Hit-and-run driver kills woman on Lon...

Hit-and-run driver kills woman on Long Island

There are 37 comments on the Newsday story from Mar 9, 2009, titled Hit-and-run driver kills woman on Long Island. In it, Newsday reports that:

Suffolk County police have arrested a 25-year-old woman in connection with the hit-and-run death of a pedestrian in East Islip .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
KJH

Saratoga Springs, NY

#26 Mar 26, 2009
RRM wrote:
yea ok.....she DID NOT have her lights on get the facts straight! and she turned herself in almost 24 hours after the accident .... hmmmmmm.....cant you sober up by then......and again what kind of person does not stop? that is a well lite area there are no deers over there ...... so PLEASE GIVE IT UP!
Dude... your 'source' was drunk ...and do get your facts even if she didn't turn her lights 'on'-on that point I don't know - she has running lights! use your brain! She turned herself in after she heard about it. I'm impressed she watched the news - when I was in college I never watched the news! I don't know about the lighting in that area I have heard conflicting things on that note. I was under the understanding it was NOT a well lit area at all. And despite your knowledge of wildlife - there are deer everywhere. For most of New York hitting as a deer is a regular occurrence. And I will not give it up. I plan on exercising my right of free speech. I would like for people to realize and acknowledge that there is always more than 1 side to every story.
RRM

AOL

#27 Mar 27, 2009
HA there are not deer over there I have lived over there......it is very populated....although there are deer on long island you really do not see any over there.....as far as her "running lights" they were not on and she did not dispute that fact do dude she was drunk not my source! And if she watched the news she would have heard it early in the am not at 11pm!!!!!! Obviously from all the other posts on here I do not need to fight for Heather seems like everyone knows the truth! If you have never been over there then you should shut your mouth!!!!! The gas station where Heathers lifeless body was carried so 911 could be called lights everything up....plus all the other lights over there......there is also the fact that heather was not one of those people who wore dark clothes....have you ever seen a pink deer? Heather was also only 5ft tall.....and 100lbs so I really dont think that I have ever seen a deer in pink or any other bright color that matches that description! BROOKE NEEDS TO LOOK AT HERSELF EVERYDAY ... and LIVE with what she did......Heather was not given medical attention right away...her body had to be moved......and then the police called...if this so called great girl would have stopped and had her daytime running lights on so other cars would have seen someone was in the road that never would have happened and 911 could have been called from the scene! Lady your argument is stupid and pointless and is falling on deaf ears! NOONE is agreeing with you so we can keep this going for the next 5 years but the fact remains, a decent, humane person would stop to see what they hit....and thats just a fact, so as far as i see it the victims in this case are the friends and family of Heather, a girl killed at 25 years of age! Yes she was wrong for crossing a highway I will give you that, but who in their right mind is driving with NO LIGHTS ON at 3:50am and does not stop to see the damage they have caused. Her mother has to wake up everyday knowing that she will never see her youngest daughter ever again, never hear her laugh, never see her smile or have a wedding or children.....that is the tragedy in all of this not brooke.
RRM

AOL

#28 Mar 27, 2009

“Slappy X. Sanchez, Esq.”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#29 Mar 27, 2009
RRM wrote:
HA there are not deer over there I have lived over there......it is very populated....although there are deer on long island you really do not see any over there.....as far as her "running lights" they were not on and she did not dispute that fact do dude she was drunk not my source! And if she watched the news she would have heard it early in the am not at 11pm!!!!!! Obviously from all the other posts on here I do not need to fight for Heather seems like everyone knows the truth! If you have never been over there then you should shut your mouth!!!!! The gas station where Heathers lifeless body was carried so 911 could be called lights everything up....plus all the other lights over there......there is also the fact that heather was not one of those people who wore dark clothes....have you ever seen a pink deer? Heather was also only 5ft tall.....and 100lbs so I really dont think that I have ever seen a deer in pink or any other bright color that matches that description! BROOKE NEEDS TO LOOK AT HERSELF EVERYDAY ... and LIVE with what she did......Heather was not given medical attention right away...her body had to be moved......and then the police called...if this so called great girl would have stopped and had her daytime running lights on so other cars would have seen someone was in the road that never would have happened and 911 could have been called from the scene! Lady your argument is stupid and pointless and is falling on deaf ears! NOONE is agreeing with you so we can keep this going for the next 5 years but the fact remains, a decent, humane person would stop to see what they hit....and thats just a fact, so as far as i see it the victims in this case are the friends and family of Heather, a girl killed at 25 years of age! Yes she was wrong for crossing a highway I will give you that, but who in their right mind is driving with NO LIGHTS ON at 3:50am and does not stop to see the damage they have caused. Her mother has to wake up everyday knowing that she will never see her youngest daughter ever again, never hear her laugh, never see her smile or have a wedding or children.....that is the tragedy in all of this not brooke.
Ever hear of Connetquot State Park, genius?

“Slappy X. Sanchez, Esq.”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#30 Mar 27, 2009
RRM wrote:
HA there are not deer over there I have lived over there......it is very populated....although there are deer on long island you really do not see any over there.....as far as her "running lights" they were not on and she did not dispute that fact do dude she was drunk not my source! And if she watched the news she would have heard it early in the am not at 11pm!!!!!! Obviously from all the other posts on here I do not need to fight for Heather seems like everyone knows the truth! If you have never been over there then you should shut your mouth!!!!! The gas station where Heathers lifeless body was carried so 911 could be called lights everything up....plus all the other lights over there......there is also the fact that heather was not one of those people who wore dark clothes....have you ever seen a pink deer? Heather was also only 5ft tall.....and 100lbs so I really dont think that I have ever seen a deer in pink or any other bright color that matches that description! BROOKE NEEDS TO LOOK AT HERSELF EVERYDAY ... and LIVE with what she did......Heather was not given medical attention right away...her body had to be moved......and then the police called...if this so called great girl would have stopped and had her daytime running lights on so other cars would have seen someone was in the road that never would have happened and 911 could have been called from the scene! Lady your argument is stupid and pointless and is falling on deaf ears! NOONE is agreeing with you so we can keep this going for the next 5 years but the fact remains, a decent, humane person would stop to see what they hit....and thats just a fact, so as far as i see it the victims in this case are the friends and family of Heather, a girl killed at 25 years of age! Yes she was wrong for crossing a highway I will give you that, but who in their right mind is driving with NO LIGHTS ON at 3:50am and does not stop to see the damage they have caused. Her mother has to wake up everyday knowing that she will never see her youngest daughter ever again, never hear her laugh, never see her smile or have a wedding or children.....that is the tragedy in all of this not brooke.
So...do you think it was a good idea for Heather to try to cross the highway? It seems like you are putting 100% of the blame on the driver (who was wrong, absolutely), and 0% of the blame on the drunk girl who chose to run across Sunrise Highway at night. I'd say the fault is about 50/50 here.
RRM

AOL

#32 Mar 27, 2009
DID YOU READ WHAT I WROTE IN A PREVIOUS POST?.....HEATHER HAD NO BUSINESS CROSSING SUNRISE HIGHWAY......THAT IS WHERE SHE IS AT FAULT BUT I DO NOT THINK ANYONE SHOULD FEEL BAD FOR THE GIRL WHO HIT HER......SHE DIDNT EVEN STOP! YOU WOULD KNOW IF YOU HIT A DEER!
RRM

AOL

#33 Mar 27, 2009
AND WHEN IS THE LAST TIME YOU SAW A DEER NEAR EXIT 46 ON SUNRISE? COME ON .....

“Slappy X. Sanchez, Esq.”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#34 Mar 27, 2009
RRM wrote:
DID YOU READ WHAT I WROTE IN A PREVIOUS POST?.....HEATHER HAD NO BUSINESS CROSSING SUNRISE HIGHWAY......THAT IS WHERE SHE IS AT FAULT BUT I DO NOT THINK ANYONE SHOULD FEEL BAD FOR THE GIRL WHO HIT HER......SHE DIDNT EVEN STOP! YOU WOULD KNOW IF YOU HIT A DEER!
Simmer down and take the caps lock off. You're coming off like a moron.
RRM

AOL

#35 Mar 27, 2009
I CANT TAKE THE CAPS OFF THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE KEYBOARD! AND WHATS WITH THE NAME CALLING IS THERE A NEED?
SLAP CHOP

Matthews, NC

#36 Mar 27, 2009
RRM wrote:
AND WHEN IS THE LAST TIME YOU SAW A DEER NEAR EXIT 46 ON SUNRISE? COME ON .....
There was a two legged dear that didn't make it. You would think it would have more brains than the four legged ones.

“Slappy X. Sanchez, Esq.”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#37 Mar 27, 2009
RRM wrote:
I CANT TAKE THE CAPS OFF THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE KEYBOARD! AND WHATS WITH THE NAME CALLING IS THERE A NEED?
I didn't call you a moron, I said you were coming off like one. Please get a new keyboard, or call tech support.
kjh

Saratoga Springs, NY

#38 Mar 28, 2009
RRM wrote:
HA there are not deer over there I have lived over there......it is very populated....although there are deer on long island you really do not see any over there.....as far as her "running lights" they were not on and she did not dispute that fact do dude she was drunk not my source! And if she watched the news she would have heard it early in the am not at 11pm!!!!!! Obviously from all the other posts on here I do not need to fight for Heather seems like everyone knows the truth! If you have never been over there then you should shut your mouth!!!!! The gas station where Heathers lifeless body was carried so 911 could be called lights everything up....plus all the other lights over there......there is also the fact that heather was not one of those people who wore dark clothes....have you ever seen a pink deer? Heather was also only 5ft tall.....and 100lbs so I really dont think that I have ever seen a deer in pink or any other bright color that matches that description! BROOKE NEEDS TO LOOK AT HERSELF EVERYDAY ... and LIVE with what she did......Heather was not given medical attention right away...her body had to be moved......and then the police called...if this so called great girl would have stopped and had her daytime running lights on so other cars would have seen someone was in the road that never would have happened and 911 could have been called from the scene! Lady your argument is stupid and pointless and is falling on deaf ears! NOONE is agreeing with you so we can keep this going for the next 5 years but the fact remains, a decent, humane person would stop to see what they hit....and thats just a fact, so as far as i see it the victims in this case are the friends and family of Heather, a girl killed at 25 years of age! Yes she was wrong for crossing a highway I will give you that, but who in their right mind is driving with NO LIGHTS ON at 3:50am and does not stop to see the damage they have caused. Her mother has to wake up everyday knowing that she will never see her youngest daughter ever again, never hear her laugh, never see her smile or have a wedding or children.....that is the tragedy in all of this not brooke.
BLAH BLAH BLAH so many words. There are deer everywhere. You don't turn running lights on, they just simply are on. And you can't have it both ways if it is so well lit why does it matter if she had lights on or not? She did see the news - who knows at what time... 1000pm? I don't know. She is 25. I'm in my 30's and just started watching the news. Brooke does need to look at herself every day, I can't imagine living with that. Perhaps this is punishment enough. If Brooke hadn't left and Heather still dies would it still be her fault? Here's a dramatic twist (t.v. movie material-or better yet General Hospital) what if Brooke actually did hit a deer and someone else who didn't have lights on hit her? That's the ending I'm hoping for. At least Brooke wouldn't have to live with the reality of all of this for the rest of her life. AAAHHHHHHHH I won't give up on that.......... this is all a very sad situation.
kjh

Saratoga Springs, NY

#39 Mar 28, 2009
RRM you seem to be a rather angry person or perhaps its grief? Maybe get a little help....?(Not meant in a bad way...in a concerned one....)
RRM

AOL

#40 Mar 30, 2009
the lights matter because they should have been on, could have been an error with the car, the lights could have blew, either way from the police reports they were NOT on, the point of her not stopping is what is wrong. Even if she would have stopped and heather still died at least you could say seh did the decent thing. That is the part that is so hard to deal with, the fact that she just kept going! It would have been nice to stop so you could see the damamge you caused ... don ya think? I am not an angry just dont understand how you do not see the obvious! I am a firm believer that when its your time its your time, but I am also a firm believer in doing the right thing and by leaving Brooke did not do the right thing, and I am sorry I do not feel bad for her.
kjh

Saratoga Springs, NY

#42 Apr 16, 2009
See now that is a more reasonable response. I think it was a very naive thing that Brooke did by leaving, that doesn't mean she should be banned to hell and have no sympathy. As I've said, there are many victims with this.
casey

AOL

#43 Apr 20, 2009
brooke should have her license taken away and be given some kind of jail time! she was wrong and should have had her lights on. You can say she has daytime running lights but I do as well I also have the option to turn them off, i drive an elantra ..... so she could have turned them off during the day and was wayyy tooo drunk to notice they werent on....either way she should be in serious trouble for leaving the scene!

RIP Heather
gmaty

Clifton, NJ

#44 Jan 21, 2014
This girl died tragically. I know this family for 50 years. So sad.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

East Islip Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for a male english bulldog to mate with... (Feb '13) 17 hr Genesis 96
Lord jesus comfort us with your holy ghost 19 hr Hank Hanegraaff 1
Hookups in sayville (Jul '16) 19 hr Hank Hanegraaff 4
News Guardian Angels to expand on LI to fight gang '... May 26 tee143 1
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) May 26 Van Buren St Guy 1,456
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) May 25 DENG 121,924
News Twist in Tom Croci's path to war zone May 25 Go to HELL 2

East Islip Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

East Islip Mortgages