Riverhead schools freeze administrators' wage hikes

Full story: Newsday

In a move aimed at addressing concerns over a worsening economy, the Riverhead school district last week froze administrators' wage increases for next year.
Comments
141 - 149 of 149 Comments Last updated Mar 27, 2009
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Since: Jul 08

South Shore of LI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

LITeacher wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL HA I job hopped because I couldn't hack the private sector? No that wasn't the case. First of all I am a MAN ha. Secondly, if you must know, my first job out of college was as a computer programmer for the New York Stock Exchange and I worked there for 2 years and was earning $41,000/year. An outsourced computer consulting firm was working at the the exchange and the manager of the group offered me a position at his company. I went from making $41k to 60k. That's why I left the NYSE. Then I went to work for a Japanese investment house after a year earning 90k and by the time I left I was earning ~110k. So within 5 years I went from 41k to 110k. Now let me guess you are going to say something negative about that huh? This practice of leaving jobs for higher paying ones is common practice in the private sector and is a huge benefit of working in it. To say that I left the private sector because I couldn't hack it is a big assumption and for your information I work for a consulting firm out of Providence Rhode Island on the side and all throughout the summer. I must be doing a good job because they keep asking me to perform work for them!
Why did I become a teacher? Because I realized that I received higher job satisfaction from teaching other people how to do things (program or networking related issues) then I did by just programming away all by my lonesome in a cubicle. I couldn't see working in a cubicle for the next 25-30 years of my life with little interaction from other people besides those introverts within my group. So through programming I found my calling, and yes it was for much less money.
Oops, I called you a "she".Sorry,

krw

Since: Apr 07

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2009

Molly is my name wrote:
<quoted text>
Many posters have said in the private sector the way to get ahead and get raises is to job hop. I haven't worked in the private sector in many years but when I did 40 years ago that was common. I changed jobs 4 times in 7 years, all to make more money.
You seem to not want to believe what she says at face value. Why is that?
You also must have misread what "she" has written in the past because "she" wrote:"First of all I am a MAN ha".

What I said was that what was written could be looked at in two ways. One being "she" liked being a teacher and the second that "she" could not handle the private sector.

Everyone who supports the teachers keeps saying if you believe the teaching is so easy you should do it and complain that it is much harder then the private sector. I pointed out that this person was a job hopper and then went into teaching. There is nothing that I said that was not true or was not originally stated by LITeacher. I was just showing how it could be interpreted differently. I guess teachers do not like different points of view.
lauski56

Coram, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2009

chitstirrer wrote:
I'd like to know how many administrators are involved in the $112,000 savings.Responsible yes,but tell us how much their raise would've been.
There is 30 Administrators in Riverhead School District .9 Asst Principals are in the HS,6 of that 9 are also Directors of subjects k-12.Director of Math etc...The Superintendent,Deputy Superintendent ,Asst to Business and Asst to Personnel are not in the Administrators Bargaining unit.The Superintendent also has amended her contract.
values

Miller Place, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2009

Judged:

LITeacher wrote:
<quoted text>
I am beginning to question your intellect. Did you read anything that I had written before? I am not complaining about what my job entails nor am I complaining about the money. What I am complaining about are people like yourself who have no clue what a good teacher actually does do throughout the day. Read above where I wrote that I left a job making $110,000/year 10 years ago to make at the time $42,000. Nobody would do that if they truly didn't have a calling to teach.
You make these broad generalizations about being "institutionalized". HA. Once again I will ask, WHAT DO YOU DO FOR A LIVING THAT HAS MADE YOU SO BITTER ABOUT LIFE? Perhaps you did what I did in the beginning of my career and went after the big money on wall street/banking and thinking that would make life so easy and joyful. Then I had to trek into the city everyday and perform work that I didn't enjoy much. My advice to you is that it is never too late to go back to school and switch careers. Go after what makes you happy.
I LOVE teaching children. What makes me ANGRY is ignorant statements about what a teachers job entails.
Bottom line is that the school taxes on Long island are too high. What do you think is the reason for this condition? Education is important but so is being able to pay your realestate taxes. Like it or not, this is going to change one way or another. Teachers can be part of the solution or part of the problem - it is up to them.
LITeacher

Hauppauge, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2009

Judged:

I am a teacher in a middle class district in Suffolk County. I personally pay $9400/year in property taxes myself and continually question the way schools are funded through the current system. I have one thing to ask of all of you here; Do you think taxes are any better outside of any other major city in this country?

I have family who live in Wheaton, Illinois which is a suburb of Chicago. Guess what, my family there pays about what I pay in property taxes. I'm sorry, I'm lying a little bit, they pay $9100/year, so they pay $300/year less.

I have family that live in suburbs outside of San Francisco, Boston, and Providence, Rhode Island. Guess what? We all pay about the same yearly property taxes. In fact, my Aunt Lil who live in Medfield Mass which is outside of Boston pays more than I do for a house 100 square feet less than my house.
LITeacher

Hauppauge, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2009

Judged:

Let me continue....Now many people on Long Island compare the taxes elsewhere in the country like in Florida or North Carolina. OK, let's talk North Carolina. I have a friend who moved to Cary, NC and his taxes are much cheaper than mine. Currently he pays $4300/year on a beautiful piece of property and in a much nicer and bigger house than mine. Guess what? His taxes have gone up $1000 since he moved down there (which is two years ago) and it is going to keep going up. Why? Because the more people that move down there, the more schools they need to build (oh no not that), the more cops they need, the more firemen they need, the more sanitation workers they need and yada yada yada...you get the drift here I'm sure. Before long, with all of the NY'ers moving down there the taxes in North Carlina are going to be just about or equal to what we pay here.

Between Wheaton, San Francisco, Boston, Providence, and North Carolina I'll tell you what they don't have that we have plenty of here. INTEL and WESTINGHOUSE winners. Our schools are some of the best schools in the country and we have more winners and semi-finalists here on LI then those other cities put together. And to think that we all pay pretty much the same property taxes.

Last thing. Massachusetts and Rhode Island residents pay property taxes on their CARS. They pay it whenever they renew their registration. So you see, grass isn't always greener, although I do agree that something needs to be done about HOW schools are funded.

krw

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2009

Judged:

LITeacher wrote:
I am a teacher in a middle class district in Suffolk County. I personally pay $9400/year in property taxes myself and continually question the way schools are funded through the current system. I have one thing to ask of all of you here; Do you think taxes are any better outside of any other major city in this country?
I have family who live in Wheaton, Illinois which is a suburb of Chicago. Guess what, my family there pays about what I pay in property taxes. I'm sorry, I'm lying a little bit, they pay $9100/year, so they pay $300/year less.
I have family that live in suburbs outside of San Francisco, Boston, and Providence, Rhode Island. Guess what? We all pay about the same yearly property taxes. In fact, my Aunt Lil who live in Medfield Mass which is outside of Boston pays more than I do for a house 100 square feet less than my house.
I live in Raleigh, the State Capital of NC. I moved from NY. My house is newer, larger and a better bargain then any on LI. My total taxes are $2300 a year and I have 3300 sq feet 4 bedroom 2 1/2 bath house with a 3 car garage with a 1500 sq ft bonus room above it.

So yes the taxes on LI are high. Yes you pay a lot of taxes, but the difference is that by working as a teacher the majority of what you pay in taxes is so you can have a superior pension and healthcare benefits with little to no cost to you. The taxes you pay are less then what your healthcare benefits cost the employer or would cost you if you had to buy them yourself. So yes as a teacher / fireman / policeman you also pay taxes, but the benefits you receive far exceed what you pay which is not true for the majority of people who pay taxes.

krw

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2009

LITeacher wrote:
Let me continue....Now many people on Long Island compare the taxes elsewhere in the country like in Florida or North Carolina. OK, let's talk North Carolina. I have a friend who moved to Cary, NC and his taxes are much cheaper than mine. Currently he pays $4300/year on a beautiful piece of property and in a much nicer and bigger house than mine. Guess what? His taxes have gone up $1000 since he moved down there (which is two years ago) and it is going to keep going up. Why? Because the more people that move down there, the more schools they need to build (oh no not that), the more cops they need, the more firemen they need, the more sanitation workers they need and yada yada yada...you get the drift here I'm sure. Before long, with all of the NY'ers moving down there the taxes in North Carlina are going to be just about or equal to what we pay here.
Between Wheaton, San Francisco, Boston, Providence, and North Carolina I'll tell you what they don't have that we have plenty of here. INTEL and WESTINGHOUSE winners. Our schools are some of the best schools in the country and we have more winners and semi-finalists here on LI then those other cities put together. And to think that we all pay pretty much the same property taxes.
Last thing. Massachusetts and Rhode Island residents pay property taxes on their CARS. They pay it whenever they renew their registration. So you see, grass isn't always greener, although I do agree that something needs to be done about HOW schools are funded.
Just to comment about paying property taxes on a car. NC also charges personal property taxes on items like cars, boats and trailers (not mobile home)it is based upon a cars age and mileage and is charged by the county. The advantage to this is that instead of paying 7.5 - 8% sales tax when you buy the vehicle you pay 1.5%. The difference for the average person means that a car loan is not financing the additional 6 - 6.5% of the vehicles price. Instaead of the bank making the additional money on interest it is made by the county where the car operates. Because of this, I believe that this is actually a benefit, not the hinderance that you complain of.

One reason that NC's taxes are rising is due to the number of people moving to the area as others have stated. The majority of people that I know who moved here were used to paying higher taxes and that is one reason thhat taxes are going up. The point is that they will never get as high as NY's though because healthcare and pension rules for teachers / firemen and policemen are not as generous.
LITeacher

Warwick, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2009

krw wrote:
<quoted text>
I live in Raleigh, the State Capital of NC. I moved from NY. My house is newer, larger and a better bargain then any on LI. My total taxes are $2300 a year and I have 3300 sq feet 4 bedroom 2 1/2 bath house with a 3 car garage with a 1500 sq ft bonus room above it.
So yes the taxes on LI are high. Yes you pay a lot of taxes, but the difference is that by working as a teacher the majority of what you pay in taxes is so you can have a superior pension and healthcare benefits with little to no cost to you. The taxes you pay are less then what your healthcare benefits cost the employer or would cost you if you had to buy them yourself. So yes as a teacher / fireman / policeman you also pay taxes, but the benefits you receive far exceed what you pay which is not true for the majority of people who pay taxes.
I don't know where you heard that teachers don't pay for their healthcare benefits but that was back in the stone age. The last district I knew that didn't pay into health care is ironically East Islip. All district employees contribute to their healhcare. We do get pension benefits that we also pay into. The pension is in exchange for the possibility to have made millions on Wall St.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent East Islip Discussions

Search the East Islip Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 10 min An NFL Fan 115,024
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 14 min Ma Kettle 6,342
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) 27 min Billy O Liar 6,363
The Waterfalls (Jun '08) 2 hr Tom 86
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) 5 hr Georgia 1,314
Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 6 hr Bruser 2,257
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) 21 hr Sham Hannuty 16,777
•••
•••

East Islip News Video

•••
•••

East Islip Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

East Islip People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE