Volunteer firefighters blast Cuomo consolidation bill

Full story: Newsday 328
Volunteer firefighters are barraging lawmakers with complaints about a bill from state Attorney General Andrew Cuomo to streamline consolidation of fire districts and other local governments. Full Story
First Prev
of 17
Next Last
Lisa

Bronx, NY

#329 Jul 14, 2009
Just Saying wrote:
<quoted text>You can request whoever you want if you're conscious, but the dispatcher will likely send the nearest available unit anyway. If you're unconscious, you won't know and won't care who comes to save you.
Police ambulance or private works just fine....close the firehouses!
Just Saying

United States

#330 Jul 17, 2009
Lisa wrote:
<quoted text>
Police ambulance or private works just fine....close the firehouses!
Did you read about the 17 year old volunteer firefighter from Great Neck, who while returning home from vacation performed CPR on a 75 year old man who collapsed at an airport in Florida? He not only helped save this man's life, but this was at least the 5th time he has performed CPR, and also not the first time he helped save a life. Whatever happened to make you so angry towards volunteers, you have to acknowledge their accomplishments, and give them credit when they deserve it.
Lisa

Bronx, NY

#331 Jul 21, 2009
Just Saying wrote:
<quoted text>Did you read about the 17 year old volunteer firefighter from Great Neck, who while returning home from vacation performed CPR on a 75 year old man who collapsed at an airport in Florida? He not only helped save this man's life, but this was at least the 5th time he has performed CPR, and also not the first time he helped save a life. Whatever happened to make you so angry towards volunteers, you have to acknowledge their accomplishments, and give them credit when they deserve it.
Big deal...people save others everyday. No excuse to have too many firehouses taxing the taxpayers to death. Lets get rid of the pension benefit for vollies. See how many quit the next day....fakes!
Village Supporter

New Hyde Park, NY

#332 Jul 22, 2009
Ahh Lisa... my favorite....

Hubby hasn't come home from the firehouse yet? I don't think he will like the bills you get from a Private or PD ambulance...
yashum

Lindenhurst, NY

#333 Jul 23, 2009
icisin wrote:
One countywide school district, one countywide library district, one countywide fire department.
And watch the new costs for paid firemen at all levels and the expenses for training all the new hires. I believe many volunteer firefighters are off duty NYFD. And, most are over the hire age for a new mucicipal employee.
baddabing

Holbrook, NY

#334 Jul 23, 2009
sounds like he struck a nerve. Let's see if he has the cojones to follow through with it. My guess would be not. Another soundbite from spineless politician that will cave to political pressure.
Just Saying

United States

#335 Jul 24, 2009
Lisa wrote:
<quoted text>
Big deal...people save others everyday. No excuse to have too many firehouses taxing the taxpayers to death. Lets get rid of the pension benefit for vollies. See how many quit the next day....fakes!
How much of your tax bill goes towards fire protection? I live in Nassau County, and I checked, and it pales in comparison with everything else, especially school taxes. From what I understand, the pension isn't much anyway, and I doubt anyone becomes a volunteer just for that, nor can they live on it.

Logic would also dictate that the cost of a paid fire department would be enormous, because the biggest part of a paid fire department's budget (probably over 90%) goes for personnel costs, such as salaries and benefits, not for apparatus and equipment. With volunteers, you don't pay those costs, which on Long Island would likely amount to at least $100,000 per firefighter, for salary, health and life insurance, medical bills, disability and pension payments, etc. You have some really strong negative views towards volunteers, but your views seem more emotional than anything else. Did you personally have a bad experience with a volunteer firefighter, which colors your thinking on this issue?
Wannabe FDNY

Bellmore, NY

#336 Aug 24, 2010
Have you ever seen the multi-million dollar firehouses ALL over Long Island that are so over the top than what's needed? The beautiful hand-carved oak bars, gorgeous leather couches and recliners, plasma TV's... The brutally expensive equipment purchased by taxpayers, many of it way over the top in excess of what is needed?

I could go on and on, but it's not worth my time.

Few eeeks ago ,many ya ho ghetto white trash Vollies FD had their installation dinner.

It cost well over $100,000 for ONE NIGHT. All paid for by the taxpayer. That's OK by everyone?

Not to mention twelve LI firehouses have antique vehicles for parades that cost a fortune, and some firehouses own race cars race fire trucks...it is beyond belief.

I was in a few that had Thermador stoves, Viking Refrigerators, 6-ice machines and professional Bars with beer taps.

Volunteer bad apples...what do you and your fellow vollies do to reign in some of these morons that give ALL of you a bad name???

Lets get Paid fire departs through-out Long Island we will save Tax $

The LI Volly Fire depts are for wanna be FDNY who were to weak and dumb to pass the FDNY exam!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 17
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

East Islip Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 29 min An NFL Fan 119,161
i want the old brentwood back (Apr '07) 1 hr medioguarddia 1,347
Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 4 hr Bruser 2,344
Review: Airport Transportation Nov 20 Courtney Galler 2
Islip Tax Hike Nov 20 EJP 1
Adopting older kids: heavenly (Dec '06) Nov 19 edlacinski 4
Jennifer Poppiti, Hauppauge Middle School teach... Nov 17 Hauppauge parent 7

East Islip News Video

East Islip Dating
Find my Match