Earthquake felt hundreds of miles away in Quad Cities

Feb 10, 2010 Read more: WQAD 9
The epicenter of Wednesday morning's earthquake may have been over a 100 miles away from the Quad Cities, but some people in the area say they felt the earth move. Read more
CJn

Center Junction, IA

#1 Feb 10, 2010
I also was on my computer here in Clinton. Felt what I thought was house shake some and my room window rattled. It sounded like someone was wrapping at it. Scared me for a sec and then i just sort of figured it was wind or a truck.
danny mask

Kirkwood, IL

#2 Feb 11, 2010
hey yea i felt it and i wuz on tv! yay!
danny mask

Kirkwood, IL

#3 Feb 11, 2010
haha im in skewl rite now! lol
worst earthquake ever

Union City, TN

#4 Feb 15, 2010
Many do not know of a major eq fault. It is called The New Madrid Earthquake zone. There is a lake now that was filled in when the Mississippi River ran backwards. The quakes lasted over a period of 2 mts. They say the land rose and fell like waves on the ocean. There are sand blows on nearby land now. You can see it on satellite maps. It is way over due for a major one again. That one could not be measured as they did not have the Richter scale then. Has been estimated to a 9 something I think. You are always always hearing about the west coast. Do some research. This is a totally different kind of subduction zone. This eq recently may have been from this one or others that are off shoots of New Madrid. I happen to live right on top of the activity now. We feel shakes every now and then but nothing was reported from this one.
worst earthquake ever

Union City, TN

#5 Feb 15, 2010
I lived in the Quad Cities for over 30 yrs. Still trying to get back. Sure miss it. It is a wonderful place. Been here over 3 yrs and I'm so so homesick.
worst earthquake ever

Union City, TN

#6 Feb 15, 2010
New Madrid Earthquake. Do some research on this one. Lasted over a period of 2 mts. The ground heaved like waves on the water. Whole forrests (cypress) were opened up and there are sand blows too. It caused the land to break apart and the Mississippi River flowed backwards for 3 days to fill the hole that is now Reelfoot Lake. It is 14 m long and 5 m wide.(Great fishing there.)
Mr. Cook did you mean New Madrid?
It is way overdue for another major one. Big cities like Memphis, St. Louis, and I think even as far as the QC would have major damage. The one then shook windows and rang church bells in Boston Mass. It is very interesting. Read up on it and you can see the sand blows from satellite images.
worst earthquake ever

Union City, TN

#7 Feb 15, 2010
OOPS sorry.
worst earthquake ever

Union City, TN

#8 Feb 15, 2010
I posted some pics. Look in Photos section.

Since: Jan 10

Iowa City, IA

#9 Feb 22, 2010
Ooops! Sorry folks , that wasnt an earthquake . it was "All you can eat " bean burrito night at carlos o kelly's and boy do i feel better after letting that one go . My bad.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

East Moline Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
big titty librarian Fri horny dude 1
News New 8 On Your Side tool is online fix for your ... (Jun '10) Apr 6 lacey_2015 10
News Man convicted of stalking Kingston woman (Sep '14) Mar 26 c cox 2
News First black hospital in Chicago is focus of Bla... (Jan '10) Mar '15 1111111111111111utj 224
News Dead body found on DeKalb's far east side (Sep '09) Mar '15 michaels sistser 33
News Rauner: Make government work for people again Mar '15 Corrupt Union Bosses 2
Tires Plus - STAY AWAY from these lying cons! (Sep '10) Mar '15 cathi 17
More from around the web

East Moline People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]