Dublin high school to install 4,000 solar panels

Mar 6, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Athens Banner-Herald

A high school in middle Georgia is set to install 4,000 solar panels to reduce its energy costs by roughly 40 percent.

Comments
1 - 9 of 9 Comments Last updated Mar 13, 2013
Solarman

La Quinta, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2013

Judged:

"A high school in middle Georgia is set to install 4,000 solar panels to reduce its energy costs by roughly 40 percent."

Lacking in content, this article leaves a lot to be desired. In reading some of the "assumptions" made by some of the commentors on this article, it is apparent much more information is needed. Some think the panels will need to be replaced in seven years. Some posted pictures of small panels used for remote camping, emergency power use. These are not the same as a large scale utility sized array such as the one at this school. Most panel manufacturers give an 80% of new power output up to 25 years of use. Seven years? None of the ones who posted on the article seem to have taken into account the amount of tax money each year that the school uses to pay utilities instead of pay for books, teachers and instruction aids. The new crop of solar PV panels being manufactured today have better quality control than past generations of PV panels and better quality control on manufacturing lines. If a panel manufacturer is willing to give a specific power output warranty after 25 years of use, how long will the panels last and put out good usable power? Electricity prices seem to be going up not down, so every year with the solar PV system allows more funds to be used on education instead of electrification.
Thomas

Macon, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

Judged:

Total waste of money, just like those ridiculously hideous "solar streetlights" that are ugly-ing up downtown Dublin.

Those solar panels will never regain their cost, they have to be replaced before they ever can.

They are very expensive, and the reason you don't see a lot of private businesses using them a lot if because they are too cost prohibitive, but the government has no problem wasting our tax dollars on this. Go figure
Solarman

La Quinta, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

Judged:

Thomas wrote:
Total waste of money, just like those ridiculously hideous "solar streetlights" that are ugly-ing up downtown Dublin.
Those solar panels will never regain their cost, they have to be replaced before they ever can.
They are very expensive, and the reason you don't see a lot of private businesses using them a lot if because they are too cost prohibitive, but the government has no problem wasting our tax dollars on this. Go figure
You have the internet in front of you, Tom-asss. Use it to look a little less foolish. Any ligitimate solar PV panel manufacturer will warranty their product to put out 90% for a new panel for up to 10 years, 20 to 25 years for an 80% output. If a manufacturer is willing to put a warranty on their product of up to 25 years, how long will the product really last? This is not a sprint, it is a marathon. The solar PV product could last many generations and be an item that is past down like antique furniture. Once it was Gramdma's settee, now it's Grampa's solar panels.
Thomas

Macon, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

Judged:

Interesting, even the news story on WMAZ stated tonight that the cost of the LEASE (not purchase) for the taxpayers for this rig is over 3.2 million dollars for 25 years, and it is expected to save the school $100,000 in power.

Typical obama economics.

And I DO know what I speak of, I am stating facts, and not advocating we "use green energy no matter the cost"
Solarman

La Quinta, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

Judged:

Thomas wrote:
Interesting, even the news story on WMAZ stated tonight that the cost of the LEASE (not purchase) for the taxpayers for this rig is over 3.2 million dollars for 25 years, and it is expected to save the school $100,000 in power.
Typical obama economics.
And I DO know what I speak of, I am stating facts, and not advocating we "use green energy no matter the cost"
WMAZ is as clueless as you are, nice match for YOUR news. Where in the hell did you get,"use green energy no matter the cost"? Did you just pull that out of your Tom-asss? YOU have no facts. If you would like some try www.dsireusa.org . See what programs are available in your neck of the woods. Instead of pontificating wrote incorrect stupidity, try some responsibility, put a little solar PV or hot water on your roof and offset YOUR own energy usage.
You do realize, schools use YOUR tax money to pay their electric bills? If they offset or eliminate their electricity requirements, the money saved can be used for actual education.
Thomas

Macon, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

Judged:

Apparently "Use green energy no matter the cost" applies when WE (taxpayers) are forking out $3.2 Million dollars to "save" $100.000. You must be using that "new math", because nobody I know thinks that is any kind of savings.

WMAZ didn't really "report" this story, they filmed MAGE solars representatives telling about it. I would presume the solar people wouldn't be clueless on this, "solar man"

So please tell me, why these large scale solar systems are such big news when installed, and why are they not in mass useage all over the US, if they are so great?
Solarman

La Quinta, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

Judged:

Thomas wrote:
Apparently "Use green energy no matter the cost" applies when WE (taxpayers) are forking out $3.2 Million dollars to "save" $100.000. You must be using that "new math", because nobody I know thinks that is any kind of savings.
WMAZ didn't really "report" this story, they filmed MAGE solars representatives telling about it. I would presume the solar people wouldn't be clueless on this, "solar man"
So please tell me, why these large scale solar systems are such big news when installed, and why are they not in mass useage all over the US, if they are so great?
Yeah Tom-assss, the WMAZ report also says the energy savings is 100K a year the "first" year and probably more in future years. Why? Electric rates are not going down, so when one offsets their electricity usage by installing solar PV, then the increases in electricity rates are also less. In the case of the school, that means less TAX money is used to pay the eelctric bill. Where have YOU been? There are quite a number of solar PV installations on public and private buildings. Seek and ye shall find. Of course your inability to read and comprehend as shown by your spinning of the WMAZ report on the schools solar PV system is proof. IT'S 100K plus a year for at least 25 years, not 100K over 25 years. Jeez!!!
Thomas

Macon, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2013

Judged:

Ok, so $100K per year, here it is broken down in simple terms; $100,000 a year times 25 years is only $2.5 million, and the lease for the panels is for $3.5 million. So us TAXPAYERS who are paying for this are losing a million dollars right off the bat. How is this economical?

The cost of electricty may go up, but the efficiency of the panels go down as the years go by. What is 100% this year will not be 80% effective a few years down the road.

Lets not forget the cost of continued maintenance, likely damage, etc., this will cut into any perceived value as well.

Would you please tell me why this is such big news, and why these things are not more commonly used? I think it's quite obvious; "Use green enegy no matter the cost" A million dollars is a quite a lot of money to waste, just to make folks "feel good".
Thomas

Macon, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2013

Judged:

Correction, I meant "$3.2 million" (cost to the schools/taxpayers) to save approx.$100,000 per year, for 25 years.

Fact is, that "savings" total is $2.5 million, at a cost of $3.2 million.

And I get flagged as spam and such for pointing this FACT out? Ridiculous.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent East Dublin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 4 min Oh my 52,963
joseph david rawlins (Mar '11) 6 hr Englynndent 2
Wilcox catch twenty two (Feb '14) 20 hr HOTSHOT 13
Glenn Littleton Aug 24 really 10
jasmine Bennett Aug 22 Range Rover 2
Robyn jones Aug 20 WonderWoman 4
GA Who do you support for Governor in Georgia in 2... (Oct '10) Jul '14 what 2,045

Search the East Dublin Forum:
•••
•••
East Dublin Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

East Dublin Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••