Businesses, schools, officials blast ...

Businesses, schools, officials blast MTA payroll aid

There are 69 comments on the Newsday story from May 5, 2009, titled Businesses, schools, officials blast MTA payroll aid. In it, Newsday reports that:

School districts, businesses and planning officials Tuesday lambasted a proposal to help bail out the Metropolitan Transportation Authority by imposing a payroll tax on employers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Outrage

New York, NY

#69 May 6, 2009
foolzrushin wrote:
<quoted text>
Can we have him back, please?
No, but come Nov. we could vote for Andrew

Since: Apr 09

New York, NY

#70 May 6, 2009
Outrage wrote:
<quoted text>
No, but come Nov. we could vote for Andrew
I'd rather vote for Rudy.
Long Island Taxpayer

Brooklyn, NY

#72 May 6, 2009
Pfluger the Union Monkey wrote:
Oh man, this is fantastic comedy.
The MTA is proposing to tax school districts, towns, counties, water districts, etc.
I think the schools should retaliate, and put property taxes on any railroad tracks that cross thru their boundaries!
Let the taxing wars commence. Release the hounds!!!
The MTA is taxing school districts in the form of a payroll tax. The payroll tax was a Paterson idea and then the liberal senators and assembly men and women caved into this idiot.
Pfluger the Union Monkey

Needham, MA

#73 May 6, 2009
foolzrushin wrote:
<quoted text>
Can we have him back, please?
In all seriousness, I don't think he'd be doing any better. I don't think the answer to NY's budget and economic problems is that the wrong guy is governor. The problems have been mounting for years, and years and years.

Pataki was horrible, but benefitted from an up economy during the 90s boom, and skyrocketing Personal income taxes. He pushed spending way, way up and made some costly long term decisions. The STAR program was popular, obvioulsy, but no expense cuts were ever instituted to fund it. The unions AND the taxpayers were happy back then.

Spitzer --too short in office to have much of an impact, but I thought he was a maniac as AG, an unguided missle who rarely went to court, preferring to intimidate people and embarass them with the power of his office.

Mario Cuomo -- a complete liberal who really ratcheted up the spending (and you can thank him in large part for high Lipa rates today)

Hugh Carey, all the way back.....

It worked while most people were working and paying in. But when 1/5 of the state is now on Medicaid, cops and teachers earn over $100K per year, and get outrageous benefits and pensions on top of it, its no wonder than when the economy breaks and tax receipts plummet, there is a major fiscal crisis.

What makes it worse this time is that it is very unlikely that Wall St. will just bounce back, and state and local tax collections will return to prior levels.

The fiscal/tax crisis in NY will go on for years.
Long Island Taxpayer

Brooklyn, NY

#74 May 6, 2009
Pfluger the Union Monkey wrote:
<quoted text>
In all seriousness, I don't think he'd be doing any better. I don't think the answer to NY's budget and economic problems is that the wrong guy is governor. The problems have been mounting for years, and years and years.
Pataki was horrible, but benefitted from an up economy during the 90s boom, and skyrocketing Personal income taxes. He pushed spending way, way up and made some costly long term decisions. The STAR program was popular, obvioulsy, but no expense cuts were ever instituted to fund it. The unions AND the taxpayers were happy back then.
Spitzer --too short in office to have much of an impact, but I thought he was a maniac as AG, an unguided missle who rarely went to court, preferring to intimidate people and embarass them with the power of his office.
Mario Cuomo -- a complete liberal who really ratcheted up the spending (and you can thank him in large part for high Lipa rates today)
Hugh Carey, all the way back.....
It worked while most people were working and paying in. But when 1/5 of the state is now on Medicaid, cops and teachers earn over $100K per year, and get outrageous benefits and pensions on top of it, its no wonder than when the economy breaks and tax receipts plummet, there is a major fiscal crisis.
What makes it worse this time is that it is very unlikely that Wall St. will just bounce back, and state and local tax collections will return to prior levels.
The fiscal/tax crisis in NY will go on for years.
MTA has major financial issues so the first thing they need to do is cut expense which they haven't done. On LI you could have started by eliminating the LIRR West hempstead branch, there is already a brahc that goes to Hempstead. riders on tis branch can pickup the train in Hempstead, Lynbrook or Valley Stream with very littel effort.

Subway and bus lines that do not have high ridership should have their schedules reduced. possibly to the point of only operating in the morning and late afternoon and early evening.

All subway, LIRR and Metro-North sopts that have low ridership should be eliminated or schedules reduced.

Let the MTA sell off some of the real estate holdings to raise funds.

I'd be interested to see the expense reports submitted by the board members of the MTA. I bet there are some pretty expensive lunches, dinners, and trips that the tax payers are paying for.

The MTA didn't really make any effort to get some givebacks from the unions. At least Nassau and Suffolk county managed to get some givebacks.

MTA should charge all riders. MTA workers ride for free, police and firemen also ride for free. During hard times everyone should be paying their "fare" share. I have a hard time accepting the fact that my tax money is allowing these people to ride for free.

The MTA Governor Paterson and the liberals of Albany scamed the taxpayers on this MTA bailout.

Bailing out the MTA is as bad as bailing out the banks, insurance companies and the auto industry.
Pfluger the Union Monkey

Needham, MA

#75 May 6, 2009
Long Island Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
MTA has major financial issues so the first thing they need to do is cut expense which they haven't done. On LI you could have started by eliminating the LIRR West hempstead branch, there is already a brahc that goes to Hempstead. riders on tis branch can pickup the train in Hempstead, Lynbrook or Valley Stream with very littel effort.
Subway and bus lines that do not have high ridership should have their schedules reduced. possibly to the point of only operating in the morning and late afternoon and early evening.
All subway, LIRR and Metro-North sopts that have low ridership should be eliminated or schedules reduced.
Let the MTA sell off some of the real estate holdings to raise funds.
I'd be interested to see the expense reports submitted by the board members of the MTA. I bet there are some pretty expensive lunches, dinners, and trips that the tax payers are paying for.
The MTA didn't really make any effort to get some givebacks from the unions. At least Nassau and Suffolk county managed to get some givebacks.
MTA should charge all riders. MTA workers ride for free, police and firemen also ride for free. During hard times everyone should be paying their "fare" share. I have a hard time accepting the fact that my tax money is allowing these people to ride for free.
The MTA Governor Paterson and the liberals of Albany scamed the taxpayers on this MTA bailout.
Bailing out the MTA is as bad as bailing out the banks, insurance companies and the auto industry.
Well, if you've seen me here before, you'd know that I advocate contracting out for all personnel services -- conductors, engineers, maintenance, everything.

The main problem, IMO, is out of control compensation, work rules and especially retiree benefits. That's where they spend virtually all their (rather your) money.
mac b

Bronx, NY

#76 May 6, 2009
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>
With that attitude, you can go live in a cabin in the woods and leave society. Here's why:
1 - Though you might not have a kid in school, one day a kid educated in these schools might turn out to be a doctor who treats you when you're old or a cop who protects you on your way home...or someone who might invent something you might use.
2 - Though you might not take public transport, many people who do get to jobs that infuence your life. Employees of LIPA, maybe at the mall or in industries you might not have thought of.
It's called living in a community.
But if people like you feel you need only pay taxes for only the things you THINK you use, then leave society and fend for yourself.
We must always be frugal with out taxes. But you benefit from more things than your selfish mind knows.
Jim, last time I checked nobody in the "community" was putting gas in my tank so I could get to work.
mac b

Bronx, NY

#77 May 6, 2009
Pfluger the Union Monkey wrote:
<quoted text>
In all seriousness, I don't think he'd be doing any better. I don't think the answer to NY's budget and economic problems is that the wrong guy is governor. The problems have been mounting for years, and years and years.
Pataki was horrible, but benefitted from an up economy during the 90s boom, and skyrocketing Personal income taxes. He pushed spending way, way up and made some costly long term decisions. The STAR program was popular, obvioulsy, but no expense cuts were ever instituted to fund it. The unions AND the taxpayers were happy back then.
Spitzer --too short in office to have much of an impact, but I thought he was a maniac as AG, an unguided missle who rarely went to court, preferring to intimidate people and embarass them with the power of his office.
Mario Cuomo -- a complete liberal who really ratcheted up the spending (and you can thank him in large part for high Lipa rates today)
Hugh Carey, all the way back.....
It worked while most people were working and paying in. But when 1/5 of the state is now on Medicaid, cops and teachers earn over $100K per year, and get outrageous benefits and pensions on top of it, its no wonder than when the economy breaks and tax receipts plummet, there is a major fiscal crisis.
What makes it worse this time is that it is very unlikely that Wall St. will just bounce back, and state and local tax collections will return to prior levels.
The fiscal/tax crisis in NY will go on for years.
You probably have to go back to FDR or Dewey to find a good governor. The rest have been just a bunch of party hacks
Roe

Jackson, NJ

#78 May 8, 2009
Who do you think is going to pay the school payroll tax? The homeowners!!! So not only is this tax a stupid idea but again the middle class gets screwed. I guess it's time to put the Republicans back in Albany because at least our Nassau legislators were allowed to voice our concerns. Even Senator Skelos was kept out. What a shame. Wasn't this country founded because of taxation without representation.
TRUTH wrote:
While I don't like the idea of a payroll tax, the school districts are getting a taste of their own BS when it comes to taxes. The districts have been taxing residents of LI with no end in site for years, even when property values decrease they continue to raise taxes. Business are complaining that none of their employees use the MTA?? Who cares? I am single with no children yet I pay $10,000/year in school taxes. You think it matters that you don't use the MTA? Wake up!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

East Islip Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Suffolk County,N.Y. CPS,DSS (Oct '06) 2 hr trk387 387
News SAYVILLE: Armed robbery at bank (Aug '08) 7 hr mcluvin 21
News Islip Commissioner of Public Safety resigns, ci... Sat mcluvin 10
Looking for a male english bulldog to mate with... (Feb '13) Sat Danny82 91
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) Jan 20 Bruser 2,734
News The spinning zone (Feb '07) Jan 19 The truth 3
School tax dollars to FLORIDA (Mar '09) Jan 19 Enforcer 8

East Islip Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

East Islip Mortgages