Report urges cap for lead at Island T...

Report urges cap for lead at Island Trees school

There are 59 comments on the Newsday story from Mar 22, 2009, titled Report urges cap for lead at Island Trees school. In it, Newsday reports that:

The new environmental consultant for Island Trees schools recommends the district encapsulate, with concrete and reinforced plastic, 800 tons of soil in the high school's basement that could be contaminated with lead.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Dennis Duffy

Ronkonkoma, NY

#1 Mar 23, 2009
I have seen an entire basement have it's soil removed by use of a vacuume truck. The soil can be loaded into a sealed container and transported without any exposure to anyone.There would be no dust if this is a major consern.
ISLANDERS FAN

Bronx, NY

#2 Mar 23, 2009
500,000 for a concrete job?
Go away!
How Come

Bronx, NY

#3 Mar 23, 2009
Dennis Duffy wrote:
I have seen an entire basement have it's soil removed by use of a vacuume truck. The soil can be loaded into a sealed container and transported without any exposure to anyone.There would be no dust if this is a major consern.
How come it's still there?
Mike

Sunnyvale, CA

#4 Mar 23, 2009
Island Trees needs to make this go away permanently. The sooner the better.

Otherwise, it will keep popping up in the news every month, reminding everybody why they should move. Would you send your kid to a school if you thought there was a significant health threat?
Dotsie Murphy

AOL

#5 Mar 23, 2009
My concern is for the teachers and students - the district should offer free lead testing for all students and faculty that were in the school since the initial realization of contamination in 1999.
Especially the art teachers that have been in the basement teaching all day breathing in the dust.
Is it Clean

Bronx, NY

#6 Mar 23, 2009
Dotsie Murphy wrote:
My concern is for the teachers and students - the district should offer free lead testing for all students and faculty that were in the school since the initial realization of contamination in 1999.
Especially the art teachers that have been in the basement teaching all day breathing in the dust.
The state said it was the cleanest school on Long island. What happened?
Tod C

Deer Park, NY

#7 Mar 23, 2009
For thoes of You that stand up at the mettings and tell every one how safe it is try selling Your house You morons
Next Meeting

Bronx, NY

#8 Mar 23, 2009
Tod C wrote:
For thoes of You that stand up at the mettings and tell every one how safe it is try selling Your house You morons

School Board Meeting
Wednesday March 25, 2009 @ 8PM
Gallow School 74 Farmedge Road

Box Seats

AOL

#9 Mar 23, 2009
Island Trees taxpayers do your home work.

$$$$$$$$$$

Are the consultants independent?

Are they in the clean up business too?

Is the clean up going out to bid?

***Hint*** Has the BOE filed disclosure papers on the relationship with the vendor?

**Hint** Do the consultants serve on any school boards?
We know

Deer Park, NY

#10 Mar 23, 2009
That's why Ray and the rest of His crew didn't want a community panel and he thinks We buy the BS about the DA .And there is only 800 tons left. And millions of Your tax dollar down the drain and the kids are still not safe .And if they had there way the same company would rip Us off again open them big blues. And were is Kate and Gary fighting crime . Is this not a crime
What report

Bronx, NY

#11 Mar 23, 2009
We know wrote:
That's why Ray and the rest of His crew didn't want a community panel and he thinks We buy the BS about the DA .And there is only 800 tons left. And millions of Your tax dollar down the drain and the kids are still not safe .And if they had there way the same company would rip Us off again open them big blues. And were is Kate and Gary fighting crime . Is this not a crime
Will Eden tell us where we can see this report? I wonder who exactly the criminals are here. This sounds pretty much like one of them that is suing the district...hmmmm...very interesting...
Lefty

Deer Park, NY

#12 Mar 23, 2009
Maybe You can ask to see the report and stop blaming people that dident put the lead there or tryed to cover it up
What report wrote:
<quoted text>
Will Eden tell us where we can see this report? I wonder who exactly the criminals are here. This sounds pretty much like one of them that is suing the district...hmmmm...very interesting...
levittown resident

Mount Vernon, NY

#13 Mar 24, 2009
Tod C wrote:
I guess you dont read the paper....Selling your house right now has nothing to do with the lead.....Did you ever think it was the economic times moran...No houses are being sold due to the depression we are in.....Try reading and not looking at the pictures
pretty smart

Mount Vernon, NY

#14 Mar 24, 2009
What report wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree it sounds just like one of them....mike is one of their friends.....i wouldnt trust him.....Hey mike the concrete is not exposed to the weather outside so how would it crack? And if im not mistaken someone told me that mike was the person who removed his name from the so called commettee.....Why are you getting involved now because the school board with exceptions of one are doing the right thing....Leave it alone and lets move forward and stop wasting our money on law suits. Lets use our tax paying money on our kids education. most of the money in our budget is going to the laywers because of the so called law suits.. I think the doh knows what they are doing and would not put their job on the line with a wrong answer on how to handle the remaining lead...Think about it would you put you job on the line in this day and age....When people are lossing jobs and houses because of all the lay offs? I wouldnt!
Next Meeting

Bronx, NY

#15 Mar 24, 2009
pretty smart wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree it sounds just like one of them....mike is one of their friends.....i wouldnt trust him.....Hey mike the concrete is not exposed to the weather outside so how would it crack? And if im not mistaken someone told me that mike was the person who removed his name from the so called commettee.....Why are you getting involved now because the school board with exceptions of one are doing the right thing....Leave it alone and lets move forward and stop wasting our money on law suits. Lets use our tax paying money on our kids education. most of the money in our budget is going to the laywers because of the so called law suits.. I think the doh knows what they are doing and would not put their job on the line with a wrong answer on how to handle the remaining lead...Think about it would you put you job on the line in this day and age....When people are lossing jobs and houses because of all the lay offs? I wouldnt!
DOH stated that the school was the cleanest on LI last August. What happened?

School Board Meeting
Wednesday Night March 25, 2009 @ 8pm
Gallow School 74 Farmedge Road
Jimmy Crack Corn

Brooklyn, NY

#16 Mar 24, 2009
How the hell does it cost that much money to put some concrete in a basement?
Jimmy M

New Rochelle, NY

#17 Mar 24, 2009
Jimmy Crack Corn wrote:
How the hell does it cost that much money to put some concrete in a basement?
1/2 to the contractor and 1/2 to Parla
Island Trees resident

Old Westbury, NY

#18 Mar 24, 2009
"Hey mike the concrete is not exposed to the weather outside so how would it crack?"

I'm not Mike and I'm not a contractor, just a concerned homeowner who is tired of wasting money because a MAJOR DANGEROUS HEALTH PROBLEM was not dealt with correctly in the first place. Concrete can crack indoors in a basement whenever the building shifts or the ground settles for some reason, like a minor earthquake. And please don't tell me we don't experience earth tremors on Long Island. Let's just fix the problem once and for all, then go after whoever was responsible for the mess and try to recover the lawyer costs from them. Maybe we need Andrew Cuomo's help since we're not getting help from Nassau County officials.
Lefty

Deer Park, NY

#19 Mar 24, 2009
If You were looking for a house and have kids would You buy a house in Island trees Moron
levittown resident wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you dont read the paper....Selling your house right now has nothing to do with the lead.....Did you ever think it was the economic times moran...No houses are being sold due to the depression we are in.....Try reading and not looking at the pictures
Leaders

Bronx, NY

#20 Mar 24, 2009
Island Trees resident wrote:
"Hey mike the concrete is not exposed to the weather outside so how would it crack?"
I'm not Mike and I'm not a contractor, just a concerned homeowner who is tired of wasting money because a MAJOR DANGEROUS HEALTH PROBLEM was not dealt with correctly in the first place. Concrete can crack indoors in a basement whenever the building shifts or the ground settles for some reason, like a minor earthquake. And please don't tell me we don't experience earth tremors on Long Island. Let's just fix the problem once and for all, then go after whoever was responsible for the mess and try to recover the lawyer costs from them. Maybe we need Andrew Cuomo's help since we're not getting help from Nassau County officials.
Where are the real leaders? If it's 8 tons or 800 tons, it doesn't matter How can they say it's clean? They said they cleaned it 3 years ago. Why is everything hush-hush? Why won't they go after whoever is responsible? Where is the Nassau DA on this? This stinks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

East Meadow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 12 hr Bruser 8,295
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 14 hr Bruser 2,638
Associated Food Store on Tulip Ave. (Jan '15) Jun 26 RoseS 7
Review: iLoveKickboxing - Franklin Square (Jun '15) Jun 24 Prettysmile 25
Job Seeking in Massapequa Jun 17 DanZMuk065 1
News Menu for hiring at Nassau jail? (Jul '07) Jun 7 dennis woody sr 24
News Police: Bethpage man committed suicide in East ... (Oct '10) Jan '16 KILLUMINATI 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

East Meadow Mortgages