Honda offers voluntary buyouts, cuts ...

Honda offers voluntary buyouts, cuts pay and production in Nort...

There are 22 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Apr 1, 2009, titled Honda offers voluntary buyouts, cuts pay and production in Nort.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Honda Motor Co. is offering voluntary buyouts, cutting workers' pay and imposing 13 non-production days at its North American plants to reduce its output this summer by 62,000 vehicles.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
James

Summit Argo, IL

#1 Apr 1, 2009
I would never buy Americas crap quality, Ford, GM, Crysler, Saturn etc.

America Sucks!!!!!
Thomas

Oklahoma City, OK

#2 Apr 1, 2009
Cuts to executive compensation? That's unheard of at American companies!!!

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#4 Apr 1, 2009
The real story wrote:
[email protected] Honda
[email protected] the Japs
Pack that sh!t up and drag it back to Tokyo for all I care
I think your a UAW supporter that's lost his job with one of the big 3. Or should I say falling 3.
Blue Dog

Springfield, MA

#5 Apr 1, 2009
I love my Honda Pilot and since I purchased it in 2005 I have had nothing but good luck with it.

Having always owned Fords I can honestly say I don't see going back to a US mfg unless quality and fit and finish improve a great deal

The management style of Honda demonstrated via this article reinforces my opinion of whats righ with Honda and the Japanese builders and whats wrong with US corporations, just look how they cut cost, from the top down not the bottom up.

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#6 Apr 1, 2009
Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group Paid it's top 14 executives a total of 8.1 million (About 1/2 a million each) Mitsubishi then purchased a major interest in Morgan Stanley where CEO John Mack, alone was paid 41 million.
Hirihito

Columbus, OH

#7 May 13, 2009
I hope that a lot of honda drones take the severance deal, but it should be conditional on them immediately having to move at least 1000 miles from Union County.
We would be much better off with a few less honda c*cksukers around.
nameless

Delaware, OH

#8 May 13, 2009
Hirihito wrote:
I hope that a lot of honda drones take the severance deal, but it should be conditional on them immediately having to move at least 1000 miles from Union County.
We would be much better off with a few less honda c*cksukers around.
Why are you so bitter?
My GGGeneration

Schaumburg, IL

#9 May 13, 2009
James wrote:
I would never buy Americas crap quality, Ford, GM, Crysler, Saturn etc.
America Sucks!!!!!
Happy Motoring. Just curious what the first number of your car's VIN is....
asemo

Marion, OH

#10 May 13, 2009
Hirihito wrote:
I hope that a lot of honda drones take the severance deal, but it should be conditional on them immediately having to move at least 1000 miles from Union County.
We would be much better off with a few less honda c*cksukers around.
Must be a Temp looking to get his/her spot back that they steal from full timers....
animal control

Greenville, OH

#11 May 13, 2009
James wrote:
I would never buy Americas crap quality, Ford, GM, Crysler, Saturn etc.
America Sucks!!!!!
They have programs 4 people like U.
bigdawgs2001

Hamilton, OH

#12 Jun 5, 2009
Blue Dog wrote:
I love my Honda Pilot and since I purchased it in 2005 I have had nothing but good luck with it.
Having always owned Fords I can honestly say I don't see going back to a US mfg unless quality and fit and finish improve a great deal
The management style of Honda demonstrated via this article reinforces my opinion of whats righ with Honda and the Japanese builders and whats wrong with US corporations, just look how they cut cost, from the top down not the bottom up.
Actually Honda did also cut production associates wages also. By this meaning they recieved no pay raise, no overtime, no bonuses and have to take days off with no pay. On the other hand management may had to take a cut also, but if I am not mistaken it was only a 1 or 2% cut, plus the days off they are still getting a full weeks pay because they are all salary. I bet that 1 or 2% is really hurting their pockets as to the production assosiates who have to lose 220.00 a day for mandatory days off. Plus HOnda shutting down for half a month and is making production take off in july and making them use their own vacation time for one week so they dont have to pay unemployment.
Ron

Hamilton, OH

#13 Jun 6, 2009
Everyone lost OT money so the sacrifice is shared by all.They still get their HEP payments as promised last year.Would you be happy with "only" a 1% or 2% paycut?I doubt it.There many "mgt" associates who make far less than production associates when you factor in time and a half plust attendance bonusus plus HEP payments,all of which any level of mgt does not receive.Oh,and one last thing...evry associate is being forced to take two weeks off in July.Every associate will have 5 vacation days borrowed from next year's days.This is anything but how the lowly production associates are getting screwed.
ron

Hamilton, OH

#14 Jun 9, 2009
Ron wrote:
Everyone lost OT money so the sacrifice is shared by all.They still get their HEP payments as promised last year.Would you be happy with "only" a 1% or 2% paycut?I doubt it.There many "mgt" associates who make far less than production associates when you factor in time and a half plust attendance bonusus plus HEP payments,all of which any level of mgt does not receive.Oh,and one last thing...evry associate is being forced to take two weeks off in July.Every associate will have 5 vacation days borrowed from next year's days.This is anything but how the lowly production associates are getting screwed.
you must be one of those "fat" "lazy" mgt. people to make comments about the 14% pay cut that the production worker has taken. yes that is right it adds up to 14%. While you are trying to figure this out do not forget, you can not use HONDA MAth when trying to figure it out.
James

Harreveld, Netherlands

#15 Jun 9, 2009
My GGGeneration wrote:
<quoted text>
Happy Motoring. Just curious what the first number of your car's VIN is....
My car is made in germany...saw it on the line as it was being made.
Singing Slam

Columbus, OH

#16 Jun 9, 2009
James wrote:
<quoted text>
My car is made in germany...saw it on the line as it was being made.
What, you have a DAF?
James

Harreveld, Netherlands

#17 Jun 10, 2009
Singing Slam wrote:
<quoted text>
What, you have a DAF?
Nope, just a car.
popeye da salior man

Bellefontaine, OH

#18 Jun 11, 2009
Around here only girly men drive honda cars. If I drive my 4x4 to sawmill rd. and stop at a traffic light the little honda cars in front, beside, and behind me are all drivin by old oriental forign folks, they have men driving little honda cars who wear pink clothes there also.
It's just plain wrong to assemble a forign import car on USA soil.
Daisyk

Powell, OH

#19 Jun 13, 2009
"Is it wrong to employ over 22,000 American's in Honda companies in the US, and quadrupal that for the supplier base? Come on, Honda is very valuable American employer, and build quality cars in America.
animal control

Marysville, OH

#20 Jun 14, 2009
Come off it, on with this 50 years in America claim honda.I only believe 60 percent of the whole story. This honda auto is absolutely no better than nothing, I have seen many rust completely in half.

Quote from honda.com :
Honda's first U.S. production facility, the Marysville Motorcycle Plant has produced more than 1.8 million motorcycles and ATVs since 1979.
KayBee

Bellefontaine, OH

#21 Jun 20, 2009
"Ron" either works for Honda or did. I can spot that lingo anywhere. "Honda math" "fat, lazy mgmt" (very true). I used to work there and took the buyout....Thank the lord they offered it. The Honda production line is utter hell with the worst middle management you've ever seen. No managemet of people skills, no education, they claim ergonomics is important to them, yeah right. many associates have had multiple surgeries due to their "ergonomic concerns." Honda knows they have to get rid of full timers in order to compete in the NEW auto industry that the stupid 3 created by destroying the industry by not remaining competitive. Honda will run production with as many temps as they can. It will save them money in terms of wages and health care costs. The problem for the remaining full timers will be the eventual wage cut since they are at-will employees. GL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

East Liberty Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for State House in Ohio (Dis... (Oct '10) Mar '17 State pharrt 7
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Ohio (Dist... (Oct '10) Mar '17 You pharrt 16
Valley Hi Music Thread (Dec '14) Mar '17 Musikologist 6
Lime build up from water Mar '17 Big Jim 2
News North Lewisburg residents to see utility increa... (Dec '08) Feb '17 Concerned 21
News Smart Mobility Corridor to become Ohio's first ... Feb '17 Jackie 2
sPam Dec '16 West Mansfield FATZ 2

East Liberty Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

East Liberty Mortgages