Sen. Fuschillo's DWI crusade

Full story: Newsday 11
New York now has new, tougher drunk-driving laws for those who kill with their vehicles, because state lawmakers responded to the tragedy that claimed the lives of flower girl Katie Flynn and limousine driver ... Full Story
Reckless drivers

Englewood, CO

#1 Jun 28, 2007
More people are killed each year by reckless drivers and then by drunk drivers. This is all politics.

Further, the DWI accident/alcohol related rates include accidents that involve a drunk cyclists or pedestrian who is killed riding or walking in the road by a non-drunk driver. And includes accidents caused by the non-drunk driver hitting a drunk driver.

It is easier to go after the minority and show results as opposed to go after the majority and not show results and annoy them and not get voted back into office.

Go after the reckless drivers !

Place parents in jail who knowingly drive through red lights and stop signs with children in their vehicles.
Rory

Hicksville, NY

#2 Jun 28, 2007
Give the police more authority - they should have been allowed to shoot or otherwise stop our friend Martin because he was driving the wrong way on the Meadowbrook. Had they done that, he never would have hit the limo.
Bill Dikant

Queensbury, NY

#3 Jun 28, 2007
Reckless drivers wrote:
More people are killed each year by reckless drivers and then by drunk drivers. This is all politics.
Further, the DWI accident/alcohol related rates include accidents that involve a drunk cyclists or pedestrian who is killed riding or walking in the road by a non-drunk driver. And includes accidents caused by the non-drunk driver hitting a drunk driver.
It is easier to go after the minority and show results as opposed to go after the majority and not show results and annoy them and not get voted back into office.
Go after the reckless drivers !
Place parents in jail who knowingly drive through red lights and stop signs with children in their vehicles.
Boy O Boy, your a sad case.but then again you may sing a different tune when one of your loved ones are Killed by a DRUNK,That is if you have any loved ones.
Yo Bill

Englewood, CO

#4 Jun 28, 2007
What if my loved one was killed by a reckless driver ? I would sing a tune too wouldn't I ?
Steve on LI

United States

#5 Jun 28, 2007
So let me get this right any parent whom has one drink to many and gets a dwi with a child in the car should spend time and jail and possibly have his/her and there childrens life recked forever. People make mistakes lets treat every incident on its own merits. How many people in NY can say they never drove a car with there child in it after a few drinks??? How about cell phone drivers???? How about some common sense???
What a genius

Overland Park, KS

#6 Jun 28, 2007
Good job Chuck... because when we throw the parent in jail I'm sure the child will be a lot better off.
Does anyone think these things through with the child's best interests really at heart?
Yeah, in a perfect world, nobody would do things like drink and drive. But many of the people with kids shouldn't even have been allowed to reproduce!
I don't see how jailing their parents is going to help their development.
Stop DWI Deaths

Jericho, NY

#10 Jun 28, 2007
How to stop DWI:

Stop selling Beer & wine at gas stations!

Newsday must refuse to advertise alcohol especially beer.

Penalties for no license must be loss of vehicle no exceptions.

Bring back vicarious liability!
If lenders are liable they will search driving records in all states.

Make all traffic penalties double for vehicles over 3,750Lbs.
amh

Highlands, NJ

#11 Jun 28, 2007
Bill Dikant wrote:
<quoted text> Boy O Boy, your a sad case.but then again you may sing a different tune when one of your loved ones are Killed by a DRUNK,That is if you have any loved ones.
Sorry, but "Reckless Drivers" is right and the stats prove it. Far more accidents, injuries and deaths are caused by reckless and illegal drivers than by DWI's.

There are already laws on the books that address DWI/DUI drivers who injure/kill people, making it a crime. But there are NO laws on the books AT ALL that makes it a crime to injure/kill people in the course of illegally driving (no license, suspended/revoked license, no insurance, no registration). Currently those things are only traffic violations/infractions that involve only minimal fines and perhaps another suspension/revocation of a drivers license (which was ignored to begin with). That they caused an injury or death in the process of driving illegally plays no factor, so currently these people cannot be brought up on charges of vehicular assault/manslaughter. They maime, kill, and destroy other lives and they walk away scot free of any punishment or being held accountable for that in any way.

There's nothing wrong with strengthening the penalties for DWI/DUI...but how about FIRST passing laws that will protect innocent lives from the multitude of illegal drivers that maime and kill through their disregard of the law and aren't DWI/DUI? The legislation that addresses it IS currently sitting there in Albany (yet again) being unacted upon.

Unfortunately there is no lobbying group to take up this issue with Albany, whereas DWI has the strong lobbying arm (and $$$) of MADD and thus is getting the skewered media attention.

If you or one of your loved ones is injured or killed by a non-DWI illegal driver as have I, perhaps then you'll wake up, finally "get it," and start singing a very different tune yourself.

Bill Dikant

Queensbury, NY

#12 Jun 29, 2007
amh wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but "Reckless Drivers" is right and the stats prove it. Far more accidents, injuries and deaths are caused by reckless and illegal drivers than by DWI's.
There are already laws on the books that address DWI/DUI drivers who injure/kill people, making it a crime. But there are NO laws on the books AT ALL that makes it a crime to injure/kill people in the course of illegally driving (no license, suspended/revoked license, no insurance, no registration). Currently those things are only traffic violations/infractions that involve only minimal fines and perhaps another suspension/revocation of a drivers license (which was ignored to begin with). That they caused an injury or death in the process of driving illegally plays no factor, so currently these people cannot be brought up on charges of vehicular assault/manslaughter. They maime, kill, and destroy other lives and they walk away scot free of any punishment or being held accountable for that in any way.
There's nothing wrong with strengthening the penalties for DWI/DUI...but how about FIRST passing laws that will protect innocent lives from the multitude of illegal drivers that maime and kill through their disregard of the law and aren't DWI/DUI? The legislation that addresses it IS currently sitting there in Albany (yet again) being unacted upon.
Unfortunately there is no lobbying group to take up this issue with Albany, whereas DWI has the strong lobbying arm (and $$$) of MADD and thus is getting the skewered media attention.
If you or one of your loved ones is injured or killed by a non-DWI illegal driver as have I, perhaps then you'll wake up, finally "get it," and start singing a very different tune yourself.
I have been singing a different tune for a damn long time!. My Wife, Son Daughter was killed by a Drunk Driver and my son 6 yrs. severly injured.
Harry
#13 Jun 29, 2007
Since drunk driving became a political issue circa 1980, other things have entered the driving scene: road rage, cell phones, and the no-show 8 year renewable license. Thanks to lax traffic law enforcement and the plea bargain system, sociopathic driving behavior has become mainstream. It's time to make having a license meaningful. Irresponsible drivers -- for whatever reason -- should get their licenses suspended or revoked and EVERYONE caught driving without a valid license should get punishment currently reserved only for drunks.
ralph

Deer Park, NY

#14 Dec 7, 2013
I was tboned while riding my bike by a commercial van in a 7 11 parking lot. I was wearing a red parka and it was 230 pm. My bike getting caught under his chassis got him to stop because he didnt
right away after hitting me. Hard to believe? I took a hard fall on hip and ribs but being in excellent shape even at 60 I was just sore in five places. Cops asked what happened and I said I couldn't fathom how he could not have seen me unless it was glare or he sneezed. Ironically he was chinese and is going to repalce my bike when he gets the money. It was totaled and my head and shoulder were 1 foot away from getting rolled on! Did cops give him a test? Nope! I currently have a 3 year suspension for two refusals because I was pulled over at night for doing nothing wrong although I had a few beers earlier and drove home later as a precaution. NG The cops aresst you like vultures and get sick satisfaction making flimsy arrests and will destroy evidence to the contrary.The abuse of power displayed in this witchhunt is off the charts. And you are a condemned person with no rights and it cost a fortune to defend yourself. You are never getting a trial and fter 15 trips to court you fold and go into the system and have to put up with getting pancaked and fleeced all over again. 44 years driving only one bs speeding ticket 72 and no accidents. Does that count? Nope! Shut up and pay up! Gross injustice and scam to swindle the poor guy just wanting to see friends. Yes you are a pinhead Chuck!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

East Hampton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kristen Scannell Saratoga Springs NY Adds New H... Dec 23 Kristen Scannell ... 2
$326 Million Mega Millions Jackpot Win Is Large... Nov '14 Ekkchai Ariyawong 1
Pelosi sues Suffolk DA for $150M (Jan '08) Aug '14 Jane 55
LaValle, Thiele secure 4-poster bucks Aug '14 Hangman 2
County Tick Committee members learn they'll soo... Aug '14 jim 1
Greenport principal to replace Hynes Jul '14 Siskeeter 1
Tom Fortino: One of the reasons why you need to... (Jun '14) Jun '14 Tiago 1

East Hampton News Video

East Hampton Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

East Hampton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

East Hampton News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in East Hampton

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:56 am PST

ESPN 8:56AM
Sources: Ryan expects to be fired by Jets
NFL 9:05 AM
Jason Pierre-Paul: 'I think I'm worth a lot of money'
Bleacher Report 9:24 AM
Report: Jets HC Ryan 'Bracing for His Ouster'
Bleacher Report 6:10 PM
Could Cutler, Shanahan Reunion Work for Jets?
Bleacher Report 8:23 PM
RB Darkwa the Latest Giants Rookie to Shine