New 8 On Your Side tool is online fix for your ... (Jun '10) Apr '15 lacey_2015 10
News Man convicted of stalking Kingston woman (Sep '14) Mar '15 c cox 2
More from around the web

East Moline People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]