'Life estate' doesn't prevent selling...

'Life estate' doesn't prevent selling a house

There are 46 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 27, 2008, titled 'Life estate' doesn't prevent selling a house. In it, Newsday reports that:

In your Dec. 9 column, a reader asked if he should sell his mom's home to pay for her assisted living expenses.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
jen

Teaneck, NJ

#43 Mar 9, 2011
Can a remainderman's interest be transferred to include other siblings with the consent of life estate holder and remainderman? I live in New York.
Another moron

White Plains, NY

#44 Mar 9, 2011
jen wrote:
Can a remainderman's interest be transferred to include other siblings with the consent of life estate holder and remainderman? I live in New York.
Of course stupid. Hire a lawyer you cheap mofo.
lost lamb

United States

#45 Jun 14, 2011
My mom has a life estate and I just found out about 2 yrs after she had it done.She left me out and my other sister.I worry because the sister she named on her life estate has a 30 yr old son living with my mom and he is nothing but trouble .Right now he is under house arrest.It worries me that she is being taken advantage of.This man living with her caused her to fall and get hurt and i want todo something to make sure if anything happens to my mom that my sister cant turn it over to him.I dont want anything but what is best for my mom.It was all done so secretly and my mom and sis are mad cause i found out about it .I have been very verbal about this grown man staying there in the past because he drinks and does drugs .Planing on seeing a lawyer .Should i have not had to sign something for her todo this?What rights do i have ?
lost lamb

United States

#46 Jun 14, 2011
After thinking about this today , I wonder since my dad died over 10 yrs ago , and he and my mom didnt have a will.I dont think this life estate my mom fixed would hold up if i contest it.Going tomorrow to gather more info.God bless everyone, and if anyone has had a similar experience to share i would be thankful for any helpful information.
dizzy

Biloxi, MS

#47 Mar 15, 2012
My father passed away last and left life time estate to his current wife. Since then she has moved out. One of her daughters is living there and is not my dads daughter. Can his 3 natural grown children take the house back?
G2cute4w

Coventry, RI

#49 Aug 6, 2015
Michael Garey wrote:
My Sister and I own a property and our step mother received life estate, and has fallen behind again, but this time for $5,000.00, and they want to foreclose. She has not followed through with the requirements of the life estate. Is there anything we can do to have her life estate canceled? We have a mortgage of our own, and do not want to lose our property, because she doesn't run tis well.
P.S
She ran through $300.000.00 in 2 years in cash?
I think she should loose her life estate.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

East Meadow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fox News' Brit Hume under fire for saying Clint... 1 hr Totally Halloween 23
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 10 hr bruser 2,677
News Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 10 hr bruser 8,361
News Long Island wife Kelly Forbes charged with stra... (Dec '07) 15 hr JFK 82
News Suburban NY police prep for presidential debate Mon Mite Be 5
women would you castrate you husbands? (Oct '14) Mon James 27
Hofstra Mon Debate class 1

East Meadow Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

East Meadow Mortgages