West Nile Virus
Posted in the East Hampton Forum
#1 Aug 27, 2013
Summer's swan song brings the end of outdoor parties, the beginning of tailgaating season and, the desire to maximize the last of the optimal al fresco party weather.
Unfortunately, according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC)s July 30 report, incidents of West Nile are on the rise. 35 states and the District of Columbia are reporting West Nile virus infections in people, birds, or mosquitoes. A total of 53 cases of West Nile virus disease in people, including three deaths, have been reported to CDC.
West Nile is spread only via the bite of an infected mosquito.
But, according to local West Nile and mosquito experts at Mosquito Squad, there are five things people can do in their outdoor spaces to protect themselves from mosquitoes and West Nile and extend summer soirees so people can focus on fun, not bites.
What do you think?
MOSQUITO CONTROL TIPS
1. TIP. Reduce standing water to eliminate mosquito threats, including those in childrens sandboxes, wagons or plastic toys; underneath and around downspouts, in plant saucers and dog bowls. Other hot spots include tarps, gutters, and flat roofs.
2. TOSS. Remove excess grass, leaves, firewood and clippings from yards.
3. TURN. Turn over larger yard items that could hold water like childrens portable sandboxes or plastic toys.
4. REMOVE TARPS. If tarps stretched over firewood piles, boats or sports equipment and grills arent taut, theyre holding water.
5. TREAT. Utilize a mosquito elimination barrier treatment around the home and yard. Using a barrier treatment at home reduces the need for using DEET-containing bug spray on the body. Mosquito Squads treatments eliminate up to 90% of the mosquitoes and ticks on a property.
Add your comments below
|Lost ring||Aug 22||mebecky||1|
|Trump demands Ginsburg resign for criticizing h...||Jul '16||Synque||24|
|Song about the Citiots!||Jun '16||John_Albert||1|
|Many Vietnam veterans say they support lifting ...||May '16||YourEx||10|
|Many Vietnam vets say they support lifting of a...||May '16||Bama Yankee||1|
|Billy Joel's daughter, Alexa Ray Joel, hospital... (Dec '09)||May '16||drugs thin the herd||34|
|Ina Garten (Sep '15)||Feb '16||Donna||2|
Find what you want!
Search East Hampton Forum Now
Copyright © 2016 Topix LLC