Where to find the Church

Where to find the Church

There are 11 comments on the Berkshire Eagle story from May 8, 2010, titled Where to find the Church. In it, Berkshire Eagle reports that:

Today marks the 500th day of the vigil at St. Stanislaus Church in Adams, and while the parishioners recently received a hearing in the Vatican it is difficult to believe much good will come of it.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Berkshire Eagle.

CER1940

Crossville, TN

#1 May 9, 2010
I left the church (the RCC) of my birth twenty four years ago because I recoginized the leadership as being primarily interested in power, appearance of respect and wealth. Little has changed. It is said that the church moves in its own time. Unfortunately most of us do not have that long to wait. If you wish to try and influence change within the RCC show them an empty pew and an empty collection plate. They will respect nothing else.
Lee Podles

Baltimore, MD

#2 May 9, 2010
Alas, you are correct that, in the Church as elsewhere, money talks. In memos among church staff in Boston, they gauged the level of unhappiness in a parish by the size of the collection – a grubby but realistic indicator. A few people may complain, but if the majority still pony up week after week, the Church can creak along and leave both good and bad in its path.
Robert Kelly

Cobleskill, NY

#3 May 9, 2010
both CER and Lee have made good points. however, vacant pews and empty collections plates are likely to lead to vacancy and nothing more. though walking away is understandable, that will not improve the church for those who remain. a higher response is called for.
say yes to God

Carver, MA

#4 May 9, 2010
Why doesn't the diocese contact someone like the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter or Institute of Christ the King and establish St. Stans as a Latin Mass parish or oratory? Many other diocese have done this with churches that were destined for closure!

http://www.fssp.org/en/index.htm

http://www.institute-christ-king.org/home/
Adam Smith

AOL

#5 May 9, 2010
Robert Kelly wrote:
both CER and Lee have made good points. however, vacant pews and empty collections plates are likely to lead to vacancy and nothing more. though walking away is understandable, that will not improve the church for those who remain. a higher response is called for.
I think the term for what you espouse is enabling.
Robert Kelly

Cobleskill, NY

#6 May 10, 2010
Adam Smith wrote:
<quoted text>I think the term for what you espouse is enabling.
I thought you were dead.
buy a used jesus

Warwick, MA

#7 May 10, 2010
Robert Kelly wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought you were dead.
Your religion is- you all just keep clinging to the putrid corpse.
Adam Smith

AOL

#8 May 10, 2010
Robert Kelly wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought you were dead.
I thought you were Christian. The body may be worm food, but the soul lives on.
Dominic Tomasso

Tucson, AZ

#9 May 10, 2010
I don't go to church anymore and it's not because I can't find it. I left the church because of the Pope and the bishop's, based on the following: Bishops protected abusive priests. Bishops moved abusive priests from parish to parish. Bishops allowed abusuve priest to leave the minstry without having to register as sex offenders. bishops used billions of dollars of church money to protect sex criminals and to protect themselves. The Pope has done absolutely nothing to get rid of these criminals because, obviously, he too has been involved. These failed leaders, with absolute power and absolute control will not admit what they have done and refuse to be held accountable, are still running the church. How in the name of heaven can I go to church knowing this. I'd have to have my head stuck up my butt and be two faced, to look a priest or bishop in the eye. One last comment, our bishop here in Tucson ( Kicanas) still allows the name of one of the 10 worsts bishops in America, to reman on Pastoral letterheads and on the public building address of our Pastoral center. I'm having a problem deciding what justification (our most photographed bishop in the world), has for such a lack of repect for the sexually abused, their parents and friends and 350,000 Catholics in this diocese.
Dominic Tomasso

Tucson, AZ

#10 May 10, 2010
One more reason,Jesus approves.
Robert Kelly

Cobleskill, NY

#11 May 13, 2010
Adam Smith wrote:
<quoted text>I thought you were Christian. The body may be worm food, but the soul lives on.
Adam,

I don't disagree with your observation about the body/soul thing.
However, when we look at what's happening in the institutional church, it's clear that the policies of fighting abuse lawsuits, moving priests around like so many pawns, etc., is in the body (here and now) phase. And frankly, it stinks now, not in the afterlife.

You call me an enabler because I continue to go to church, but this comment in itself reveals that you believe that the institutional church is the whole enchilada, i.e., that the hierarchy with robes and incense and so on is the church. This is not the church, the church is much more than that. That was the whole point of the editorial.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

East Longmeadow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hillcrest buys St. Mark's School 22 min The Worlds Bigges... 6
News Pittsfield could see dozens of Syrian, Iraqi re... Nov 30 The Worlds Bigges... 24
News New Pittsfield to Welcome Syrian RefugeesSeptem... Nov 22 Ficken in German 117
News CPA will soon begin paying dividends for Pittsf... Nov 20 the city I hate 1
News George W. Bush did not vote for Hillary Clinton Nov 18 Mohammad Ahsanul ... 1
News Lawyer was targeted by DSS, siblings say (Mar '08) Nov 17 DCF are MONSTERS 207
News Israeli police say man shot dead at key holy site (Jun '13) Nov 17 GORKAs treason 17

East Longmeadow Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

East Longmeadow Mortgages