Once-cool Element discontinued | The Columbus Dispatch

The Honda Element, an Ohio-made vehicle that helped make boxy cool, will be discontinued after the 2011 model year, the automaker said yesterday. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Readers are the writers

United States

#2 Dec 4, 2010
The title of the article says "once-cool." When exactly were these things cool? Someone must have forgotten to give me the memo at the time because I ALWAYS thought they were ugly and the epitome of the opposite of cool.
hoda choda

Columbus, OH

#3 Dec 4, 2010
They were cool enough for Toyota (Scion) and Kia to copy the look, although in a smaller size. The Element had several problems early (the cracking windshields, for one); worse they're damned noisy inside, the model was doomed from the start. And Honda can't ignore the CR-V sales numbers.

So tough nuts, Element... join the Aztek on the sidelines of Team Ugly.
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#4 Dec 4, 2010
If by 'cool' you mean gay, then yeah....
Enzyte Bob

Columbus, OH

#6 Dec 4, 2010
Everything Honda makes seems to be on either a Civic Platform or an Accord platform. The first Odyssey was an Accord proportioned like a minivan. Now tell me the Pilot isn't just an Odyssey made to look like an SUV? Basically, Honda makes just 2 or 3 cars, with different exterior packaging options.
Kevin

Concord, NC

#7 Dec 4, 2010
Once cool? The Element was NEVER cool.
what happened

Westerville, OH

#9 Dec 4, 2010
This is what happened to the Element. Honda designed/built it for 20-somethings. That lasted for about 6 months. Nobody at Honda told the Hippie Era boomers that this wasn't their car but the Hippie throwbacks thought it WAS for them. So...once the 20-somethings saw a bunch of 50-somethings driving the Element it was the kiss of death. Totally uncool to be driving mommy and daddy's car!
end of story

Lancaster, OH

#10 Dec 4, 2010
What happened is termed market saturation.
Every homosexual who wanted one has already bought one.
Wait what

Columbus, OH

#12 Dec 4, 2010
Enzyte Bob wrote:
Basically, Honda makes just 2 or 3 cars, with different exterior packaging options.
That can be said of almost all automakers. Platform sharing is an essential cost-savings measure.
Wait what

Columbus, OH

#13 Dec 4, 2010
[QUOTE who="what happened"So...once the 20-somethings saw a bunch of 50-somethings driving the Element it was the kiss of death. Totally uncool to be driving mommy and daddy's car![/QUOTE]

The British show Top Gear took the Element to show to seniors.

Apparently in England, Honda has a reputation as appealing only to pensioners. Just about everyone in this senior center they went to drove a Honda.

Enzyte Bob

Columbus, OH

#14 Dec 4, 2010
Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
That can be said of almost all automakers. Platform sharing is an essential cost-savings measure.
It's not as obvious with other car makers and there are more varieties. I mean, a Pilot is a Ridgeline is an Odyssey is an MDX? They all ride pretty much the same, too. I think that's one of the reasons the Acura TL (apart from being ugly) has never sold. There's really not much difference in the driving experience between the two cars. I know - I have a TL.
Wait what

Columbus, OH

#15 Dec 5, 2010
Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
There's really not much difference in the driving experience between the two cars. I know - I have a TL.
That's purposeful though. Honda goes out of its way to make driving a Honda a consistent experience from one car to another.

Some people think that's great--it's a good driving experience which is predictable. Others think it's uncreative and boring--an inoffensive design intended to appeal to the average.

They're both right.
Enzyte Bob

Columbus, OH

#16 Dec 5, 2010
Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
That's purposeful though. Honda goes out of its way to make driving a Honda a consistent experience from one car to another.
Some people think that's great--it's a good driving experience which is predictable. Others think it's uncreative and boring--an inoffensive design intended to appeal to the average.
They're both right.
My only point is that when a TL is literally nothing more than an Accord with a just few more gadgets, is it any wonder why the Acura line has never sold well? That's what GM got in trouble for. Toyota/Lexus does a far better job at differentiating things at least between the Toyota line and the Lexus line.

I still drive an '02 TL I bought new. Although the current Accord has grown on me, it feels bulbous when you drive it. I wish they would get back to the smart, crisp designs they had in the past.
John Blutarsky

Columbus, OH

#17 Dec 6, 2010
hoda choda wrote:
They were cool enough for Toyota (Scion) and Kia to copy the look, although in a smaller size. The Element had several problems early (the cracking windshields, for one); worse they're damned noisy inside, the model was doomed from the start. And Honda can't ignore the CR-V sales numbers.
So tough nuts, Element... join the Aztek on the sidelines of Team Ugly.
These things made the Chrysler K-car line look aerodynamic.
animal control

Howard, OH

#18 Dec 6, 2010
They should have called it the "Hog Helmet"..Baby!
http://www.hoghelmet.com/fanday2009randomfans...
Jim

Coral Gables, FL

#19 Dec 9, 2010
the honda element is cool! I love mine...i can fit my two mountain bikes, a road bike and equipment in the back with plenty of room to spare and if i want, throw my surfboard on top...once more, its really easy to clean, for any endurance athlete the honda element is the best car out there. YOu fools are just lazy fat dumbass douchebags...cant help you there, i cannot help you get a life either, i can however find you and fight you in your front yard, give me your address
John Blutarsky

Columbus, OH

#20 Dec 9, 2010
Jim wrote:
the honda element is cool! I love mine...i can fit my two mountain bikes, a road bike and equipment in the back with plenty of room to spare and if i want, throw my surfboard on top...once more, its really easy to clean, for any endurance athlete the honda element is the best car out there. YOu fools are just lazy fat **** douchebags...cant help you there, i cannot help you get a life either, i can however find you and fight you in your front yard, give me your address
I'll bet your boyfriend likes it, too.
liner

Hicksville, NY

#21 Dec 9, 2010
Jim wrote:
the honda element is cool! I love mine...i can fit my two mountain bikes, a road bike and equipment in the back with plenty of room to spare and if i want, throw my surfboard on top...once more, its really easy to clean, for any endurance athlete the honda element is the best car out there. YOu fools are just lazy fat dumbass douchebags...cant help you there, i cannot help you get a life either, i can however find you and fight you in your front yard, give me your address
Bet you have to take off the training wheels first, don't you?
ManlyAuto

Clarkesville, GA

#22 Dec 10, 2010
I have a neighbor who greatly loves his Element. It's got enough room for all his kids' sports gear and plenty of room for his family too. So I think the market was just too small for something boxy. www.manlyhyundai.com
animal control

Howard, OH

#23 Dec 11, 2010
My friends wife bought a new one, she knows nothing about autos (or cooking) but works at the honda factory. Within' 2 months the got rid of it, said it was just to cheaply put togther that they did not want to drive it.
Targeting the young americans with a $20K+ new auto that gets just 20mpg was not a good idea at all.
Honda got to where they have to many models & not enough ignorant customers.

GO HOGS..........Baby!
cold black coffee

Reynoldsburg, OH

#24 Dec 11, 2010
Jim wrote:
... i can however find you and fight you in your front yard, give me your address
Wait, you can find me but I have to give you my address first? If you were half as fierce as you think you are you could find me without me telling you where to look.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

East Liberty Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr tranpsosition 31,050
OH Who do you support for Treasurer in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Sep 13 They cannot kill ... 191
Murder suspect: 'A quiet country kid'Murder sus... Sep 6 blacker than onyx 1
Car deer accident east of Bellefontaine Aug 20 iNOEwattEWEdidLAS... 2
OH Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Ohio in 2... (Oct '10) Aug '14 gary 2,230
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Jul '14 They cannot kill ... 230
OH Who do you support for Secretary of State in Oh... (Oct '10) Jun '14 Bobby Nye 178
•••
•••
•••

East Liberty Jobs

•••
•••
•••

East Liberty People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

East Liberty News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in East Liberty