Four-car accident kills Lindenhurst man

Full story: Newsday

A chain-reaction four-car accident left a 20-year-old man from Lindenhurst dead and caused the closure of the Southern State Parkway for four hours Tuesday at Route 111, New York State Police said.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of106
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
BUCKLE UP

Bethpage, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2007

Judged:

SUV + old man = very dangerous
SUV + woman = even worse
SUV + soccer mom + cell phone = near death for all who get too close

I want to get myself an old school Hummer just so I can survive riding on the roads with all these bone heads in SUV's.
Brian

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2007

I def agree. It is coming to the point that people are buying the most obnoxious SUV's just because they can afford them. Most of the time the people can't see over the steering wheel. The other half of the time people are so distracted by cellphones, stereos and everything else it is a bad combination. And look who suffers, some innocent person. ENOUGH ALREADY.
Karen

Bay Shore, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2007

Southern State for some reason has become a hazard. The roads are too windy for the fast drivers that drive on them. There needs to be more state troopers patroling southern state. I get nervous driving on southern state and avoid it as much as possible.
Question

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2007

Has ANYONE checked this guys meds???! Time for a license check - up.
Linda

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2007

These trucks are killers to the person who has a regular sedan, or worse, a small car. I don't feel safe on the road anymore. Most of the people who drive these trucks and SUVs drive very aggresively once they get into these trucks. It seems their whole personality changes. Why is that??? Add to this a cell phone and you have a recipe for disaster. You will get plowed over and they won't even realize it. The people who drive these vehicles have to realize that they should take extra care in driving, rather than think they are invincible.
taxpaying resident

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2007

Why is there no guard rail on the Southern State PKWY??? These Medians with grass are not enough to ensure everyones safety. This is the second deadly accident in this area in 2 weeks. A few dollars of our taxes could have saved 2 lives in a 2 week period. Newsday, please ask our politicians why they havent stepped up to the plate on this. someone should make some noise to ensure our safety getting to and from work!
dude

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2007

has anyone seen what happened and can offer more details? whatta shame.

Since: Feb 07

Hempstead, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2007

Now this is getting a little ridiculous. Another tragic accident on the SSP in the last few weeks. The common thread in all this is that an SUV is involved. I'm sick of SUVs on the road thinking that they rule the road, which in fact, they don't!!! Most of the people who drive SUVs out there don't drive them correctly anyway. They should be banished from the SSP all together. Wait until it starts to really snow...people on this board will be even more pissed then!!
The Question

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2007

Karen wrote:
Southern State for some reason has become a hazard. The roads are too windy for the fast drivers that drive on them. There needs to be more state troopers patroling southern state. I get nervous driving on southern state and avoid it as much as possible.
Maybe too windy for a 2006 Chevy Avalanche, but not for a car. Whatever happened to the days of no TRUCKS on parkways, how did it get changed to no commercial traffic and how did the legal definition of a commercial vehicle come to be a gross wight of 10,000 lbs. or a vehicle that carries more then 15 people?
Let's get the Southern State back to NO TRUCKS - or at least a NO TRUCKS IN LEFT LANE sign. A light TRUCK is still a TRUCK. Call your local rep. today.
Nancy

New Hyde Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2007

Karen wrote:
How about people slow down!! I mean how about we don't drve 90mph! Police coverage should have nothing to do with it. Being a safe driver and wanting to get home alive should. It is not the fault of the police.
RIP

Commack, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2007

I don't like how they say 20-year-old man. 20 years old is just a kid.
Jerry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2007

Karen wrote:
Since last week after the other accident by exit 36 on SSP, I have seen more State Troopers around.
RIP JOEY

Manorville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2007

I'm friends with his little sister this is a terrible thing he was a good kid and you are all right about the trucks on the SSP and especially stupid old men driving them.
Andrew

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2007

RIP Joey, ill always remember you
JLS

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2007

BUCKLE UP wrote:
SUV + old man = very dangerous
SUV + woman = even worse
SUV + soccer mom + cell phone = near death for all who get too close
I want to get myself an old school Hummer just so I can survive riding on the roads with all these bone heads in SUV's.
i agree that SUV's with bad drivers in them are extremly dangerous. but is just a little obnoxious for you to say that women are part of the problem. how about taking a look at actual statistics on men vs. women drivers. they will CLEARLY show women are the safer ones on the road.(hence lower insurance for women drivers). i agree that SUV's should be banned from the parkways (or at least in the left lane) and that state troopers need to actually do something in LI (for all that they are paid). also people need to realize that driving so aggressivly on the highway is dangerous for everyone on teh road. doesnt everyone see that using the excuse that an SUV is protecting you is not only arrogant but also selfish? and why hasnt anyone mentioned the environment? when are people going to start caring about our childrens future not only how cool they look in their big trucks? look at the cars they drive and europe and tell me americans have a "right" to their SUVS.
RH Sayville

North Bergen, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2007

Newsday Has The Age Wrong Not 74 He is 54
And The Victim Was Speeding in and out of cars
He was an aggressive driver
Spencer

Waterbury, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2007

We'll miss you Joe.
Brent Scfhlesinger

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2007

I was friends with Joey since Birch Lane days...He was always a good, decent kid..never got into any trouble. His Mother is a wonderful woman and my heart hurts just thnking of her and Joey's siblings. I was shocked when I got the news up here at Albany this morning...there are no words to say how I, and all of Joey's friends feel.

May you RIP, Joey..I will never forget you.
Brent, Trae and the whole Schlesinger family..including my grandmother, Diane!
Trucks off SSP

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2007

Time to pull trucks off parkways. If you need to sit 5 feet above traffic, you need to stay on commercial roads. There aren't any airbags or seat belts made that level the playing field. Want people to buy smaller, more fuel effecient cars? Change the rules.
Joey

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 7, 2007

How many more lives lost on the ssp before something is done?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of106
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

East Islip News Video

•••
•••

East Islip Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

East Islip People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE