smell on co.rd. 153
fumed out

Columbus, OH

#1 Nov 12, 2009
Who ever the farmer is that spread the chicken *hit all over the fields on Co.Rd. 153 needs to be smacked this smell is so terrible it is starting to enter the homes not to mention you about puke everytime a door opens or you must leave your home. Isn't there something against the EPA rules using chicken shit?(it has to much amonia in it?. reguardless if it is or isnt this is just non sense.
redfox

Marysville, OH

#2 Nov 17, 2009
fumed out wrote:
Who ever the farmer is that spread the chicken *hit all over the fields on Co.Rd. 153 needs to be smacked this smell is so terrible it is starting to enter the homes not to mention you about puke everytime a door opens or you must leave your home. Isn't there something against the EPA rules using chicken shit?(it has to much amonia in it?. reguardless if it is or isnt this is just non sense.
It looks live cow manure. The Locci family has a dairy farm on the property. It still smells very bad. Farmers sometimes think only about themselves. I hope is clears out before the holiday.
redfox

Marysville, OH

#3 Nov 23, 2009
The smell is chicken manure but we do not know who is spreading it. Some believe it is being transported from the chicken farms near Raymond. The smell is in Middleburg now and is very offensive. If this is a problem for you report it to the District (Logan County) EPA. I know they do have rules. I can't believe these farmers would be allowed to inflict this terrible smell on us with no rules or consequences especially at Thanksgiving. It takes the joy out of eating poultry.
Mama J

Centerburg, OH

#4 Nov 23, 2009
I live just outside of North Lewisburg and the smell been really bad for a couple of days. I also heard it was being brought in from Raymond. I saw the mounds of it in a field across the road. My son and I were gagging this morning waiting for the school bus. Not fun. But this is the first time I have noticed anything this bad in 10 years. Hope it will be another 10 before we smell that again!
local resident

Powell, OH

#5 May 3, 2011
That's what you will have to deal with in an agricultural area. Move to the city if you don't like it. Don't eat any produce either because its grown by the same hard working farmers. Get over it!
Mama J

Bucyrus, OH

#6 May 3, 2011
local resident wrote:
That's what you will have to deal with in an agricultural area. Move to the city if you don't like it. Don't eat any produce either because its grown by the same hard working farmers. Get over it!
Your reply is about as nasty as that smell. I grow my own produce, thanks.
were local

Columbus, OH

#7 May 18, 2011
The crop farmers, hog and cattle farmers were here
first. This is why it is called rural area. It is not the big city. Some of you want to live the nice quiet life of the country need to accept the fact country smells come with the rural area.
bigSirens

Marysville, OH

#8 May 18, 2011
I'm all for agriculture. And yes, the farmers were here first. Do you want odor from animals or odor from factories, pollution in the air every day, noise,rapes, shootings, robberies and killings? The smell I notice is the Henry's Hog slop of county road 44 between 153 and 559. So much for 'loving thy neighbor. The smell just lurks in the air. Feel sorry for the neighbors. They have ruined property values and peoples lives forever. There are ways to treat the manure so the odor is controlled. Farmers do it every day. It does cost $ but it is the law and it is the right thing to do. If the spread the manure and "cut" it in the ground as the liquid feeds out, the odor is minimal. Shame on you for not treating your by product. Go ahead and report them to the EPA, they don't enforce regulations on them. Many people have complained. However, maybe there is strength in numbers.
Mama J

Bucyrus, OH

#9 May 19, 2011
were local wrote:
The crop farmers, hog and cattle farmers were here
first. This is why it is called rural area. It is not the big city. Some of you want to live the nice quiet life of the country need to accept the fact country smells come with the rural area.
Actually, Native American Indians were here first. So were beautiful, large forests,woodlands, prairies and bogs. Not stripped out soil that has to have cancer causing chemicals added to a grow crops. And more chemicals to kill any other living thing on that field except for crops.......
bigSirens

Marysville, OH

#10 May 19, 2011
Mama CJ, You don't know much about no-till and pesticides. Do you really think farmers would treat crops with something that wasn't lawful. Farmers no till crop and rotate to save the soil and nutrients. You eat worse from fast food restaurants. Look at the coating on fresh fruits and vegetables.
Everyone has to make a living. You sound a little envious.
You eat don't you? Thank a farmer.
chicken

Marysville, OH

#11 May 22, 2011
Do you use fertilizer on your lawn?
Weed control on your lawn?
"Miracle grow for your plants?
"Sevin when you get bugs on garden?
Raid on that poor wasp?
Same principle.
Mama J

Bucyrus, OH

#12 May 23, 2011
chicken wrote:
Do you use fertilizer on your lawn?
Weed control on your lawn?
"Miracle grow for your plants?
"Sevin when you get bugs on garden?
Raid on that poor wasp?
Same principle.
I do. I use Miracle grow and weed control from time to time. I make them up in maybe a gallon container. I don't use so much that I need tanker trucks to haul it in. I don't ever remember spilling gallons and gallons of ammonia in a field and making my neighbors sick.(like our local farmers have done) I don't use so much that it goes in the air and kills off the neighbors grass, trees and other plants. I don't use so much that it runs off into ponds and streams. No raid for wasps, just a garden hose. I do not fertilize my lawn. I haven't used Sevin.

I don't have a big beef with farmers in general. Maybe its just the drunks that farm in my area, that have sprayed the trees on MY property because I have a limb that might hang over on to the land they lease.
And this original post was about the smell of chicken crap on fields. I stated I had noticed it but that had been the first time in 10 years, not a big complaint. Maybe if the farmer would have spread it instead of dumped the whole truck load (several) it would not have been so bad. After a couple of good rains the smell was gone. It's raining again, now maybe you'll leave too.......

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

East Liberty Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lime build up from water (Feb '17) Jun '17 Big Jim 4
Election Who do you support for State House in Ohio (Dis... (Oct '10) Mar '17 State pharrt 7
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Ohio (Dist... (Oct '10) Mar '17 You pharrt 16
Valley Hi Music Thread (Dec '14) Mar '17 Musikologist 6
News North Lewisburg residents to see utility increa... (Dec '08) Feb '17 Concerned 21
News Smart Mobility Corridor to become Ohio's first ... (Dec '16) Feb '17 Jackie 2
sPam (Nov '16) Dec '16 West Mansfield FATZ 2

East Liberty Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

East Liberty Mortgages