Riverhead schools freeze administrato...

Riverhead schools freeze administrators' wage hikes

There are 149 comments on the Newsday story from Feb 2, 2009, titled Riverhead schools freeze administrators' wage hikes. In it, Newsday reports that:

In a move aimed at addressing concerns over a worsening economy, the Riverhead school district last week froze administrators' wage increases for next year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
On LI

United States

#1 Feb 2, 2009
It's too bad that it took an economy this bad to begin freezing school-related salaries!
Out of Balance

Rocky Point, NY

#2 Feb 2, 2009
People are losing thier jobs all around Long Island. It is time for the greedy public employees to stop grabbing for our wallets. There is no more money! Sit down and shut up and maybe we'll forget about you. Keep grabbing and there will be a revolution!
Agent Gibbs

Port Washington, NY

#3 Feb 2, 2009
Good first move Scricca.
Now how about trimming the fat by cutting the brass?
Too many vice principals in the high school and that DWI Zimbler all need to go.
Pliny

Brooklyn, NY

#4 Feb 2, 2009
Good start! But it's only a start. And to all of Long Island's public school districts, learn this word....and learn it well: AUSTERITY.

Since: Dec 08

Montvale, NJ

#5 Feb 2, 2009
I'd like to know how many administrators are involved in the $112,000 savings.Responsible yes,but tell us how much their raise would've been.
larry

Brooklyn, NY

#6 Feb 2, 2009
is Scricca related to the Ann/Anne/Anna Scricca who is a partner in that Ingerman Smith Law firm that started the pension scandal?
Pearls before Swine

White Plains, NY

#7 Feb 2, 2009
howsa about freezing teacher salaries?
U r not so smart

Bangkok, Thailand

#8 Feb 2, 2009
Too little way too late!!!
yeah right

Bridgewater, NJ

#9 Feb 2, 2009
AUSTERITY - means cutting sports and other extracurricular activities. Teachers will always get their raise. They are greedy union memebers who don't give a crap about the kids. Don't get me wrong unions have their place, but NOT in a school. I really think school budgets should be voted on in an itemized fashion. Vote on teacher raises, vote on administrator raises, vote on building upgrades/updates, vote on technology equipment, etc.
Teachers are doing nothing these days for our kids since they have tenure, and they still get a raise - wake up Long Island........
lauski56

Coram, NY

#10 Feb 2, 2009
Agent Gibbs wrote:
Good first move Scricca.
Now how about trimming the fat by cutting the brass?
Too many vice principals in the high school and that DWI Zimbler all need to go.
In order for a freeze or give back contrats must be opened.The word negotiation was used at the school board meeting of last week by the superintendent.When give backs or freezes happen contracts open.
Think about it what did they get for giving back?
As for the Top Admin...The district just hired 6 Dept heads that cost us close to a million when you add it all up.
Please Riverhead residents if you have riverhead cable watch the meetings on channel 22 they are played on mon,wed and sat 11am and 7pm.Happy viewing!
RIverhead

Coram, NY

#11 Feb 2, 2009
"
Teachers are doing nothing these days for our kids since they have tenure, and they still get a raise - wake up Long Island"
Not all teachers fit into this category. Please be respectful for those who do care.

krw

Since: Apr 07

Raleigh, NC

#12 Feb 2, 2009
What will happen is that the administrators will be allowed to take the loss of a raise off their taxes. The way that it is written will make all the difference. Is it being written that when the economy gets better their raises will be retroactive? Will they go to court at a later time to get the back raise and then settle out of court for an undisclosed amount, plus attorney fees?
yeah right

Bridgewater, NJ

#13 Feb 2, 2009
RIverhead wrote:
"
Teachers are doing nothing these days for our kids since they have tenure, and they still get a raise - wake up Long Island"
Not all teachers fit into this category. Please be respectful for those who do care.
give me a break.... today maybe 2% of teachers care about teaching and making a difference in the kids lives... the others are looking to make a difference in their own lives, lots of money, summers off...woohoo
NOFO

Coram, NY

#14 Feb 2, 2009
Teachers and unions = gang mentality. Entitlement, tenure and undeserved raises need to go. Give bonuses to the deserving teachers who produce and who are not on cruise control. Competion is a great motivator. Health care and insurance have had go through many changes, the business of education is next. Wake up teachers, and look around you, try working in the real world. Can anyone say Voucher?

Since: Jul 08

South Shore of LI

#15 Feb 2, 2009
chitstirrer wrote:
I'd like to know how many administrators are involved in the $112,000 savings.Responsible yes,but tell us how much their raise would've been.
The article clearly said 3.5% raise.

Since: Jul 08

South Shore of LI

#16 Feb 2, 2009
krw wrote:
What will happen is that the administrators will be allowed to take the loss of a raise off their taxes. The way that it is written will make all the difference. Is it being written that when the economy gets better their raises will be retroactive? Will they go to court at a later time to get the back raise and then settle out of court for an undisclosed amount, plus attorney fees?
How is not getting a raise deductible on their income tax? It's not a business loss, it's not a medical deduction, it's not a contribution to charity, it's not anything I can think of on Schedule A.

krw

Since: Apr 07

Raleigh, NC

#17 Feb 2, 2009
Molly is my name wrote:
<quoted text>
How is not getting a raise deductible on their income tax? It's not a business loss, it's not a medical deduction, it's not a contribution to charity, it's not anything I can think of on Schedule A.
It all depends how their give back is written.
Richard

Holtsville, NY

#18 Feb 2, 2009
Surprising that a former teacher's union president is on the school board now. Sounds like a huge conflict of interest to me. And it is actually very very common! Oh yeah but it is legal. The whole thing is a joke.
Long Island Gal

Watertown, CT

#19 Feb 2, 2009
Every school district on Long Island needs to FREEZE teachers and administrators pay for the next FIVE years to bring their salaries to reasonable pay for the cost of living on Long Island. Then and only then will we get some relief from our over burdoning taxes. The time is NOW. SAVE LONG ISLAND
liner

Hicksville, NY

#20 Feb 2, 2009
krw wrote:
I'm not an accountant, but how do you deduct from your taxes a raise you didn't get? Is it because it was in your employment contract? Just curious.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

East Islip Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News West Islip Little League Cleans Up Fields Flood... (Mar '13) Sun Proud baseball Dad 8
Review: Law Firm of Mark S. Eghrari & Associate... (Jun '12) May 30 GBarbara 37
Review: Sinderella's Sinderella's May 29 Lilsissy 1
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) May 29 patrick m 1,384
News The Artist's Fall Collection (Feb '08) May 28 robkail 22
News Retired Teacher From Holbrook Arrested For Chil... (Jan '13) May 28 Happy not 3
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) May 27 cheer the f up 121,918
More from around the web

East Islip People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]