Ten year old in East Lyme arrested fo...

Ten year old in East Lyme arrested for threatening

There are 59 comments on the WTNH Hartford, New Haven and Connecticut story from Apr 1, 2008, titled Ten year old in East Lyme arrested for threatening. In it, WTNH Hartford, New Haven and Connecticut reports that:

East Lyme _ A ten year old boy faces criminal charges over a note and drawings he made in class.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTNH Hartford, New Haven and Connecticut.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
A Parent

Boston, MA

#41 Apr 1, 2008
ELMS Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
Comparing apples to oranges...these kids brought weapons into school....
apples...oranges. NOT EVEN CLOSE...
Try again.
Self-explanatory.
oh, and this group of kids have not been charged.
Can you explain why kids have repeatedly gotten away with assault...sexual assault, verbal threatening? While this child only drew some pictures?
Can you explain why administrators are bullying parents into keeping their mouths shut when their kids are being assaulted?
Can you explain why members of the ELFB team, after being arrested for possesion ON SCHOOL GROUNDS were allowed to represent the school in the Thanksgiving football game?
Can you explain, why, when a 14 YEAR OLD threatened another student with a gun..was never charged?
These are the reasons why MY kid will not go to the ELMS, and the reason why I pulled my kid out of the EL school systems. The kids are not safe, the kids who are carrying out the assaults..not drawing about them..are being aloud to get off scott-free,
We need to start holding the administration accountable for their idea's of justice.
Sickening.
Not apples and oranges ..kids are so damn coddled by parents in todays day and age...wake up will you...if they start drawing about violence thats just the beginning...thats a sign....
Steve

Annapolis, MD

#42 Apr 1, 2008
LibraGirl108 wrote:
<quoted text> If you don't mind sharing, I am curious to know how you know about the pull-over w/ confiscated pot, if you don't mind sharing that info. It doesn't sound like you were in the car.

Like half the stuff that gets posted on the blogs, they probably "heard" it from somebody who "heard" it from somebody else...and on and on.

“Don't Get Mad, Get Silly”

Since: Mar 08

God Bless Our Troops

#43 Apr 1, 2008
Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
Like half the stuff that gets posted on the blogs, they probably "heard" it from somebody who "heard" it from somebody else...and on and on.
Yeah, I know, but sometimes I'm just compelled to ask out of curiosity. Some of the comments are so specific, such as the post I replied to.
Soldat

United States

#44 Apr 1, 2008
Willy Lump Lump wrote:
<quoted text>... If you hate this country so much, go back where you came from,your grammar and spelling indicate you're foreign born, or a school dropout. If this country's so bad leave. There's no other place this good.
I was born and raised here my friend! I have held military Clearance and NEVER EVER said I hate this country! I just am getting sick and tired of self serving Govt officials wasting my money. Mayby you enjoy being taxed without representation but I feel WE the people are getting fleeced by the wealthy that are in bed with some Govt officials. Take alook around - Learn your Bill of rights - We are a country in decline. They always said America will implode from the inside out. How many Govt employees getting arrested every day? Im not happy about it.
JMM

AOL

#45 Apr 1, 2008
OK, I'm confused. If police say there was no intention to cause harm, why would a 10 year old be charged with threatening? Isn't Threatening a threat to cause harm?
Skippy

United States

#46 Apr 2, 2008
JMM wrote:
OK, I'm confused. If police say there was no intention to cause harm, why would a 10 year old be charged with threatening? Isn't Threatening a threat to cause harm?
Schools have a ZERO tollerance policy. No room for mistakes or childish antics. Kids are subject to adult rules in schools.Did you ever see a 6 yer old led out of school in handcuffs?
Jim Barnes

East Lyme, CT

#47 Apr 3, 2008
It never fails to surprise me how people with so little knowledge of a situation can sit back and pass judgement regarding the responses. Not only do they judge, they sign anonymously while delivering a pejatorive diatribe that slanders and defames people either directly or indirectly involved.

Do you think for one minute that just because a child is referred to juvenile authorities that he/she will be jailed and thrown out like yesterday's trash? This child and the family need help, beyond the scope of assistance that any school may offer. And that is just what this child will receive, compassionate and responsible assistance that must be followed through by accessing the criminal justice system while working with any school system. To do otherwise, would be a diservice to the child, the family and the other school children and achool staff who may be at risk.

We forget too soon the past. And if we do, we are destined to repeat it. Keeping all children safe is a tough enough job without the derisive commentary and finger pointing contributing to the problem. Oh and if you say it, have the courage to sign it.
elc

United States

#48 Apr 3, 2008
Jim Barnes wrote:
It never fails to surprise me how people with so little knowledge of a situation can sit back and pass judgement regarding the responses. Not only do they judge, they sign anonymously while delivering a pejatorive diatribe that slanders and defames people either directly or indirectly involved.
Do you think for one minute that just because a child is referred to juvenile authorities that he/she will be jailed and thrown out like yesterday's trash? This child and the family need help, beyond the scope of assistance that any school may offer. And that is just what this child will receive, compassionate and responsible assistance that must be followed through by accessing the criminal justice system while working with any school system. To do otherwise, would be a diservice to the child, the family and the other school children and achool staff who may be at risk.
We forget too soon the past. And if we do, we are destined to repeat it. Keeping all children safe is a tough enough job without the derisive commentary and finger pointing contributing to the problem. Oh and if you say it, have the courage to sign it.
You assume, Mr. Barnes that the people posting do not know the truth. FAR...FAR from it.
Slander and defamation both, in the legal terms are 'lies' that are spread as truth. This in fact, is not the case. These are issues that have happened in this town...over and over again; with absoulutly NO consequences...none; why? Because people knew 'people'.
In regards to the posting anonymously;
Again, more fact regarding your town...the vindictive nature of a few members of your police force...well, need I say more?
Open your eyes regarding the politics of the town, Mr. Barnes. I know that you are the safety officer for the East Lyme School system, and if you can honestly say that politics and money do not play a role in the consequences in the actions of some of the children, then you really need to wake up.
East Lyme over-reacted with this in many...many ways. Putting the kid in the judicial system is NOT the way to go. The VAST majority of the mental health agency's in New London County DO NOT trust the police or the Justice system because these kids who DO need help are abused within the system you say helps them.
That makes them better criminals, the court system does not dole out compassionate help.
Compassion among the courts? Puh-lease Mr. Barnes, get with the times...get a dose of reality. Your school system threw this kid to the wolves. There are other, very huge incidents of kids that deserved this type of punishment..sexual assault, threatening...drinking on school grounds...ect. Yet, the kid with the pen gets the hand-cuffs.
EL resident

AOL

#49 Apr 11, 2008
Where do you get this information from? it is criminal that the students at the ELMS should be subjected to the offender....is this another of the typical money talks and poor people walk, or forced out of EL? Seems like there are many closets within the town, and victims of those in power who are supposed to be 'for the people by the people'
NianticResident wrote:
Yet, this same school allowed an alleged Juvenile Sex Offender to harass and bully his many victims in the school for 4 months, they were made aware of this on many occasions, but just allowed it to continue. This child was finally arrested and charged with multiple felony sex assault charges. While in the care of the ELMS, this same child was accused of inappropriate contact with another student on school grounds, and the school did nothing to the child. They even lied to the parents of the assaulted child and intimidated staff members into keeping quiet. Even after this child was charged with the felonies, they let him into the school. They had been informed of the charges as per state statute, and should have met him at the door with an armed police officer, as this child has access to fire arms in his home But, I guess since he only assaulted special needs children, it doesn’t really matter to ELMS, they just bring down the CMT scores anyway you know.
NianticResident

Spotsylvania, VA

#50 Apr 12, 2008
I cannot say, only that there is a particular 12 year old that was there one day and gone the next. But that was 4 months after the State Police began their investigation, and four months after several of the victim's parents informed the principal of the incidents. This child was then allowed to roam the school with impunity, bullying his victims, and coercing other students to do the same. The day after he was arrested, his parents sent him to school as if nothing happened.
EL resident

AOL

#51 Apr 12, 2008
"Several Victims???" If this is the case, why then was it not published in the news or on the news to warn the parents of children at ELMS?
Is this rumor or is this fact? I can't believe the school administration could be so stupid as that to allow a known offender walk freely within the school. They'd make themselves wide open for being sued, at least in this town, this seems to be the typical response to everything under the sun. Is this where our huge school budget is being spent???? Unreal!!
another EL resident

United States

#52 Apr 13, 2008
EL resident wrote:
"Several Victims???" If this is the case, why then was it not published in the news or on the news to warn the parents of children at ELMS?
Is this rumor or is this fact? I can't believe the school administration could be so stupid as that to allow a known offender walk freely within the school. They'd make themselves wide open for being sued, at least in this town, this seems to be the typical response to everything under the sun. Is this where our huge school budget is being spent???? Unreal!!
The administration has a way of hiding things. This is NOTHING new to the town, it has just gotten worse. And NO, this is NOT a rumor; many of the parents were very upset and the New London Day simply would not report it.

Money Talks in this town, and it is not always the 'have nots' who get upset about the justice of some and injustice of others....

This town needs some serious help about the politics; however, no one has the b a l l s to face the politics.

Sad....vert sad....
Foamer King

Colchester, CT

#53 Apr 15, 2008
another EL resident wrote:
<quoted text>
The administration has a way of hiding things. This is NOTHING new to the town, it has just gotten worse. And NO, this is NOT a rumor; many of the parents were very upset and the New London Day simply would not report it.
Money Talks in this town, and it is not always the 'have nots' who get upset about the justice of some and injustice of others....
This town needs some serious help about the politics; however, no one has the b a l l s to face the politics.
Sad....vert sad....
Why isn't it better known, becasue the law protects the accused, not the victims.
NianticResident

Spotsylvania, VA

#54 Apr 16, 2008
The reason we will never see this story on TV or in the papers is that the news media is afraid of the people in East Lyme, as they have money and Lawyers. The people of Connecticut will never hear a peep about this little cherub on the news or in the papers, because he is just a “poor confused kid”, from the right side of the tracks. A story about these alleged crimes would only have been written if he had allegedly sexually assaulted another of the "Haves" children, and not kids from the second or third tier of East Lyme society. No, this will all just go away, the alleged offender will get a slap on the hand, and just walk like nothing happened. That is why his parents didn't have a problem with sending him to school the morning after his arrest, as they knew that East Lyme protects alleged juvenile criminals, if their crimes were against the right victims. If this were not so, we would have heard of it in the media by now. If this alleged offender has any more victims in East Lyme, they most likely believe that they are alone in this, and therefore feel that they will not be believed if they accuse a child of the “Right People” in town of these crimes. I truly grieve for his alleged victims, known and unknown, and hope that they continue to have the courage to fight the wall of silence in East Lyme.
Nicole

West Haven, CT

#55 Apr 16, 2008
Iknow in today's worl it's hard to take things lightly because there are sick people that WILL cause harm, but c'mon... it even says it doesn't appear he'd really cause harm. It's only a picture. When I was younger I can't count the times I told someone I'd kill them or I said I'd blow something up. Of course, I wasn't serious. I can only imagine if on the playground these kids want to play cowboys and indians!! Oh wait, are kids even allowed to play anymore!?!? It seems childhoods do not exist anymore.
NianticResident

Spotsylvania, VA

#56 Apr 16, 2008
Just as I said, one child draws a picture and gets arrested and publicly pilloried for it. One child molests special needs children and gets protected from all public view. One child is from the lower social strata in East Lyme, and is therefore free to suffer. The other child is a chosen "athletically gifted" child of the ruling class in East Lyme; he gets off without any public notice whatsoever. Even here, as this post sinks to the bottom of the pile, no one really cares,‘So some middle school jock got his jollies off a few SPEDs”,“they are a waste of time and money anyway”. Just let him walk the halls of the middle school, to harass, threaten, and assault his victims, and let’s have the adults coddle the poor child to make sure his feeling don’t get hurt. After all, he might take the High School to the State Football Championship or something really important in the future. But draw a picture that implies a childish threat, not that child id a menace, and must be PUNISHED.
East Lyme Resident

Uncasville, CT

#57 Apr 18, 2008
Well, first off we don't have the full story. But enough of that...

If we treat kids as adults in this matter. Then they should have the rights of adults. It is a radical statement I know, but there's a reason under the law 10 year olds are considered "minors". I.E. they draw STUPID THINGS!.

So quit being crazy, if this continues this whole damn country will collapse.

Life goes on.... Let the kid free and give him and his family reparations, they deserve it.
ELperson

Bedford, TX

#58 Apr 18, 2008
NianticResident wrote:
Just as I said, one child draws a picture and gets arrested and publicly pilloried for it. One child molests special needs children and gets protected from all public view. One child is from the lower social strata in East Lyme, and is therefore free to suffer. The other child is a chosen "athletically gifted" child of the ruling class in East Lyme; he gets off without any public notice whatsoever. Even here, as this post sinks to the bottom of the pile, no one really cares,‘So some middle school jock got his jollies off a few SPEDs”,“they are a waste of time and money anyway”. Just let him walk the halls of the middle school, to harass, threaten, and assault his victims, and let’s have the adults coddle the poor child to make sure his feeling don’t get hurt. After all, he might take the High School to the State Football Championship or something really important in the future. But draw a picture that implies a childish threat, not that child id a menace, and must be PUNISHED.
You have that right.
Funny thing, East Lyme WILL NEVER win any football title; never have...never will. The vast majority of the kids who play football are a bunch of alcoholic-drug selling hoodlums.
But they get away with EVERYTHING...and THAT is infuriating. Cut the education budget because they need to spend money on the feild lights...for a group of drunks.
But yes, arrest the 10 year old.
A Nonny Moose

Spotsylvania, VA

#59 Apr 24, 2010
It has been reported that the East Lyme Connecticut Middle School’s “Waves” Kiva has had a major incident in which girls are alleged to have performed oral sex on boys in the Kiva’s girl's room. This is a 5th grade Kiva and apparently a girl and two boys were found in the Girl's room, during which time two of them were discovered performing the sex act. A second boy was also discovered in the Girl’s Room apparently waiting to be serviced by the girl. This incident occurred during a class period when all of the Kiva’s teaching staff was engaged in teaching. The students in question had been let out of class to use the restroom, each student from a different classroom. Upon investigation, it has also been reported that numerous boys, possibly as many as 30, and about 7 girls had worked out a schedule of when and with whom a specific girl would meet one or two boys. During these meetings the girl would perform oral sex on the boys, and also allow intimate touching of her person. This is rumored to have been ongoing for at least 4 weeks, and possibly since January. At least two paper copies of this schedule were reported to have been recovered from two 11 year old girls. It is also rumored that money was exchanged on a number of occasions; reports are between 10 and 30 dollars each, for oral sex. It is also reported that the parents of the students that were said to be involved in this ring have been called in for face to face meetings with school staff, and that they me be facing suspension. It is also rumored that the three students actually caught have been tested for STD’s and have been suspended.

It is also reported that a meeting has been held with all parents of Wave’s students to discuss the allegations, and that the overwhelming response to this situation by the parents was complete and utter denial that such a thing had ever happened. It is also reported that at least 3 girls have freely admitted taking part in this and even meeting up with several 7th grade boys and two 8th grade boys after school to perform oral sex on them. These acts did not take place on school grounds, and may have occurred in the restroom of the community center and the baseball dugout at Veterans Field. At least one such meeting that consisted of several students was also thought to have occurred over the spring break at the home of one 8th grade boy in the Pine Grove section of Niantic. It is also rumored that the State of Connecticut DCF and the East Lyme Police Department are conducting a follow-up investigation. Neither the Middle School Principals office, nor the Superintendent’s Office have issued any formal comment on these allegations, but several parents of students in the Waves Kiva confirm that they were contacted over the past week and informed of the nature of the incident.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

East Lyme Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Five Arrested On Prostitution Charges In Branfo... (Dec '09) Jan 1 Wize1 31
Walking Jan 1 JakeJr 2
News State, local lawmakers pledge opposition to Tru... Nov '16 Wildchild 1
News Shoreline Town Balks At Possible New Amtrak Line (Feb '16) Sep '16 Samuels Furnace Man 7
News Dunham Farm housing plan is no-go (Aug '08) Apr '16 Backweird 6
Review: Carelot Children's Center (Sep '14) Sep '14 disapointed mom 1
News Man arraigned for East Lyme consignment store r... (Jun '14) Jun '14 beachgirls 1

East Lyme Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

East Lyme Mortgages