FUELING HONDA'S FUTURE | The Columbus...

FUELING HONDA'S FUTURE | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 18 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jun 27, 2010, titled FUELING HONDA'S FUTURE | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

The revamped Acura TL, a model built in Marysville, has been praised for its engineering but less for its design.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

Honda Owner

United States

#1 Jun 27, 2010
In 2000 I bought my first Honda...a CR-V. What a great vehicle.

This year I bought another-a 2010 CR-V. I've owned many brands over my

lifetime..but Honda has been the best. Not flashy..but dependable,

reliable & fun to drive. I think it's the "best bang for the buck" on the road.

Keep up the great work, Honda.
Hank

United States

#3 Jun 27, 2010
Honda is a very dependable and fun vehicle to drive and it won't empty your pockets going in for repairs or service or for gasoline . Plus , it's keeping Ohioans working and is the largest auto employer in the State . Go Honda !
the dude

Centerburg, OH

#4 Jun 27, 2010
Honda future in OH is bleak at best.
The 2011 changeover is happening now and all honda has are overpriced, fugly gas guzzlers. I can't believe that it's 2011 and these cheap knock offs are only getting a little over 20MPG. I never have seen all this high quality the jap manfactures claim to have. It's clear how badly toytoy handled their poor product issues and their customers paid with their own lives.
I hope the gubernut (who shares the blame) will help clean up the toxic stew they leave when their done with their Ohio operations.
The foriegn automakers cost americans jobs is the truth of the matter.
Lookig at the chicks who drive hondas is your best banging of the babe qick peek...Buckrooo!
Response to ignorance

United States

#5 Jun 27, 2010
You don't have an intelligent clue about Honda...or for life, either. Go back to drinking your rot-gut liquor & crawl back in your negative snake hole where you came from you sorry excuse for a humna being.
the dude wrote:
Honda future in OH is bleak at best.
The 2011 changeover is happening now and all honda has are overpriced,**** gas guzzlers. I can't believe that it's 2011 and these cheap knock offs are only getting a little over 20MPG. I never have seen all this high quality the jap manfactures claim to have. It's clear how badly toytoy handled their poor product issues and their customers paid with their own lives.
I hope the gubernut (who shares the blame) will help clean up the toxic stew they leave when their done with their Ohio operations.
The foriegn automakers cost americans jobs is the truth of the matter.
Lookig at the chicks who drive hondas is your best banging of the babe qick peek...Buckrooo!
Buy American

Marysville, OH

#7 Jun 27, 2010
LOL....true
Happy Honda Owner

United States

#8 Jun 27, 2010
I've lost track of how many Hondas we've owned in the past twenty years, but three of the four we own currently are--two Accords and Civic. We continue to buy Honda after Honda because they are dependable and economical to maintain. In addition, they are fun to drive and we like to support our local economy. When shopping for the most recent vehicle, the solid feel of closing the door of the Accord coupe sealed the deal. We'll continue to shop Honda first.
Enzyte Bob

Reynoldsburg, OH

#9 Jun 27, 2010
"The revamped Acura TL, a model built in Marysville, has been praised for its engineering but less for its design."

lol

It has been widely MOCKED for its design, its front end has been called a "beak". In fact, the entire Honda lineup is considered by most to be ugly.

Never mind the fact that my Acura TL is also on its third transmission, the Accord before that also had a gimpy one and my dashboard lights are out! Honda quality is no longer up to snuff!
Humorous

Urbana, OH

#10 Jun 27, 2010
Enzyte Bob wrote:
"The revamped Acura TL, a model built in Marysville, has been praised for its engineering but less for its design."
lol
It has been widely MOCKED for its design, its front end has been called a "beak". In fact, the entire Honda lineup is considered by most to be ugly.
Never mind the fact that my Acura TL is also on its third transmission, the Accord before that also had a gimpy one and my dashboard lights are out! Honda quality is no longer up to snuff!
Enzyte Bob, eh? Sounds like your Hondas aren't the only equipment you're having trouble with! Maybe its just you.
Enzyte Bob

Reynoldsburg, OH

#11 Jun 27, 2010
Humorous wrote:
<quoted text>
Enzyte Bob, eh? Sounds like your Hondas aren't the only equipment you're having trouble with! Maybe its just you.
I've driven Hondas exclusively since my 1983 Accord. My current Acura TL will probably be my last. I could forgive the issues on this TL if they were in isolation, but the last one wasn't so bulletproof, either.

You buy a Honda because you want reliability, conservative/crisp styling and because it's supposed to be a driver's car. The current crop of Hondas are mostly ugly and about as fun to drive as a Chevy Celebrity. I'm not feeling any compelling reason to keep buying Honda products anymore when a Buick Regal/Lacrosse/Enclave are far better looking vehicles.
Enzyte Bob

Reynoldsburg, OH

#12 Jun 27, 2010
"There seems to be an issue with design," he said. "That seems to be where their problems lie."

This is a departure from previous generations of Hondas, which Wolkonowicz saw as good-looking and timeless. He doesn't know what has changed within the company on the design side.

"The innovation just seems to have evaporated there," he said.

==========

THAT'S AN UNDERSTATEMENT!!!!

HOW ABOUT JUST PLAIN UGLY??? MOST HONDAS ARE JUST PLAIN UGLY!!!

THAT'S WHY THEIR SALES ARE DOWN!!!

THAT'S WHY MY NEXT CAR WON'T BE ONE!!!

THEY ARE BUTT-UGLY!!!
The data shows

Marysville, OH

#13 Jun 27, 2010
The rave reviews and glowing testimonials that flow forth from Honda owners is largely due to the fact they are primarily purchased by morons.
Jim

Marysville, OH

#17 Jun 27, 2010
The last good Accord was the 1998-2003 design. The latest incarnations are too big and bulky on the exterior and come with lots of plastic on the interior.

The Civic is not too appealing either.

I hope they do well, but they need to rethink some of their designs.
Enzyte Bob

Reynoldsburg, OH

#18 Jun 27, 2010
Jim wrote:
The last good Accord was the 1998-2003 design. The latest incarnations are too big and bulky on the exterior and come with lots of plastic on the interior.
The Civic is not too appealing either.
I hope they do well, but they need to rethink some of their designs.
My love for Honda waned in 2004 when my mother was looking for a car. She doesn't drive much, so my dad and I were trying to nudge her into a Ford Taurus, which they were practically giving away (I think they were about $11,500 at Graham). She was adamant that she didn't want a Ford and instead wanted a Honda Accord (last gen), but I nixed the idea because they were so ugly.

Byers also happened to be giving away Volvo S-60s at the time and for a couple thousand dollars more, I got her into something with leather and a sunroof. She doesn't drive much, so that negates the potential for a huge repair bill. Plus, it's a great car.

My dad was shopping last year and did end up in an Accord LX-P, which again they were giving away. That was probably a decent choice at the price he paid, but if something prettier was in that price range from a reputable manufacturer, I would have been pushing him in that direction. If I can get his car for the same price (which ended up being about $5,000 off), I might still go in that direction at the end of the day. But I'm not going to pay a premium price for an ugly car.

Bottom line is that Honda used to hit that sweet spot of practical styling which was conservative, yet sporty. Something along the lines of what they're trying to do with Buick. Honda mistakenly tried to be cool, and they haven't been very good at it. They are like nerds trying to be fashionable. They can't pull it off.
Enzyte Bob

Reynoldsburg, OH

#19 Jun 27, 2010
Jim wrote:
Agree 100%. That's what I still drive, an '02 Acura TL.

I'd rather they had kept this size of car, and the tasteful interior with nice, soft plastics. The current car is almost the size of a Buick LeSabre and has the same tacky interior.

I'd rather have a smaller car with a nicer cabin, than a bulbous car with a cheap GM-style interior.
animal control

Mount Gilead, OH

#20 Jun 28, 2010
The japs built a good motorcycle pre 1990's, then went on the harley clone warpath and the bikes they were producing were geared towards foriegn function & taste. US sales dropped big time even though fuel cost were higher. Honda pulls the plug on their us motorcycle enthuist & forever closes shop on us soil, in 2008.
Hollwood does the same and gears movies tword forign markets not the us .
jap never has built a decent autos, they came here to usa for duty free cheap labor and more and more are even trying backwood alabama and mississippi locations for assemblers on the cheap, thing is you get what you pay for most of the time.
In the future the trend will be to build these cheap knock-off autos in china/asia and import to the us again, it will go full circle so to speak.
japan is just a crumy overpopulated island on a eathquake faultline, most of all the japs want a better lifestle and come here and someday maybe the will find a truce with their slant eye neighbors and peacefully coexist.
no charge
Al Gore

Marysville, OH

#21 Jun 28, 2010
Honda's are the prefered car of jerks and lesbians.
Enzyte Bob

Reynoldsburg, OH

#22 Jul 1, 2010
Honda Sales Up 6 Percent In June
By Edward Niedermeyer on July 1, 2010

Honda may not have suffered from a recall crisis the way Toyota did earlier this year, but its sales are equally flaccid this month, increasing only six percent in a month when the market grew by double digits. Because it doesn’t have a convenient excuse for this weakness, one is forced to conclude that its products simply aren’t resonating with consumers. Accord grew by less than 12 percent, despite including sales of the brand-new Crosstour CUV, which means the sedan has gone soft as the new “wagon” sold 1,848 units. Insight continues to flounder, failing once again to crack 2k units, and the ZDX appears to be just the latest unpopular product for Acura, selling only 265 units last month. Without solid growth from reliably popular products like Civic (+26.3%, 26,474 units), CR-V (+17%, 16,041 units), MDX (+63.8%, 3,847 units) and TSX (+33%, 2,510 units), Honda would be in deep, deep trouble.

Chart:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/honda-sales-...
animal control

Pataskala, OH

#23 Jul 2, 2010
Thats a good point Enzyte Bob, also I would klike to add the dismal fugly ridgeline sales and the failure of hondas greatest fugly motorcycle "The Rune"!
On the upside: Honda's joint venture with vietnam is thriving and will increase moped production & the chinese assoiates have stopped jumping out of the tall buildings.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

East Liberty Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Two Honda managers among - leading women' in au... Feb 4 mississipi flash 8
News Raymond man facing several heroin charges (Jul '15) Feb 3 mississipi flash 10
News Honda sets 2015 U.S. sales record Jan '16 CBigsby 1
Valley Hi Music Thread (Dec '14) Oct '15 Musikologist 4
News Marysville: Climber cited for scaling U.S. 33 p... Oct '15 Pam 2
News Large fire engulfs part of Mad River Mountain R... Sep '15 moonbeamNmayhem 8
Looking to Move to North Lewisburg (Jan '10) Sep '15 Don 9
More from around the web

Personal Finance

East Liberty Mortgages